The members of Mexico High School Scholar Bowl are proud to debut the inaugural Mexico Fall Novice Tournament, and invite your team to participate in our tournament at Mexico High School, scheduled for October 15th, 2016. This tournament will consist of a minimum of eight games for all teams in a modified NAQT/national format:
- Each game shall consist of two halves of ten tossups each, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each, with an additional five-point “power” awarded for a correct answer given before a pre-determined point in the tossup.
- Unlike other national tournaments, we will NOT assess a five-point penalty for interrupting the moderator during the tossup with an incorrect answer.
- Unless otherwise specified in a bonus set, each bonus part shall be ten points each. Incorrect bonus parts shall immediately rebound.
- MSHSAA timing rules for tossups shall apply; however, teams shall receive only five seconds to answer a bonus. Moderators will be instructed to prompt after four seconds.
- There are no math computation tossups or bonus.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 60-second and one-30 second timeout per game. Teams may substitute at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team. However, coaches may not confer with their players during a 30-second timeout.
- Teams rosters shall be limited to seven players; schools are encouraged to bring multiple teams to compete. Teams may play with fewer than four players. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
We have secured the Pennsylvania Novice 2016 set. More information is available at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 09&t=18820. At present there are no other tournaments in Missouri using this set; should one be announced you will not be able to attend that tournament if you attend Mexico Fall Novice. Additionally, we are currently limiting the field to 12 teams; this may expand depending on staff availability. Additional teams will be placed on a waitlist and contacted should an opening occur.
As a novice tournament, the following roster restriction will be in place:
- All freshmen may compete. NO seniors may compete.
- Sophomores who have not competed at HSNCT, SSNCT or PACE NSC may compete.
- Juniors who have not previously competed at any 20/20 tournament may compete.
Teams will play five morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for at least three afternoon games. This setup is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. We plan to start the team meeting at 8:30 a.m., with the first round set for at 8:50 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending around 4 p.m.
Fee structure is as follows, per school:
- First team: $65
- Additional teams: $60
- Discount for travelling more than 100 miles each way (determined by Google Maps): $10
- Discount for providing a working buzzer set: $5 (maximum $10)
- Discount for providing competent staff: $5 per staffer (maximum $10)
All discounts are subject to the discretion of tournament officials.
Mexico High School is located at 639 N Wade Street, in the northwestern part of the city. Plans are to have lunch available in the cafeteria, with proceeds benefiting Audrain County Relay for Life. If you wish to venture off campus for lunch, most options will be along Highway 22 and in the downtown area.
The tournament is under the direction of Mexico High School Coach Dale Schenewerk and veteran scholar bowl moderator Kyle Hill of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, an organization dedicated to promoting quality scholar bowl tournaments around the state. We anticipate receiving certification and assistance from their membership.
To register for this tournament, please visit http://tinyurl.com/2016MexicoNovice. Questions concerning the tournament may be directed to either Dale Schenewerk at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kyle Hill email@example.com. Please include “2016 Mexico Fall Novice” in the subject line.
We look forward to seeing you at Mexico High School on October 15th.