Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Tiger Bowl VI at Mizzou - January 25th, 2014

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
khrum

Tiger Bowl VI at Mizzou - January 25th, 2014

Post by khrum »

Greetings, coaches!

I'm pleased to announce the sixth iteration of Tiger Bowl to be hosted by the University of Missouri Quizbowl Club. We are moving this tournament to its original January date; it will be run on the 25th of January in the Arts and Sciences Building. We will be using HSAPQ's HT-42 question set for this tournament. This tournament will abide by all MSHSAA rules, and will use PACE rules for scoring (20 tossups with 30 point rebounding bonuses, and tossups will have no point penalties for an early buzz that is incorrect, and powers, or an extra 10 points for a correct early buzz.) All teams attending can expect to play at least 10 rounds, with more for teams expecting to be competitive in the playoffs.

We will be giving out trophies to the top 3 teams, and if we have a large enough field of small schools, we will also give out an award to the top placing small school team. We will be using NAQT's definition of a small school, which is any non-selective public school with 500 or fewer students in grades 10-12.

This tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players. If you have more than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games.

The field will be capped at 36 teams. Spaces will be allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will form a waitlist, and if teams drop, we will proceed down the list in order. If the field fills, then we will be able to guarantee you a 10 game schedule, which we are very excited to offer your team to allow them to get increased early season playing time. The top teams will qualify for the 2013 PACE National Scholastics Championship.

Field (31/36):
Parkway West
Calvary Lutheran
Rock Bridge A
Rock Bridge B
Rock Bridge C
Hickman A
Hickman B
Marquette
Savannah
Fort Osage
Webster Groves A
Webster Groves B
Helias A
Helias B
Helias C
De Smet A
De Smet B
Waynesville A
Waynesville B
Mehlville
Ladue A
Ladue B
Ladue C
Ladue D
Oakville A
Oakville B
Centralia A
Centralia B
Tuscumbia
Hallsville A
Hallsville B

Fee Structure:
First team from a school: $65
Additional teams from the same school: $60 per team
Buzzer system discount*: -$5 per system per team, up to $15 off.
Staffer discounts: -$5 per team that brings a scorekeeper, and -$15 for each experienced moderator a team brings. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing. We will provide the scorekeeper with a lunch. For both the staff discounts, we need to know about your plans to bring staff before the tournament, and we reserve the right to not take you up on your staff and their discount.

Registering:

This is the first year that we are going to use a Google Form to register. Coaches, pleasure click here in order to access the form. Registration will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will email all of the coaches to ask for rosters around a month before the tournament.

We hope to see you on January 25th in Columbia for an excellent tournament! If you have any questions or concerns, please email me at itamar_naveh_benjamin@yahoo.com.

Itamar Naveh-Benjamin
Tournament Co-Director
Last edited by khrum on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nate Kinast

Re: Tiger Bowl VI at Mizzou - January 25th, 2014

Post by Nate Kinast »

I believe that in its present format, the Google form is not allowing 0 to be chosen as an option for number of buzzer systems, moderators, or scorekeepers, but they are required questions.

khrum

Post by khrum »

I believe I've fixed it.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

This tournament will abide by all MSHSAA rules, and will use PACE rules for scoring (20 tossups with 30 point rebounding bonuses, and tossups will have no point penalties for an early buzz that is incorrect, and powers, or an extra 10 points for a correct early buzz.)
You may want to clarify this statement. Coaches should take note that this is not a MSHSAA-style event. What that statement probably should say is that it does comply with all restrictions that MSHSAA requires.

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

scorekeeper option for zero is still not fixed. I clicked 1, but we will not be bringing a scorekeeper.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Is there a field for this yet?

christino

Post by christino »

Mickey0R0urke wrote:Is there a field for this yet?
I too would like to know.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Here are the stats reports for the tournament.

Prelims
Playoffs
Superplayoffs and Finals
Combined

Let me know if there are any corrections to be made, and I'll fix them as soon as I can.

Zurvan

Post by Zurvan »

Let me know if there are any corrections to be made, and I'll fix them as soon as I can.
It's not really of much consequence, but I only played half a game against Ladue D.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Zurvan wrote:
It's not really of much consequence, but I only played half a game against Ladue D.
This has been fixed. (along with the switching of stats between Oakville's Mike's in round 5 and the Hickman tossups issue in round 3-apparently you can't get 21 tossups in a packet!)

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Who came up with the pool names? Needs more Zaxby's.

Congrats to Ladue for another strong performance and all teams for participating.