The MOQBA Fall Championship will use the 2016 Harvard Fall Tournament (HFT) set written and edited by the Harvard University academic team. As of October 6, this set was not assigned to any other tournament in Missouri. It is your responsibility to ensure that your team has not previously heard this question set and will not compete in any other tournaments using this set. Question set assignments are subject to change at any time; a list of tournaments known to be using this set is available in the forum thread linked above.
The field will initially be capped at 24 teams, with the possibility of expansion if we can procure enough staff and game rooms. Games consist of 20 tossups with three part nonrebounding bonuses. We will be using 15 point powers and 5 point negs.
Check in on the morning of the tournament begins at 7:45 AM, with a brief introductory meeting around 8:30 before round 1 starts around 9:00. All teams will be guaranteed approximately 9-10 games, ending around 4:00 PM, with any necessary finals and tiebreakers to follow. We expect this tournament to receive platinum certification from the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence; if that occurs, the top 25% of the field will qualify for the National Scholastic Championship in Chicago on June 10-11, 2017.
- First team from a school: $70
- Subsequent teams from a school: $65 each
- Buzzer discount: $5 discount for each working buzzer system your school brings (limit 2). Each system must be fully functional for eight players to receive the discount.
- Travel discount: $10 discount if your school travels at least 100 miles to the tournament (one-way, as determined by Google Maps)
All staffers will be needed throughout the day since all teams will be playing. Staffers will be provided lunch.
- Scorekeeper discount: $10 discount for providing a competent scorekeeper.
- Moderator discount: $25 discount for providing an experienced moderator. Moderators must be able to complete a 20 tossup/bonus game in 25-30 minutes to keep the tournament on schedule. We will reserve the right to choose our moderators.
- For schools that provide staff, the minimum fee per team is $0.
To register, please complete this registration form. Registrations will be processed in the order they are received through this form, and will not be accepted via any other method. Please note that your registration is not official until you receive a confirmation email and your teams appear in the posted field list maintained on the Missouri Quizbowl Message Board.
We will be hosting our other flagship tournament, the NAQT Missouri Qualifier, on March 4th on the campus of William Woods University in Fulton. Registration for that tournament will open in November, but we encourage all Missouri high school teams to complete this short form now to express interest in the Qualifier, which historically fills extremely quickly once registration opens. We will send schools that complete the interest form an invitation to register early.
We hope to see you and your team in Columbia in December and wish you the best of luck as you compete this season. If you have any questions about the tournament, don't hesitate to ask at email@example.com.
Jeffrey Hill and Matt Chadbourne
Co-Tournament Directors, MOQBA Fall Championship