Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

State Questions

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
wca

State Questions

Post by wca »

I have heard that MSHSAA is going to use a company called Straight A for the state questions. Has anyone heard of them? Are they pyramidal or more quick response in nature?

JimmyL

State Questions

Post by JimmyL »

Is this the first year they are using straight A?
From what I've played with them, they are definitely NOT pyrimidal. Two to three sentences, max.

East Buc & UMR

State Questions

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Which do you guys prefer? At the UMR tournament we go with pyrimidal. Since that is what college questions are like.

JimmyL

State Questions

Post by JimmyL »

I think that the pyrimidal questions evoke a greater amount of knowledge (especially more obscure knowledge), rather than just quick reflexes and recall, but as of now, I tend to prefer the short ones because our team hasn't been exposed to as many pyrimidal questions. The only time we play with that type is at Wash U.

East Buc & UMR

State Questions

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Maybe you guys should come to the UMR tournament

;)

Francesco Borromini

State Questions

Post by Francesco Borromini »

Darn - I had hoped that they would be pyramidal...why must the state title depend on speed more than knowledge? Oh well. Let's see how those District questions are on Saturday.

wca

State Questions

Post by wca »

My team likes pyramidal tossups a whole lot more than the quick response. Generally we practice with college questions and harder high school ones which tend to be pyramidal. I think that it is a better test of knowledge because the first half of the question rewards those who know more about a subject and the second half (which tends to be easier) rewards a quick recall of knowledge. I also think they are better because when high school players go on to college they are not going to see quick recall. Depending on the format they will see extremely to moderately pyramidal style questions. Giving them quick response questions in high school is just giving them the shaft in college play.