The members of College Heights Christian School Scholar Bowl welcome your team to join others from across the region at our inaugural College Heights Invitational (CHI), scheduled for March 28th, 2020. CHI will consist of a minimum of 8-9 games for all teams in a modified NAQT/national format:
- Each game shall consist of two 13-minute halves, up to a maximum of 20 tossups, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus. If the game clock expires in the middle of a tossup, the remainder of the tossup is read, along with any bonus earned.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each, with a five-point power awarded if a correct answer is given prior to a predetermined point. All tossups are five seconds, and there are no math computation tossups. We will not assess a five-point penalty for interrupting the moderator during the tossup with an incorrect answer.
- The team that receives the bonus will have five seconds to answer each part. The moderator will prompt after four seconds. Each incorrect bonus part will immediately rebound, with the rebounding team expected to provide an answer within three seconds. Unless otherwise specified in a bonus set, each bonus part shall be ten points each.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 30 second timeout per half. Substitutions, scorechecks, and team conferences may occur at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team.
- Teams rosters shall be limited to seven players; schools are encouraged to bring a second team to compete. Teams may play with fewer than four players but should have at least two players. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
As this is our inaugural event, we are limiting the field to 18 teams with no opportunity for expansion. Registering teams will be limited to two teams, with additional teams placed on standby. Once our field is full, subsequent registrations will be placed on a waitlist and contacted should an opening occur. We anticipate CHI serving as a qualifier for the PACE National Scholastic Championship, set for June 6th and 7th in Chicago.
Teams will play five morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for four afternoon games. This setup is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. We plan to start the team meeting at 8:30 a.m., with the first round set for 8:50 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending around 4 p.m.
Fee structure is as follows, per school:
- Each team: $70
- Discount for travelling more than 100 miles each way (determined by Google Maps): $10
- Discount for providing a working buzzer set: $5
- Discount for providing a competent scorekeeper: $10
- Discount for providing a competent moderator: $15
College Heights Christian School is located at 4311 E. Newman Road, near the Missouri Southern State University campus in Joplin. There are numerous lunch options within a couple miles of CHCS, including, but not limited to the mall food court.
The tournament is under the direction of College Heights Christian School Coach Jean Miller. Members of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, an organization dedicated to promoting quality scholar bowl tournaments around the state, are scheduled to be on hand to assist with the tournament’s operation. We anticipate receiving certification and assistance from their membership.
To register for this tournament, please visit http://tinyurl.com/CHI032820. Questions concerning the tournament may be directed to either Jean Miller at JMiller@collegeheights.org or Kyle Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “2020 CHI” in the subject line.
We look forward to seeing you at College Heights Christian School on March 28th.