Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

St. Joe Christian Feb 25th...

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
MoundCityBMW...T

Post by MoundCityBMW...T »

St. Joe Christian Tourney on the 25th... just wondering who's going...it's apparently district format (10 Lit, 10 math, 10 science, 10 social studies, the other 10 aren't broken down exactly(cry me a river) but it's really close--that's just what i hear...

oh

and

mound town will be there

Trey

Post by Trey »

Hey hey! I hope everyone enjoyed our tournament this year!

A total of fourteen varsity and ten junior varsity teams competed. Savannah won both varsity and junior varsity competitions. In varsity, Mound City took second place, and (I believe) played the closest game against Savannah varsity all day. The third and fourth place varsity teams were Oak Park (which I believe had only three players?) and Benton. NKC took second in junior varsity. The third and fourth place JV teams were Lee's Summit North and Oak Park.

Again, thanks to everyone who came to our tournament and congratulations to Savannah for winning first and to Mound City and NKC, who also brought home trophies. Also, for those of you who were there, what did you think of the questions? I'd love to hear from you here or at cybernoodle at gmail.com so we can improve next year.

George Clooney

Post by George Clooney »

I think I can speak for my team when I say the questions were really easy. Mostly they had decent quality with the exception of a couple ex: Boccaccio's Divine Comedy... That is, the gettable questions were easy. Then there were a few ridiculous trivial type questions. Another criticism is that whoever wrote them put prompts in weird place. For example, they wanted teams to be more specific when they said Tours for the 732 battle where Charles Martel defeated the Moors... the question expected us to say "The Battle of Tours." I don't see the point.
Despite all of the criticism (I tend to be critical when in the realm of quiz bowl), the questions were ok and were a thousand times better than last year's questions... Questions Galore.

Scrag41

Post by Scrag41 »

The questions, the questions. Ah, yes.

So, I wasn't really lying when I told you the questions made me want to kill myself, Trey, but I had been sucking all day, so maybe that's to blame. I didn't mean to be so harsh. Personally I thought the questions were alright. I found most of them lacking a lead-in, making it mostly a race-to-the-buzzer kind of match. But that's just my opinion. Don't get me wrong because there were plenty of appropriate questions.

In all cases, I detest trivial kind of questions (i.e. the candy bars and their mottos), but I was pleased at the modern music questions that SJC had. The questions were way better than some MC's had before, but they weren't the best, I'm afraid. Anyway, they were a lot better than MC could do. I don't want to rag on SJC at all. We know you all did a lot of hard work on your tournament and at least you had one. SJC was one of our few tournaments we have this year, so regardless of questions, we had a great time. Thanks, guys.

MoundCityBMW...T

Post by MoundCityBMW...T »

jeni, you're a tool.

Trey

Post by Trey »

Thanks for the input, fellas. It is definately in the plans that next year's questions will be longer and more will have lead-ins. But I have to defend the "trivial" questions. In my opinion, it is fun stuff like that that helps to keep quiz bowl interesting! Ah well, I suppose I did sleep on your couch, miss Jeni. I guess you can have your own opinion.

Scrag41

Post by Scrag41 »

MoundCityBMW...T wrote: jeni, you're a tool.
Lets keep it clean kids

:D

Scrag41

Post by Scrag41 »

Trey wrote: Ah well, I suppose I did sleep on your couch, miss Jeni. I guess you can have your own opinion.
Damn right, I do. Oh, and my mom wants you to come back and visit real soon....

Scrag41

Post by Scrag41 »

Trey wrote: Ah well, I suppose I did sleep on your couch, miss Jeni.
I believe that is "shhhleep on your couch, mishhh Jeni".

Hehehe.

Trey

Post by Trey »

Hey, you know what, talking is hard sometimes. Especially when there are certain chemicals in your body.

Trey

Post by Trey »

(I'm talking about lots and lots of caffeine, people. Get your minds out of the gutter!)

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

Trey wrote: I'm talking about lots and lots of caffeine, people.
Haha, I was kind of wondering...

AC160

Post by AC160 »

Trey wrote: (I'm talking about lots and lots of caffeine, people. Get your minds out of the gutter!)
Implying that we have our minds in the gutter, or is it a reminder to yourself?