The members of Glendale High School Scholar Bowl welcome your team to join others from across the region at the inaugural Glendale Kickoff Tournament, scheduled for October 20th, 2018. Our tournament will consist of nine games for all teams in a modified NAQT/national format:
- Each game shall consist of two halves of ten tossups each, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each. All tossups are five seconds, except for math computation which will receive ten seconds. No powers or negs will be awarded.
- The team that receives the bonus will have five seconds to answer each part. The moderator will prompt after four seconds. In the event a bonus part is computation, the team will receive 10 seconds to answer instead of 15.
- Each incorrect bonus part will immediately rebound. All rebounds are five seconds. Unless otherwise specified in a bonus set, each bonus part shall be ten points each.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 30 second timeout per half. Substitutions, scorechecks, and team conferences may occur at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team.
- Teams rosters shall be limited to seven players; schools are encouraged to bring junior varsity and “B” teams to compete. Teams may play with fewer than four players, but must have at least two. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
Our tournament is expected to serve as a qualifier for the NAQT Small School National Championship Tournament in Chicago, NAQT High School National Championship Tournament in Atlanta, and PACE National Scholastic Championship in Reston, Virginia.
Teams will play five morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for at least three afternoon games. This setup is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. We plan to start the team meeting at 8:30 a.m., with the first round set for at 8:50 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending around 4 p.m.
Fee structure is as follows, per school:
- First team: $65
- Additional teams: $60
- Discount for travelling more than 100 miles each way (determined by Google Maps): $10
- Discount for providing a working buzzer set: $5 (maximum $10)
- Discount for providing competent staff: $5 per staffer (maximum $10)
- All discounts are subject to the discretion of tournament officials.
The tournament is under the direction of Glendale High School Coach, Dr Bob Lynch. Members of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, an organization dedicated to promoting quality scholar bowl tournaments around the state, has provided assistance in developing our event. We anticipate receiving certification and further assistance.
To register for this tournament, please visit http://tinyurl.com/2018GlendaleKickoff. Questions concerning the tournament may be directed to Bob Lynch at BLynch@spsmail.org or Kyle Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “2018 Glendale Kickoff” in the subject line.
We look forward to seeing you at Glendale High School on October 20th.