Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

College destinations

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
DeckardCain

College destinations

Post by DeckardCain »

Inspired by a similar thread on hsquizbowl, I was curious where the seniors on this board are planning to attend college next year and whether anyone intends to keep playing quizbowl.

AShoaib

College destinations

Post by AShoaib »

Well, SLU and Wash U are on the tops of my list. Muhammad Zahid mentioned making a team at SLU, and if it works out, I'll play there. If I go to Wash U-- most def, although not much.

ELADAMO89

College destinations

Post by ELADAMO89 »

i've been accepted by pittsburg state university
they have quizbowl, but they're not very intent on it
i do intent on attemping college QB

WillHack

College destinations

Post by WillHack »

Going to Michigan State, don't know about quizbowl. Knowing Muhammad, he probably did get it started at SLU. I'll ask him about it.

FishyFreshman

College destinations

Post by FishyFreshman »

In all likelihood I'll be attending either the UMKC 6 year School of Medicine or Mizzou. If I go to Mizzou I will definitely keep with quizbowl. I doubt UMKC has a team.

DeckardCain

College destinations

Post by DeckardCain »

Michigan State has some semblance of a team, but I don't think they're particularly active. UMKC does not have a team as far as I'm aware, and SLU hasn't made it to a tournament yet this season.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

College destinations

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Since I'm assuming she won't be on here again for a while, my sister will be going to Rolla, and I think she intends to play.

I will be graduating in May and then working at Garmin in Olathe (KS); I do intend to help out at all of UMR's tournaments in the foreseeable future.

Charlie Dees

College destinations

Post by Charlie Dees »

About SLU, my understanding from talking to Mohammed is that they have a bunch of bureaucracy to work through before they can make a club, and that all semester the interested club has been working through it over the last few months, but that he found enough people to make a feasible club and that when they get to become official, I'd imagine they will start showing up to some stuff. To answer some questions too, Matt is right that UMKC doesn't have a team (although they used to in the 90s and I'm pretty sure Mike Wehrman went to some stuff as part of their team for a year or something before going to Yale, so if there are interested people there I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to start it back up), Michigan State barely has a team (I don't know that they've showed up to anything other than TTGT11, a now defunct tournament at Iowa, for the last few years, even though much closer places like Illinois, Chicago, and UMich frequently run tournaments, so if you are interested in playing you'd probably need to light a fire under the current leadership's collective behind, but I don't see a reason they couldn't change), and Pittsburgh State I don't think has really gone to anything recently besides College Bowl, which is now nonexistant, so you'd probably need to do the same lighting a fire (or they might need to reorganize their team if it was formerly a part of the student union). Best of luck to everyone going to college, the college circuit is a different experience, and I think its a great time and really welcoming.

AShoaib

College destinations

Post by AShoaib »

Yeah, I've talked to him a while ago and he mentioned the red tape... perhaps SLU team could volunteer/help out at WUHSAC (?).

I've also applied to Truman (they've got a team) Purdue, Northwestern and Yale... Any teams at Purdue and NW?

DeckardCain

College destinations

Post by DeckardCain »

Northwestern has a team; I don't believe Purdue does.

As for my plans for next year, I have been accepted into grad school at Missouri S&T and am applying to a couple of other schools. There's probably a slightly better 50/50 chance I will still be here next year, though if I get a better financial aid offer somewhere else I will probably take it.

DIoanis

College destinations

Post by DIoanis »

I have thought it over and I think I want to stay close to home and family. With that in mind I think I'm either going to Westminster College or Graceland University. I'm leaning towards Westminster more but my mind isn't set yet. I'm pretty sure the schools don't have a team and I'm not sure if either school could support a team because they are so small. I do know I want to teach high school social studies. I wouldn't mind being a quizbowl coach one day so who knows I could still be around

WillHack

College destinations

Post by WillHack »

Hmm, I might just do that at MSU. Seems like a spot of fun, if nothing else.

Mohammad sounds optimistic about SLU, at least. Seems dumb that it should be so difficult to start a team.

KentB

College destinations

Post by KentB »

Unless I bomb the interview, I feel I have a very good chance of getting into Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences...they do not have a team. I doubt I will have too much time to play quiz bowl anymore, but I will probably attempt to make tournaments at Mizzou, WashU, etc. either solo or with a few friends. I may decide to go through the process of founding an organization but that is only if there looks to be enough time to even mess with it.

socalcaptain

College destinations

Post by socalcaptain »

Pshaw...Northwestern...Mizzou has better journalism and better football, as proven in San Antonio this week. :)

Westminster College, eh? That there college be in my hometown! It's a great place. You'd love it. And, I'd be willing to help you get a team started with the contacts I have.

Awehrman

College destinations

Post by Awehrman »

Of course heavily favored Missouri only beat NU in overtime, and NU controlled the rest of the game...

Northwestern does have an active quizbowl team (although not always as active as I might like). Since it's located just outside Chicago, there are always quite a few tournaments held locally, which is nice. If you have any questions about anything Northwestern related feel free to contact me.

The bottom-line advice I usually give about such things is that unless you can easily afford it (either through family contributions or financial aid and/or scholarships) , you should attend a good state university (Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas) with good merit scholarships and honors programs (Arkansas has some of the best in the region), and then apply to those top-tier schools for graduate school.

When Mike was at UMKC, he was not competing in any official capcity as a student group or anything. He was just going to tournaments and playing solo. UMKC does usually have a smattering of quizbowl talent, though, and it would be great if someone could pull it together and get a team going again. UMKC did have a team in the mid 90s. They were the first school (I believe) to host NAQT tournaments in Missouri.

NKCtrashman

College destinations

Post by NKCtrashman »

Mizzou.

As far as QB in college, maybe/probably/i dunno

MJones

College destinations

Post by MJones »

I'm heading to Missouri State.

Does anyone know if they have a Quiz Bowl team?

DeckardCain

College destinations

Post by DeckardCain »

MJones wrote:I'm heading to Missouri State.

Does anyone know if they have a Quiz Bowl team?
Yes, they do.

FZW Coach

College destinations

Post by FZW Coach »

Our captain, Julia Price, recently got accepted into M.I.T. I am so proud of her. It must have been my great precalculus teaching last year that did the trick! We have another former player, Danielle Wang ('07), currently attending.

Fresh Prince of Bradleyville

College destinations

Post by Fresh Prince of Bradleyville »

First off... good to be back everybody. I never knew I could hate something like trigonometry with a passion.

Second... Mizzou or UCM. Love to go to either one, just depends on which I can afford. Also, now knowing Missouri State has a team, they have brought themselves back into contention.

As to college QB, I would love to play, but I don't know if I would last with the great ones. Granted I know a ridiculous amount of trash, ask any of my teammates.

Yeah Mizzou! GO FLORIDA!

ELADAMO89

College destinations

Post by ELADAMO89 »

trash questions may not seem like much, but they can make all the difference in a game
if you do college qb, go for it
(this coming from a person in high school)

College destinations

Eladamo, I know a LOT of trash (sports especially) but I know a lot about literature, history, and all subjects in general.

Charlie Dees

College destinations

Post by Charlie Dees »

As to college QB, I would love to play, but I don't know if I would last with the great ones.
I definitely understand where you might think this, but I think it's good to point out that in the vast majority of cases, the good college players get good during college, and don't come in as high school superstars. Nobody on the Chicago team that won ACF Nationals last year was any kind of dominating high school player (actually, to the best of my knowledge only one of them even played quizbowl in high school at one tournament, and she was their lowest scorer). There are so many differences between most high school quizbowl and college stuff that its not hard at all to just shift your focus and become decent at college stuff instead.
Also, the cool thing about college quizbowl is even if you aren't very good, if you go to stuff, write packets, and just be a part of the quizbowl community people will like having you around. Also, theres all kind of stuff you can do like moderate, tournament direct, etc. that don't require quizbowl skill that are still important roles. I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of players don't fall into the category of great.

ELADAMO89

College destinations

Post by ELADAMO89 »

Eladamo, I know a LOT of trash (sports especially) but I know a lot about literature, history, and all subjects in general.
sorry for any possible misconseption
just trying to make a point

College destinations

Hey I don't blame you. I still remember my first two years in quiz bowl. I basically answered nothing but trash. That was I until I read on how to become a better player.

AethyricNomad

College destinations

Post by AethyricNomad »

I am thinking of going to either Truman State or NWMSU.
Truman State, of course, has a quiz bowl team, while NWMSU does not.

ajax

College destinations

Post by ajax »

ELADAMO89 wrote:i've been accepted by pittsburg state university
they have quizbowl, but they're not very intent on it
i do intent on attemping college QB
Pitt has only one QB type contest which is College Bowl, where you compete against faculty and other students. Really, it isn't really a college bowl system where you play other schools. I didn't do their college bowl, because I'm out of my prime and I took an oath not to do QB again after the loss to North Shelby in 05'

ELADAMO89

College destinations

Post by ELADAMO89 »

when i toured, they talked to me about qb
they didn't really say anything though, so thanks for the info

DeckardCain

College destinations

Post by DeckardCain »

Just to update, I will indeed be back at Missouri S&T for one more year.

KentB

College destinations

Post by KentB »

And just for an update, I still have no idea where I will be next year or whether I will even be in school.... booya!

hugatree1715

College destinations

Post by hugatree1715 »

I'm planning on going to Carleton in Northfield, MN. I have heard that they have a very good program, historically, at least.

Charlie Dees

College destinations

Post by Charlie Dees »

I can get you in touch with Carsten Gehring, who is a freshman there right now and has the best plans for the team, and Charlie Rosenthal who is an incoming freshman like you at Carleton who basically wants to help Carsten and knows what he's doing. Their program is a little notorious right now for some of the older players not doing what they need to, and their coach putting all his focus on only playing NAQT which makes it hard to be playing a full competitive schedule in college, but Carsten and Charlie really do know what they're doing.

hugatree1715

College destinations

Post by hugatree1715 »

First, I need to get my whole family on board with the steep tuition. Then, it may be prudent to get that information. Thanks.

Charlie Dees

College destinations

Post by Charlie Dees »

So now that we're getting into March and getting into countdown time for seniors, I suppose it would be a good time to reboot this thread. If you are a senior who knows where you are going (not all 10 schools where you've applied or all the Ivy League that accepted you but that you are going to snub, but actual schools you know you will be attending) please post that in this thread, along with your intention to play quizbowl or not in college (hint: you really want to play even more!)

DIoanis

College destinations

Post by DIoanis »

Just found out this afternoon Westminster College is giving me almost a full ride, so that is where I will be attending. I'm open to the idea of starting a team there (I said that I would start a team in my scholarship interview). August is down the road a ways and a lot can happen between now and the start of the next school year.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... DIoanis</a>, Mar 6 2009, 04:49:25 PM.</div>

socalcaptain

College destinations

Post by socalcaptain »

trumanboy wrote:Just found out this afternoon Westminster College is giving me almost a full ride, so that is where I will be attending. I'm open to the idea of starting a team there (I said that I would start a team in my scholarship interview). August is down the road a ways and a lot can happen between now and the start of the next school year.
Like Charlie and I both said, if you want to start a team, we're totally there to help you out - just up the road, in fact.

scphilli

College destinations

Post by scphilli »

Full disclosure:

I don't think the SLU thing is happening without a major assist. I have been in touch with Mohommad about helping get the team at SLU off the ground all semester and they are insanely busy though they are still trying. What you all have to understand is that SLU has the world's most byzantine system of getting a program started. I will continue to try to help them as I try to help all fledgling college programs and established ones.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... cphilli</a>, Mar 6 2009, 09:31:35 PM.</div>

WillHack

College destinations

Post by WillHack »

I'm still going to Michigan State, although I'm no more decided about quizbowl than I was before.

Charlie Dees

College destinations

Post by Charlie Dees »

The Michigan State quizbowl team since the beginning of the semester has surprisingly made a nice bit of a turnaround and has started going to regular tournaments, so if you do go there there might be something more to work with than I originally predicted.

LibertyBowler09

College destinations

Post by LibertyBowler09 »

I will be attending UMR. Already have my class schedule for next semester. I just need to get my application for the residential college sent in, and I'll be all set! I do plan on continuing with quiz bowl as well.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... owler09</a>, Mar 21 2009, 05:45:45 PM.</div>

AShoaib

College destinations

Post by AShoaib »

It's official. I'm a SLU Billiken.

Philippos

College destinations

Post by Philippos »

Pending AP exam grades, I'll be doing history at King's College London. If I don't do as well on my APs as I ought to do, it will be the University of Leeds. I don't think that they do this sort of thing in the UK, so I will not be doing it. If I had a GPA good enough to get me into anywhere worth going domestically, I'd probably try to do it.

redliberte

College destinations

Post by redliberte »

This. It's rather dubious, but it's one of the few regrets I have about choosing Cambridge over Oxford.

Philippos

College destinations

Post by Philippos »

redliberte wrote:This. It's rather dubious, but it's one of the few regrets I have about choosing Cambridge over Oxford.
Cambridge? Awesome. Which College?

I got (very politely!) rejected from Oxford.

I'll admit I'm surprised they have it there, too.

redliberte

College destinations

Post by redliberte »

I'll be doing a Junior Year Abroad at Homerton College, Cambridge. I'm pumped.

hugatree1715

College destinations

Post by hugatree1715 »

It's now official. I will be attending Carleton College in Northfield, MN. I'm still very excited.

hugatree1715

College destinations

Post by hugatree1715 »

redliberte wrote:I'll be doing a Junior Year Abroad at Homerton College, Cambridge. I'm pumped.
My dad lives in London, and my cousin spent last semester studying in London as well. And they both give me overwhelming advice that English cuisine is quite abysmal. I haven't experienced English foods for any great length of time, so I can't give much advice, but my dad and cousin told me that if I study in England, I should eat a lot of pre-packaged foods and PB&J. I just wish to pass this piece of information on...

redliberte

College destinations

Post by redliberte »

I've heard that as well. As I understand, the program is set up so we get to cook for ourselves a lot, so I figure I should be alright... I mean, at least the English have ramen.

Daegan

College destinations

Post by Daegan »

Missouri State University DOES have a quiz bowl team. Anyone interested can contact me for more information about it at the following address: lehnhoff690@missouristate.edu

We're a new team but we practice several times a week. We're working on getting our team officiated, which is turning out to be quite difficult.

carpenoctem63141

College destinations

Post by carpenoctem63141 »

Seniors from Ladue:

Marc Prablek is going to Princeton, I'm going to Duke, Jason Bell is going to Columbia, Tim Pulisetty is going to UChicago (I think), and Caleb Ping is going to New England Conservatory.