Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Who is everybody?

READ THESE THREADS FIRST: Official announcements from board staff can be found here.
kgibson

Re: Who is everybody?

Post by kgibson »

Considering it's eleven thirty pm and I have a tournament tomorrow I could gave picked a better time to do this but something in my mind was like "Hey! Let's do this! It's not like you have anything better to be doing!" which is a complete lie because I could be sleeping. My name is Katie Gibson, and I'm a junior who attends Fulton High School.

In my free time I like to run cross country, help manage the track team, and look up the stats of opposing teams. I enjoy reading, watching movies and television, and eating. I've been a member of the academic team for three years, however due to complications, a competing member for only two. If you've faced Fulton within the past two years, I'm the short brunette girl that can't control her laughter. It's a problem that I'm working on.

One more thing, does it ever irritate anyone else that you can't indent with coding? I mean you can with css but this board doesn't even allow html so css is out of the question.

JosephHaley

Post by JosephHaley »

Joseph "Joey" Haley
Pacific High School (Currently Enrolled)
I plan on attending Missouri S&T getting a Major in Computer Engineering and a Minor in Political Science.
Speech Team, Computer Programming, Music Production, and Debate :D

merv1618

Post by merv1618 »

It just occurred to me that I never actually posted here.
I'm Adam Sperber, founder and sort of asst. coach of Hickman's qb program, as well as the current vengeful neg demon and good looks of Northwestern's team up outside Chicago. I'm usually helping out Columbia teams when I'm in town, and I can also use two adverbs in a row as shown in the previous sentence.

Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt organiser
MLK Magnet '13, Vanderbilt '17 (Neuroscience)
Here for all the 20+ West TN schools that need more good quizbowl and have little info about stuff close to them.
Last edited by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin on Wed May 25, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cgrantmaledy

Post by cgrantmaledy »

--C. Grant Maledy
---Salem High School, class of 99
---MSU class of 06 (Bachelor of Music Education) and Class of 13 (Master of Music)
---Currently Director of Instrumental Music in Sedalia, MO, coaching Smith-Cotton High School
---I don't really have much in the way of hobbies, aside from music and quiz bowl

nice to be here.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

cgrantmaledy wrote:--C. Grant Maledy
---Salem High School, class of 99
Oh thank God someone older than me on this thing...

cgrantmaledy

Post by cgrantmaledy »

you're only as old as you feel. I feel ancient. congrats on not being the old guy!

KevinCrowder

Post by KevinCrowder »

Kevin M. Crowder
Bourbon High School '93
A.A. East Central College '06
B.A. Missouri Baptist University '09
M.A.T. Missouri Baptist University '12
6-8 ELA Teacher and Quiz Bowl Sponsor,
Sunrise R-IX Middle School, De Soto, MO
:mrgreen:

CoachSothers

Post by CoachSothers »

Tom Sothers
Scholar Bowl Coach for De Smet Jesuit since 2005
St. Louis Univ Class of 2005 BA History/Education
Washington Univ 2011 Master of Liberal Arts
I teach AP USH, I used to teach AP World History.
I coached Track and Cross Country for 20 years, 1985 to 2005

Lakeland Scholar Bowl

Post by Lakeland Scholar Bowl »

Josh Malecki

Fort Osage HS Varsity/JV Scholar Bowl coach 2012-present
Osage Trail MS Scholar Bowl coach 2003-2012
B.S. in Ed-Social Studies - UCM 2000
M.A. in History - UCM 2008
Dual Credit teacher - UMKC Early American, Recent American History and Western Civilization @ FOHS 2012-present

College Bowl participant 1997-98 - UCM History Club (UCM doesn't have a team, they had clubs compete for the title - made no sense to me!!)
Raytown High School Varsity Scholar Bowl 1994-1996 (played for good ol' Lou Renfrow)
All State - 1996, All-District 1995, 96, All-Conference 1995, 96
Lost State Championship in 1996 to NKC (the Wehrman brothers!!) and still losing to them (NKC HS)as Coach on a regular basis...
(the more things change, the more they...)

ilikebooks

Post by ilikebooks »

Hi, I'm Joe Stitz
I play for Washington, and I'm graduating in 2017 (sophomore), blame Jacob/Dennis for getting me addicted to checking this board for tournaments, and I felt the need to join because why not
College? Psh I got time for decisions later
As for future plans I hope to read my list of over 350 books I've compiled on a quizlet list, cause well "username."
My other hobbies are well... Protobowl? (High score is currently over 50,000 in the literature category because other subjects don't really fit my fancy), and I play video games but really what teenager doesn't?
Anyways, I hope to not be an annoyance to others on this board, because really after reading Catcher in the Rye, teenage angst is the WORST.

Thanks,

Joe

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

ilikebooks wrote:Hi, I'm Joe Stitz
I play for Washington, and I'm graduating in 2017 (sophomore), blame Jacob/Dennis for getting me addicted to checking this board for tournaments.
You can also blame me for getting you addicted to poetry, so....yeah.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Mickey0R0urke wrote:
ilikebooks wrote:Hi, I'm Joe Stitz
I play for Washington, and I'm graduating in 2017 (sophomore), blame Jacob/Dennis for getting me addicted to checking this board for tournaments.
You can also blame me for getting you addicted to poetry, so....yeah.
Regardless I plan on blaming you if he is an annoyance to others on this board.

NDbulldogalumni

Post by NDbulldogalumni »

Mark Blanton
Current: Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team (Roll Tide!)
University of Alabama Class of 2016; Journalism and Economics
Past quizbowl: Notre Dame High School, 2009-2012
2x All-State; Top 3 in Class 3 twice (team performance); holds school's Social Studies question record
Interests: International Finance, History, Chess, Quizbowl (of course)

bolshevik

Post by bolshevik »

Well, no rules against bumping practically dead threads. (Right?)

Hey all, I'm Michael and I play for Louisiana.
My hobbies include playing chess once every several months, playing video games (including C:SS/Gmod bhop), hanging out with my pals Brett and Caleb, and studying for quizbowl. I didn't have a specialty last year but I'll likely put a slight focus on science from now on - although I will remain a generalist: a wise man once said "the best generalists are killer in one of the Big Three and decent everywhere else", and although I wouldn't call myself a good generalist yet, I aim on getting there one day soon.
I've never been much for sports (other than track which I did last year), and I've always had a passion for learning, so quizbowl really clicked with me. I started in 6th grade by restarting the middle school's team. I skipped 7th grade, and in 8th grade, we went undefeated (I don't remember much from that year but I do remember it was a heckin' good time).

Some stuff about the team:
Last year we had a pretty successful season. I feel our group really has potential so I'm excited for what's to come. Our A team this year will likely consist of senior Bryan, sister Marin, Tyler, Brett, Caleb, and I (last five are all sophomores). We're going to make sure we attend quality tournaments this year (but unfortunately we'll only be able to attend 5 due to our conference schedule taking up 9 of those events).
Fun fact: our first tournament win and first district win in school history took place last year. We'll see if we can continue that trend!

I believe that about wraps it up. Hope to see some of you this year!

DustinBax

Post by DustinBax »

Dustin Bax
Tuscumbia High School
Class of 2018

- Play on the Tuscumbia High School academic team
- Conduct and compete with student research, currently a fan of mycology(fungi) and environmental science
- Fan of Video games
- Tech enthusiast
- National Honor Society and High Student Council
- Member of Missouri Mycological Society
- I am undecided about which college and what major
- I will try to keep updated with this post, so I'll let you all know when I make career plans

Sincerely,
Dustin Bax

CjPhinn

Post by CjPhinn »

Cole Phinney
Washington High School
Class of 2017

Hobbies:
Played football (4 years)
Ran Track (3 years)
Hunting and fishing

College Plans:
Missouri S&T

ganman0305

Post by ganman0305 »

Hi guys! My name is Ganon Evans and at the time I am writing this, I am a junior at Francis Howell High School. I'm graduating in 2018 and I am currently planning my college experience this year. As of now, I have no clue where I would like to go for certain or what I would like to do particularly. However, the vigorous election last year has gotten me interested in politics, particularly foreign affairs.

Anyways, outside of Scholar Bowl, I'm the junior class president at I am currently running for the same position in the senior class. When I'm free from school or any other related activities, my first priority is to hang out with my family. My father and I are avid bike riders and often venture off into the nearby August Busch Wildlife Preserve to explore. After that, I love to connect with my close friends over computer games. I particularly love Europa Universalis IV, Civilization 5, and I have a particular sweet spot for anything from the Borderlands franchise. In the summer, I participate in a D&D group with some of my closest friends.

Other than that, I look forward to chatting with you all on here and at future competitions!!

BenHelias

Post by BenHelias »

Ben Husting
Helias Catholic High School
Class of 2018

Aside from quizbowl, I play the trumpet, I play tennis, and I watch basketball. I also watch lots of movies.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Welcome to you both.

lottie

Post by lottie »

I'm Allyson Lotz. I played quiz bowl at Eureka High School ('15) and currently run quiz bowl at Truman State ('19). I'm a computer science and mathematics double major with a completed minor in music, and you can find most of my hobbies in one of those three topics.

MCY

Post by MCY »

Matt Yaple
I'm the quiz bowl coach at Lathrop. Only my second year coaching. I did play in high school way back in '95. I teach history at Lathrop, and also for Columbia College. I wish they would ask more questions about classic movies, and fewer questions about geography.

sportsrainman

Post by sportsrainman »

Max Ryle
Cuba High School
Class of 2018

As a team, coached by the legendary Gary Durbin, we recently placed 4th in Class 3, making the Top 4 for the first time since the iconic Paul Nelson graced our halls around 20 years ago.
Myself and teammate Jackson were named all-state mainly because our other teammate Eli made sure we wouldn't ever have to struggle through math questions and our other teammate Malachi could never beat me to a Dracula or Heart of Darkness question.
As a team, we were pretty much as balanced as you could get, which will make my senior season without them even more difficult, mainly because I will now be charged with struggling through science questions and as many lower level math questions that I can do in my head.
Proud to say that I managed to not drop a sports question at the state meet (which was all of like, 6 questions), but a proud achievement, nonetheless.
Hope to see many of you at tournaments next year!
*Update* I will be attending Mizzou in the fall of 2018 to study Journalism!
Last edited by sportsrainman on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrEye

Post by MrEye »

Dakota Ioanis
Calhoun High School
7th-12th Grade Social Studies Teacher (2017-Present)
Quiz Bowl Coach (2017-Present)

Drury University, '16 (Springfield, MO)
(Bachelor of Science, magna cum laude - History)

Truman High School, '09 (Independence, MO)

Hello everyone, my name is Dakota Ioanis. I am the quiz bowl coach at Calhoun High School, located in Calhoun, Missouri (which is about 45 minutes southwest of Sedalia, 15 to 20 minutes northeast of Clinton). I am happy to be back on this message board after nearly a decade away from scholar bowl! I may have taken a more leisurely route to get to this point, but I am really excited to (finally) be teaching, and just as excited to be a quiz bowl coach!

I was a member of the Truman High School scholar bowl team that made it to the MSHSAA championship back in 2009. That year, my team also qualified for, and participated in, the NAQT National Championship in Chicago, which was an amazing experience! I have only participated in one quiz bowl activity since 2009; I was a moderator in 2016 for the MSHSAA District Championship, specifically for Class 1, District 12 (it was hosted by my fiancee's school, Wellington-Napoleon). Needless to say, I believe I am a bit out of touch with the quiz bowl community, but I am expecting that to change!

I am the 7th-12th Grade Social Studies teacher at Calhoun, which is a small, class 1 school with just over 100 students in the entire district. Calhoun did win a couple of MSHSAA District Championships back in 2013 and 2014, so there is a tradition of some success. I am looking forward to building onto that previous success.

RavioliPrince

Post by RavioliPrince »

I'm Brandon Moore, I play for Centralia. I enjoy quizbowl (obviously), specifically, learning about literature. I'm graduating in 2018, and I'm still not sure what college I want to go to. I'm also very involved in band, choir, and student council. Michael Powers is the bane of my existence and I refuse to acknowledge him as a 'friend.'

bolshevik

Post by bolshevik »

RavioliPrince wrote:I'm Brandon Moore, I play for Centralia. I enjoy quizbowl (obviously), specifically, learning about literature. I'm graduating in 2018, and I'm still not sure what college I want to go to. I'm also very involved in band, choir, and student council. Michael Powers is an inspiration and I am glad to acknowledge him as a 'friend.'
ftfy 8)

buzzergirl

Post by buzzergirl »

I'm Savannah Dillard, and I'm a sophomore (class of 2020) at Thomas Jefferson Independent Day School.
College plans: undecided.
My non-quiz-bowl-related hobbies include music (violin, voice, piano, and viola), reading way too much for my own good, browsing the Internet, participating in school musicals, and playing basketball.
I love quiz bowl, and I'm excited for a great season ahead.

oldschoolandrew

Post by oldschoolandrew »

Andrew Reynolds
Centralia High School
Business and Information Technology Teacher
Assistant Quiz Bowl Coach

I'm in my third year as the assistant quiz bowl coach at Centralia High School. I enjoy the 3 minutes of spare time I have each week (teaching, 2 young children, wife is a 1st grade teacher in COMO, second job driving charter busses, FBLA adviser, three current regional/state association leadership positions).

Before becoming the assistant quiz bowl coach at Centralia I had no experience with quiz bowl other than poorly moderating a few of our home matches.
It has amazed me how much I've learned just by sitting in practice and matches over the past two years.

stevejmoore

Post by stevejmoore »

Steve Moore
Pleasant Hill High School
Head Coach
Varsity & JV Scholar Bowl
2015-present
BS. Ed. in English, Missouri State 2008
MS. Ed. in Ed. Admin, Missouri State 2010
Ph.D. in progress, Education, UMKC, 2018
English Language Arts teacher, 2009-present
Chess club sponsor, XC Coach
Varsity Member of Scholar Bowl at Blue Springs High School (class of 2003)

abrandon

Post by abrandon »

Audrey Brandon
Four year member of the Moberly HS team, class of 2017
Currently at Central Methodist University working on a double major in Psych and Math
I do a lot of band things too
Staffing tournaments here and there, to and fro

GreenArmy

Post by GreenArmy »

-Megan Smith
-Graduated De Soto High School in 2012, Four Year member of the Academic Team
-Graduated UMSL in 2016, BA in Anthropology and German
-Assistant Coach of De Soto High School Academic Team since 2016
-TFA-Mississippi '18 Corps member
-hobbies are basically reading and watching Netflix/Hulu

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Huh....I guess in 4 years I've never actually done this.

---name: "Lord" Scott Walker (My Best Western Rewards card calls me a Lord, so its legitimate)
---high school on which you played Academic Competition (and graduation date): I didn't play in High School. I went to 3 different High Schools and Graduated Kickapoo HS in May 2005.
---college you are attending/will attend and your majors (and graduation date): Missouri State University. Graduated 2009 with my BS in English Education and 2017 with my MA in English Language, Arts, and Literature
---other future plans: Teach English, some technology, theater, and Academic Team/Scholar Bowl/Quiz Bowl (and other affiliated names for these teams)
---hobbies (not including Academic Competition), etc. I am an avid Video Game player and semi-professional Saxophonist. I also love being incredibly awkward in all social environments and settings.

ClaHa

Post by ClaHa »

You can call me C. I’m from Nevada-the west side of the state. I’m a junior and I play varsity. I enjoy cyberstalking our competition when I should be studying. Been haunting this site for a while but decided I should go ahead and make an account.

Jcm48

Post by Jcm48 »

This thread is a bit quiet but my as well resurrect it.

My name is Joel Miles, I'm the captain of Raymore-Peculiar's (SE Kansas City) team, have been for a couple years now. I'm a junior and will graduate and do god knows what in 2021 - probably just fail at college instead of fail at high school, if I had to guess. Pleased to meet y'all!

mwahlquist

Post by mwahlquist »

Hello!
This is Michelle Wahlquist, the sponsor of Fair Grove Scholar Bowl. I graduated from West Plains in '82 and SMSU (before it was MSU) and have taught Language Arts classes, including journalism, at Buffalo, Ozark, Kickapoo, and Fair Grove High Schools. I have sponsored quizbowl since 2016 and it has been such a fun part of my teaching career. I have truly enjoyed witnessing the growth in quizbowl and am excited to see where it goes from here.

Fair Grove High School
Language Arts and Scholar Bowl

acsikifejer

Post by acsikifejer »

Hi! I’m Anna Csiki-Fejer, I played quizbowl for Parkway West High School for three years and graduated in 2022. I’ll be majoring in Chemistry (for now at least) and I plan on staffing various high school tournaments in the St. Louis region and claiming to be retired from competing. Outside of quizbowl, my hobbies include watching Attack on Titan, skating, and running faster than my brother.

seth.brummond

Post by seth.brummond »

Hello Scholars,

I'm Seth Brummond.
High school graduate from Bowling Green, Missouri, in 2005
BS in Secondary Mathematics Education from Northwest Missouri State University in 2010
MS in Educational Technology from the University of Central Missouri in 2013
(+18) Dual credit teaching certification from Central Methodist in 2018
and working on a doctorate in Education (Curriculum and Instruction) from Kansas University
If you stay in college forever, you never have to repay student loans, but I don't recommend it.

I advocate diversity and inclusion in my workplace (Lee's Summit West High School). My hobbies include an obsession with board games, card games, and video games. My wall of board games with over 100 games is a hidden local landmark with board game nights as often as others host Poker Nights.