Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Truman Bowl VII - March 19th, 2016

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
La Generica

Truman Bowl VII - March 19th, 2016

Post by La Generica »

Hello coaches,

I am pleased to announce that Truman Bowl VII will be taking place on Truman State University's campus on March 19th, 2016. This tournament will use NAQT's IS-151A which is also being used for tournaments at Marionville, Lee's Summit North, Orchard Farm, DeSmet, Perryville or Calvary Lutheran. If you have participated in ANY of these tournaments, you will be ineligible to attend Truman Bowl VII.

This tournament will consist of at least eight games for each team in a modified NAQT format:
  • Each game will consist of 20 tossups, with correct tossups followed by a three-part rebounding bonus.
  • Tossups will be worth 10 points each, with an additional 5 points awarded for a correct answer before a predetermined point in the question.
  • However, we will not be using a five point penalty for interrupting the moderator with an incorrect answer before the end of the tossup.
  • MSHSAA timing rules will apply, with two exceptions:
    • Teams will only receive five seconds to answer a bonus
    • Math calculation tossups and bonus will receive 10 seconds.
Teams will play 5 morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for 3 afternoon games. This is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. We plan to start the team meeting at 8:30 A.M. in Baldwin Hall 231, with the first round set for at 8:50 A.M. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:30 P.M. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending around 4 P.M.

Fees:
  • First team: $60
  • Additional teams: $55
  • Discount for travelling more than 100 miles each way (determined by Google Maps): $10
  • Alumni discount (see below): $10
  • Discount for providing a working buzzer set (must allow for 8 people at a time): $5 (maximum of $10)
  • Staff discount: $5 per staffer (maximum of $10)
To register for this tournament, please visit: http://tinyurl.com/TrumanBowlRegistration
The field will initially be capped at 12 teams but this may change depending on staff availability

Any questions concerning this tournaments may be directed to myself (snm2223@truman.edu), Houston Roberts (hr2662@truman.edu) or Kyle Hill (kyle@hillonline.net). Please include "Truman Bowl VII" in the subject line.

Thank you for your time, we hope to see you all on March 19th!
Last edited by La Generica on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Reklaw

Re: Truman Bowl VII - March 19th, 2016

Post by Reklaw »

La Generica wrote:Hello coaches,

I am pleased to announce that Truman Bowl VII will be taking place on Truman State University's campus on March 19th, 2016. This tournament will use NAQT's IS-135A which is also being used for tournaments at Marionville, Lee's Summit North, Orchard Farm, DeSmet, Perryville or Calvary Lutheran. If you have participated in ANY of these tournaments, you will be ineligible to attend Truman Bowl VII.

*snip*
Is the question set 135-A or 151-A? Marionville was 151-A this year and that number seems closer to the question sets for this year.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

NAQT has it listed as being on 151-A. It's also the same day and set as Houston High School's tournament.

Set 135-A was (as far as I can tell) last used over a year ago.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I've alerted Nicole and Houston to this discrepancy. Unless there's been a change (which is very unlikely) the correct set should be IS-151A.

As of 10am, this has been fixed in the original post.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Thanks...I was briefly excited to see a tournament in mid-march with a set we haven't seen... Oh well, maybe something else will present itself.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

As of this evening, I have withdrawn my services for this tournament. Reasons for my decision have been communicated to Truman ACO, affected coaches, and members of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance.

All correspondence for this tournament, including registration status, are to be directed to Houston Roberts (hr2662@truman.edu) or Nicole Montes (snm2233@truman.edu).