Building on the successful development of OMAR, the members of Moberly High School Scholar Bowl are proud to debut the inaugural Moberly Young Scholars Tournament (MYST), and invite your team to participate in our tournament at Moberly Middle School, scheduled for November 5th, 2016.
We will host a junior varsity/novice division
- All freshmen may compete. NO seniors may compete.
- Sophomores who have not competed at HSNCT, SSNCT or PACE NSC may compete.
- Juniors who have not previously competed at any 20/20 tournament may compete.
- Each game shall consist of two halves of ten tossups each, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each,
with an additional five-point “power” awarded for a correct answer given before a pre-determined point in the tossup.(Correction: Neither set is powermarked.)
- Unlike other NAQT/national tournaments, we will NOT assess a five-point penalty for interrupting the moderator during the tossup with an incorrect answer.
- Unless otherwise specified in a bonus set, each bonus part shall be ten points each. Incorrect bonus parts shall immediately rebound.
- MSHSAA timing rules shall apply with the following exceptions:
- Teams shall receive only five seconds to answer a bonus. Moderators will be instructed to prompt after four seconds.
- In the event of math calculation tossups and bonus, they shall receive ten seconds instead of 15.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 60-second and one-30 second timeout per game. Teams may substitute at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team. However, coaches may not confer with their players during a 30-second timeout.
- Teams may play with fewer than four players. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
The high school novice division will play on the HSAPQ Novice set from HSAPQ, the writers of the Virginia state series and National All-Star Academic Tournament. More information and sample packets are available at hsapq.com. This set is also being used at an invitational tournament at Chamois on October 29th; you will not be able to attend both, or any other tournament using this set.
Teams will play five morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for at least two afternoon games. This setup is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. We plan to start the team meeting at 8:30 a.m., with the first round set for at 8:50 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending around 4 p.m.
Fee structure is as follows, per school:
- First team: $65
- Additional teams (if needed): $60
- Discount for travelling more than 100 miles each way (determined by Google Maps): $10
- Discount for providing a working buzzer set: $5 (maximum $10)
- Discount for providing competent staff: $5 per staffer (maximum $10)
Moberly Middle School is located at 920 KWIX Road. Please note the different location, as all-district choir auditions will be taking place at the high school on the same day. MMS is best accessed by taking Highway 63 to the Route M (Middle Grove) exit, then turning west into town about a half mile before turning right onto Gratz Brown Road. KWIX Road will be on your left just past the football field, at the four-way stop sign. Turn left onto KWIX Road, then left into the middle school. Most lunch options will be on North Morley/Business 63.
The tournament is under the direction of Moberly High School Coach Kathy Brandon and veteran scholar bowl moderator Kyle Hill of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, an organization dedicated to promoting quality scholar bowl tournaments around the state. Again we anticipate receiving certification and assistance from their membership.
To register for this tournament, please visit http://tinyurl.com/MYST2016Registration. Questions concerning the tournament may be directed to either Kathy Brandon at KathyBrandon@MoberlySpartans.org or Kyle Hill firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “MYST 2016” in the subject line.
We look forward to seeing you at Moberly Middle School on November 5th.