We will host a junior varsity/novice division and a middle school/junior high division. Middle school/junior high programs must be properly registered with MSHSAA in order to participate. There will be no roster restrictions for the MS/JH division; the JV division will have a roster restriction:
- All freshmen may compete. NO seniors may compete.
- Sophomores who have not competed at HSNCT, SSNCT or PACE NSC may compete.
- Juniors who have not previously competed at any 20/20 tournament may compete.
This tournament will consist of a minimum of eight games for all teams in a modified national format:
- Each game shall consist of two halves of ten tossups each, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each, with an additional five-point “power” awarded for a correct answer given before a pre-determined point in the tossup.
- Unlike other NAQT/national tournaments, we will NOT assess a five-point penalty for interrupting the moderator during the tossup with an incorrect answer.
- Unless otherwise specified in a bonus set, each bonus part shall be ten points each. Incorrect bonus parts shall immediately rebound.
- MSHSAA timing rules shall with one exception: Teams shall receive only five seconds to answer a bonus. Moderators will be instructed to prompt after four seconds.
- There are no math calculation tossups or bonus.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 30 second timeout per half. Substitutions, scorechecks, and team conferences may occur at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team. (Note: per a change in MSHSAA rules, teams must use a timeout to request a scorecheck other than at halftime or the end of regulation.)
- Teams may play with fewer than four players. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
Both divisions will play on their respective versions of the SCOP 8 set, written by members of the Scholastic Community Outreach Program of Illinois. More information and sample packets are available at http://scop-qb.org/. This set is also being used at novice tournaments in Oakville on November 4th and Tuscumbia on January 20th; you will not be able to attend these or any other tournament using this set.
Teams will play five morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for at least three afternoon games. This setup is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. We plan to start the team meeting at 8:30 a.m., with the first round set for at 8:50 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending around 4 p.m.
Fee structure is as follows, per school:
- First team: $65
- Additional teams: $60
- Discount for travelling more than 100 miles each way (determined by Google Maps): $10
- Discount for providing a working buzzer set: $5 (maximum $10)
- Discount for providing competent staff: $5 per staffer (maximum $10)
Additionally, novice teams that participate in MYST are eligible for a $10 discount off their registration fee for the Outstate Missouri Academic Rendezvous, set for April 7th at Moberly High School.
Moberly High School is located at 1625 Gratz Brown Road. MHS is best accessed by taking Highway 63 to the Route M (Middle Grove) exit, then turning west into town about a half mile before turning right onto Gratz Brown Road. The high school will be on your left. Most lunch options will be on North Morley/Business 63.
The tournament is under the direction of Moberly High School Coach Kathy Brandon and veteran scholar bowl moderator Kyle Hill of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, an organization dedicated to promoting quality scholar bowl tournaments around the state. Again we anticipate receiving certification and assistance from their membership.
To register for this tournament, please visit http://tinyurl.com/MYST2018Registration. Questions concerning the tournament may be directed to either Kathy Brandon at KathyBrandon@MoberlySpartans.org or Kyle Hill email@example.com. Please include “MYST 2018” in the subject line.
We look forward to seeing you at Moberly High School on January 20th.