Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

WUHSAC

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
jcarkeys

WUHSAC

Post by jcarkeys »

I'm posting this from a friend's computer, here's the top 4.

1. Paul Lawrence Dunbar A (KY)
2. Madisonville (KY)
3. Paul Lawrence Dunbar B (KY)
4. Westminster Christian Academy A (MO)

Overall... ehh... I wasn't as happy with it this year as I have been in the past. Dunbar again kicked it up a notch, the B team defeated Ladue in quarterfinals by 5 points.

Dunno what else to say except that Bill was there and the one game of ours he watched was our 2nd worst (the consolation game we were just like "Ehh").

He'll get details when gets back to Rolla, I'm sure.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

WUHSAC

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

jcarkeys wrote: Bill was there
TMCE and I were there too.

East Buc & UMR

WUHSAC

Post by East Buc & UMR »

yeah noone cares about you and TMCE... thanks for saying hi clark.

Saw some good teams today and some not so good teams

but 44 in all,

I did think the questions we a little rushed in spots... and way to much probablity(sp).

In other news TMCE did kick my butt on round six... 215, 120 with jeff playing third who had 150 himself. took me awhile to get back into High school mode.

DeckardCain

WUHSAC

Post by DeckardCain »

I think I'm sticking with the "This round is being brought to you by Chuck Norris" spiel at the beginning of games I moderate.

I put up 230, actually, and would have been more if I wouldn't have said Sun Tzu instead of Sun Yat-Sen... <_<

jcarkeys

WUHSAC

Post by jcarkeys »

ScoBo1987 wrote: TMCE and I were there too.
I wasn't surere if that was you or not.

And those teams were definitely weak all around. We were kind of disappointed, especially after the calibre of teams that normally come. Of course, Dunbar didn't disappoint. How'd they do at NAQT last year?

LibertyMarie

WUHSAC

Post by LibertyMarie »

East Buc & UMR wrote: thanks for saying hi
lol, you still not over that?? :lol:

jcarkeys

WUHSAC

Post by jcarkeys »

LibertyMarie wrote:
East Buc & UMR wrote: thanks for saying hi
lol, you still not over that?? :lol:
Ooh... is Bill bitter that I didn't say hi?

Well, until the playoffs, I wasn't sure you knew who I was, and I'm not about to introduce myself as "I'm jcarkeys from the ScoBo forum". Plus, you always appeared busy.

Then, at the playoffs, I finally convinced my girlfriend to come to a match. She was thoroughly impressed (which was muy bueno ^_^). Soo... yeah.

At the end, I just really wanted to leave, so I figured that head nod was sufficient.

William couldn't play on our team cause he had to take the SAT 2's in the morning.

East Buc & UMR

WUHSAC

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Dunbar last year at NAQT... tied for 20th. Their coach mentioned he was planning on taking all three teams to nationals this year

JWu

WUHSAC

Post by JWu »

Props to Wash U on running a fun tournament.

I thought the overall caliber of competition was pretty good, once you got beyond prelims. I watched the Westminster/Madisonville and the finals rounds, and the teams that went late into outrounds certainly were there for a reason.

Dunbar was once again a dominant team, if a bit slower on the buzzer than last year. One thing that struck me was how balanced their three teams were- their A team beat their C and B teams on overtime tossups. Apparently everyone on their 70+ member team picks a subject area as a frosh and a second one as a junior and studies up that way. I think this is also how consistent national powerhouses (TJ, for one) maintain their strength. Perhaps an idea to consider if a Missouri team plans on challenging at a national level, although one man teams do place in the top 10 at nationals.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

WUHSAC

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

*starts the wave*

East Buc & UMR

WUHSAC

Post by East Buc & UMR »

the cookies were a nice touch to get over the pain of that state tournament.

LibertyMarie

WUHSAC

Post by LibertyMarie »

:just sitting here laughing:

(no, it isn't that you guys are so funny. see my xanga if you care that much. lol yeah shameless plug...)

what was i supposed to do, bill, i had NEVER seen you before in my life, (i wasn't listening when they gave the workers' names...in fact i probably didn't even remember your name from on here, i'd only been on for a couple of weeks), i was a sixteen-year-old girl and you were a scary old guy!!! hahaha.

p.s. i'm quite fond of my revamped facebook profile. check it out, leave me some wall action with your thoughts...haha

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

WUHSAC

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

East Buc & UMR wrote: In other news TMCE did kick my butt on round six... 215, 120 with jeff playing third who had 150 himself. took me awhile to get back into High school mode.
Okay, explain this. Was this during lunch or what? Was this just between you guys? You better not be inadvertantly destroying whatever growth St. Louis has made in the realm of academic competition, because they'd be whining like crazy and we'd also have to deal with that.

Jeffrey Hill

WUHSAC

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
East Buc & UMR wrote: In other news TMCE did kick my butt on round six... 215, 120 with jeff playing third who had 150 himself. took me awhile to get back into High school mode.
Okay, explain this. Was this during lunch or what? Was this just between you guys? You better not be inadvertantly destroying whatever growth St. Louis has made in the realm of academic competition, because they'd be whining like crazy and we'd also have to deal with that.
We couldn't get into the tiny room where WCA was playing Salem in the first round (round 6 overall) of the playoff bracket, so we just sat in a lounge for that game. Next round (quarterfinals), we watched the game between WCA and SLUH; and we got the round 6 questions so we could play them. Bill, TMCE, and I played individually.

East Buc & UMR

WUHSAC

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Well the story went... TMCE, Jeff and I tried to watch the Salem A vs. WCA game which was round 6. Instead since Salem filled the room we had to go find another room... but by that time the only game that had room was Ladue's which TMCE and I saw twice in the morning. So we rested. Watched the WCA game in the next round.

After that game We didn't want to watch another game so we went and got packet 6 Forbis read as he read that round in play. So it was TMCE Vs. Jeff Vs. Me.

As for you Marie.... you sure knew who I was since I was wearing a my shirt... you on the other hand you didn't have a shirt saying marie... nor did I know what you look like.

As for clark I didn't see him until after the prelim's... my favorite quote was TMCE saying he didn't know what Clark looked like.... Are you kididng me his avatars is him holding a camera.

AC160

WUHSAC

Post by AC160 »

ScoBo1987 wrote: *starts the wave*
*wave*

Francesco Borromini

WUHSAC

Post by Francesco Borromini »

Marie...you didn't tell me you were in STL!

LibertyMarie

WUHSAC

Post by LibertyMarie »

I wasn't in STL. Bill and I are referring to a long-ago event. Which I guess it doesn't make sense to talk about on a thread about stl...sorry for the confusion, George!
...If I was a-goin' to stl, I would totally tell you.

You know, I've been to stl TWICE in my LIFE. And I consider myself a Missourian and a city girl. Is there something wrong with this?? hehe.

Francesco Borromini

WUHSAC

Post by Francesco Borromini »

I'm definitely a city kid and a Missourian, but I have only driven past KC. I will be visiting there next Tuesday, though - but for a very limited time. Call me. I'll PM you my cell.

LibertyMarie

WUHSAC

Post by LibertyMarie »

Hey, cool, KC's a good place. I won't be around next Tuesday, though. School in Springfield=NOT up to city kid standards, but I deal with it. haha

KentB

WUHSAC

Post by KentB »

You're complaining about Springfield .... it only had 100,000 people or something around there.

What does Kirksville have .... a7,000 and a wal-mart ?? ... yeeeahhhh.

LibertyMarie

WUHSAC

Post by LibertyMarie »

Hey, you chose it.

You know what else Springfield has that Kirksville doesn't have?
The Ozarks.
Springfield=the south. Not the midwest. Definitely the south.