Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Truman Bowl V (4/5/2014)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Mickey0R0urke

Truman Bowl V (4/5/2014)

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Hello Coaches!

I am pleased to announce that Truman Bowl V will be taking place on the campus of Truman State University on April 5, 2014. We will be using NAQT’s IS 130, which was used for events at Hallsville on October 12 and Smithville in Kansas City on January 25, so if you attended those, you cannot attend this event (the set is also being used at Poplar Bluff on February 15, so please don't try to register for this tournament if your team attends Poplar Bluff).

Base Fee
$50 per Team
$45 per second and other subsequent teams from the same school (so if a school brings 3 teams, the cost will be $140 before discounts)

Discounts
$10 per working buzzer system (if your system does not allow 8 people to play at once, please don’t bring it)
$5 discount for each 100 miles traveled one-way (determined using Google Maps)
A staff discount is still in discussion.

We prefer to accept payment by cash or by a check made out to “Academic Competition Organization” on the day of the tournament. If you need an invoice to pay us for the tournament, please let me know no later than February 28.

For this year, we are going to try using a registration form instead of email registration. Please fill out this form here (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1odWVKJ ... E/viewform) to register for the tournament.

If you have any questions you’d like to ask about the tournament, please feel free to email the Tournament Director (myself) at jacob.orourke.7 [at] gmail.com.

Thanks, and I hope to see you all in Kirksville on April 5!

Jacob O’Rourke
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Re: Truman Bowl V (4/5/2014)

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Field (8/18):

Brookfield [1 Team, 1 Buzzer]
Troy Buchanan [1 Team, 0 Buzzers]
North Shelby [1 Team, 1 Buzzer]
Clark County [1 Team, 1 Buzzer]
Kirksville [4 Teams, 1 Buzzer]

Total: 4 Buzzers
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:25 am, edited 6 times in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I'm pleased to announce that Truman Bowl V has been awarded Platinum Certification by PACE. This means that the top 25% of the field will qualify for PACE Nationals, which will be the weekend of May 23-25. More details about PACE Nationals can be found here.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We've been assigned NAQT's IS 130 now. As almost no teams in our area have heard IS 130, this should allow for more teams to attend Truman Bowl. I'll be sending out more information shortly.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I'm pleased to announce that we have received sanctioning from MSHSAA. If anyone was waiting for that before registering, they are good to go now.

EDIT: Plus we've received a registration from Troy Buchanan, so we have 2 teams now. We still have plenty of spots open for the tournament.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

North Shelby has registered, which brings our team total to 3 teams. We still have plenty of room in the field, so keep the registrations coming in!

EDIT as of March 5: Clark County has registered, bringing us up to 4 teams. We still have plenty of room, so let me know if you're interested in attending and haven't heard the set yet!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Kirksville has just registered 4 teams, which brings us up to 8 teams attending this tournament. We still have plenty of room, so let me know and fill out the form if you'd like to attend!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Statistics for the tournament's first four rounds can be found here. We ended up running a 7 team round robin with byes because some of Troy-Buchanan's kids got sick.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Kirksville defeated Clark County in the first game of an advantaged final to take first place at Truman Bowl V. I have to say, this tournament was definitely a fun way to send off as Truman's tournament director. (I'll try and come back and staff some tournaments, though, after graduation).

Full Statistics can be found here (other than an issue with two games from the round robin that still need to be fixed-I just need to talk to coaches about stats from games still).

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Kirksville A and Clark County qualified for the PACe National Scholastics Championship, which is being held in Reston, VA (a suburb of Washington, D.C.). Kirksville A and (maybe? I need to confirm this with NAQT) Clark County qualified for NAQT's High School National Championship Tournament, which is being held in the Hyatt Regency in Rosemont, IL. Congratulations to both teams for qualifying!

Special thanks also goes out to my awesome staff (Houston Roberts, Uday Malhotra, Selena Montes, Calley Sivils, Gabe Hotz and especially Coach Odzinski for graciously helping us out for a few rounds). This tournament could not have run as well as it did without them.

bt_green_warbler

Post by bt_green_warbler »

Seven teams, so indeed both Kirksville and Clark County qualified for HSNCT.