The members of Moberly High School Scholar Bowl are proud to serve as host of the fourth Outstate Missouri Academic Rendezvous (OMAR), and invite your team to participate in our tournament at MHS, scheduled for April 7th, 2018. This tournament will consist of a minimum of eight games for all teams in a modified NAQT/national format:
- Each game shall consist of two halves of ten tossups each, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each, with an additional five-point “power” awarded for a correct answer given before a pre-determined point in the tossup. We will NOT assess a five-point penalty for interrupting the moderator during the tossup with an incorrect answer.
- The team that receives the bonus will have five seconds to answer each part. The moderator will prompt after four seconds. Each incorrect part will immediately rebound, with the rebounding team expected to provide an answer within three seconds. Unless otherwise specified in a bonus set, each bonus part shall be ten points each.
- Math computation tossups and bonus shall receive ten seconds instead of 15.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 30 second timeout per half. Substitutions, scorechecks, and team conferences may occur at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team. (Note: per a change in MSHSAA rules, teams must use a timeout to request a scorecheck other than at halftime or the end of regulation.)
- Teams rosters shall be limited to seven players; schools are encouraged to bring junior varsity and “B” teams to compete. Teams may play with fewer than four players. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
Our goal is to attract 24 teams, which is also our field limit. Additional teams will be placed on a waitlist and contacted should an opening occur. No roster restrictions will be in place, and therefore we again anticipate being a qualifier for the SSNCT in Chicago, HSNCT in Atlanta, and PACE NSC in Reston, Virginia.
If we are able to attract 24 teams, we will again have two divisions of play, with teams sorted by their experience and exposure to the 20/20 format dating back to last year’s iteration. Should we fall below 24, we may instead utilize a one-division setup.
Teams will play five morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for three afternoon games. This setup is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. We plan to start the team meeting at 8:30 a.m. in the Cafenasium, with the first round set for at 8:50 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending around 4 p.m.
Fee structure is as follows, per school:
- First team: $70
- Additional teams: $65
- Discount for travelling more than 100 miles each way (determined by Google Maps): $10
- Discount for providing a working buzzer set: $5 (maximum $10)
- Discount for providing competent staff: $5 per staffer (maximum $10)
Additionally, we are offering a $10 discount (again per school) if you have a team participate in the Moberly Young Scholars Tournament, scheduled for January 20th at Moberly High School. If you would like to also participate in MYST, please contact either of us or read our tournament announcement. This discount will apply whether you field a team in the novice or middle school division, or both.
Moberly High School is located at 1625 Gratz Brown Road, best accessed by taking Highway 63 to the Route M (Middle Grove) exit, then turning west into town about a half mile before turning right onto Gratz Brown Road. The high school will be on your left. Most lunch options will be on North Morley/Business 63.
The tournament is under the direction of Moberly High School Coach Kathy Brandon and veteran scholar bowl moderator Kyle Hill of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, an organization dedicated to promoting quality scholar bowl tournaments around the state. Again we anticipate receiving certification and assistance from their membership.
To register for this tournament, please visit http://tinyurl.com/RegisterFor2018OMAR. Questions concerning the tournament may be directed to either Kathy Brandon at KathyBrandon@MoberlySpartans.org or Kyle Hill email@example.com. Please include “OMAR 2018” in the subject line.
We look forward to seeing you at Moberly High School on April 7th.