Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

MWSU History Bowl

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
AethyricNomad

MWSU History Bowl

Post by AethyricNomad »

The 18th Annual MWSU History Bowl was today. I don't have the scores of all of the games, but 7 teams showed up out of 8 originally registered - Chillicothe never showed, and the teams there were Savannah, Benton, East Buchanan, King City, Plattsburg, South Nodaway, and us (Tarkio).

In the morning we were scheduled to play Chillicothe first, but they didn't show and so we went and watched East Buchanan beat South Nodaway, which seemed like a slow game. Then we watched Savannah beat Plattsburg, which was a bit jarring with people buzzing in halfway through the question compared to the East Buchanan-South Nodaway game, where there wasn't much buzzing in going on. After watching Savannah win, we played East Buchanan and won 160 to 25, and then we got to play again at 3. We came back from lunch and visiting East Hills to watch Savannah beat Plattsburg by ten points (I believe), and then we played Savannah. The first game, which would have been the final game if we had won, we ended up losing to them by 40 points (110 to 70) and then we played them again to decide the championship, and we ended up beating them by 5 points to win first place, 105 to 100.

1st place - Tarkio
2nd place - Savannah (Zach was the only person I recognized, and he was only there for the afternoon)
3rd place - Plattsburg (I'd heard of Ian Jessee, nobody else was familiar)

For those who don't know and/or have never been to it, each toss-up question is worth 5 points, and for a correct toss-up answer that team gets a bonus, which is also worth 5 points. If a team buzzes in before the question is completed and answers incorrectly, then 5 points are deducted.

Charlie Dees

MWSU History Bowl

Post by Charlie Dees »

This tournament might be the prime example of what can go wrong when non-quizbowl people run a quizbowl-style event without bothering to check how people actually run tournaments. Was there still a ton of multiple choice?

AethyricNomad

MWSU History Bowl

Post by AethyricNomad »

Yeah, there were a lot of multiple choice - I'm not sure of the exact ratio, but pretty much all of the questions were either multiple choice or short answer.

FZW Coach

MWSU History Bowl

Post by FZW Coach »

Interesting.

Lindenwood University in St. Charles (just west of St. Louis) held their 2nd annual history bowl. They actually consulted with me last year and I geared them in the right direction concerning writing questions. Their students write all of the questions.

I don't have all the scores but:

FZW 390, Warrenton 300

Semifinals:

FZW 560, New Life Academy 210
Bayless 580, Washington 30

We played two juniors (who will be playing on the varsity B team during Two Saints) and one senior (our fourth best on the A team). Our top 3 including Julia were unavailable.

The finals will be played live Sunday night at 7:00 pm. I am not sure if Julia will play. Hopefully we can still win either way. Francis Howell won this contest last year.

The preliminary games will be aired each night at 7:00 pm on their cable channel (26 . . . or digital 989).

Charbroil

MWSU History Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

Who won the Lindenwood History Bowl, anyway?