Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2019 Calhoun R-VIII Middle School Scholar Bowl Invitational Competition

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
MrEye

Post by MrEye »

Hello everyone! I’m Dakota Ioanis, the Middle School and High School Scholar Bowl Coach at Calhoun R-VIII. I am pleased to announce that Calhoun will be hosting our first official Scholar Bowl tournament: the 2019 Calhoun Middle School Invitational Competition.

When: Saturday, March 2nd, 2019. Team check-in will be between 8:00-8:30, and the first game should commence approximately 9:00.

Question Provider: We will be mirroring the Scholastic Community Outreach Program (SCOP) 2018-2019 Middle School Questions Set. Each game will consist of 20 toss-ups with up to 20, 3-part rebounding bonus questions. There will be no powers or negs.

Field: I am limiting the number of teams who are participating at 12. This number may be adjusted in part to staffing number or number of interested schools. We will register teams on a first come, first served basis. A roster of your team will be necessary for individual performance awards at the end of the competition. Each team will need to limit their roster to six students total**, and you are welcome to use students in 7th or 8th grades on your team.

**We are limiting the number of teams and the number of students who can participate in part to the size of our building. Calhoun R-VIII has a unique set up. We are an open campus school, with kindergarten-5th grade in the elementary, and 6th-12th grade in the high school. This tournament will be in the high school, which just consists of 8 classrooms, so space may be at a premium. The gym and cafeteria are in the elementary, and at this time, I don't envision having to use that building.

Tournament Format: All teams will play 6 games total. Teams will be randomly assigned a number at check-in before the tournament and will be placed in a round robin bracket of four teams. After three games, we will stop for lunch** and teams will be realigned into new brackets based on overall record and total points scored. After playing three more round robin games, we will determine the final placement of teams, based on record AND the total amount of points scored all day. After all games are done, we will hand out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards, as well as medals for the top four overall individual performers. If everything goes as planned, my goal is to have everyone heading back home no later than 5:00. This is assuming, generously, that each game lasts one hour. It is possible we are finished ahead of schedule!

**First game should commence around 9:00, with a break for lunch at 12:00. The town of Calhoun is small (population of approximately 470) and does not have any restaurants within the city limits. Also, we will not have a concessions stand available. As a result, we will have a longer than usual lunch break, and I am not planning on starting up games until about 1:30 or so. That gives teams plenty of time to travel to Clinton, which is about 10 minutes to the southwest of Calhoun, for lunch. Clinton is a town of about 10,000 and there are plenty of fast food options available for teams to choose from!

Entry Fees:
1st team from each school: $55
2nd (and subsequent) team from each school: $50
Buzzer discount: -$5
Travel discount (100 miles, each way):-$10
Scorekeeper: -$5
Providing an experienced moderator: to be negotiated on an individual basis

To register, please email me at dioanis@calhoun.k12.mo.us. In your email, please let me know the number of teams you are planning on bringing, the number of fully functional buzzer sets you are planning on bringing, and if you are able to bring any scorekeepers and/or moderators.

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact me! Looking forward to seeing you all on March 2nd, 2019!

MrEye

Re: 2019 Calhoun R-VIII Middle School Scholar Bowl Invitational Competition

Post by MrEye »

Due to the minimal number of schools that have expressed interest in attending, this competition has been canceled.