Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

College destinations

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charbroil

College destinations

Post by Charbroil »

Impressive...

AethyricNomad

College destinations

Post by AethyricNomad »

So, uh, I happened to think on the bus ride home today that perhaps I should update this, but anyway this fall I am (currently planning on) attending Truman State.

FishyFreshman

College destinations

Post by FishyFreshman »

I don't remember if I have posted in here and I am too exhausted to check. I am going to Washington University in St. Louis and I will be playing quizbowl there.

knobbie10

College destinations

Post by knobbie10 »

FishyFreshman wrote:In all likelihood I'll be attending either the UMKC 6 year School of Medicine or Mizzou. If I go to Mizzou I will definitely keep with quizbowl. I doubt UMKC has a team.
From all my contacts, they dont have a team, i was looking intently at that med program as well, and asked about the quiz bowl, they replied that there was not a team on campus, :(
...Question... since my guidance counselor isnt much of a help. I am a junior have been accepted to Pepperdine, Roosevelt Univ, UMKC, MU, KU, and U of Chicago... I have no idea where to go, I have not much family either.. I know this is a decision i should make, does anyone have any suggestions???

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... obbie10</a>, May 12 2009, 11:46:15 AM.</div>

socalcaptain

College destinations

Post by socalcaptain »

Not kU... :)

U of Chicago is a great school from everything I have heard - and the campus is very nice! They definitely have a team.

And of course Mizzou has a team.

I have no idea about the others. College decision is ultimately up to you - it's all about what YOU want out of it. If you want to go to a school, and people tell you it's a party school, then go there and prove them wrong.

scphilli

College destinations

Post by scphilli »

It really depends on what you want. The south side of Chicago is a far cry from Knob Noster, that much I can gaurantee. Your horizons will definitely be broadened in a way they probably wouldn't be at Columbia, KC, or Lawrence. Same with Pepperdine, though my personal preference is anti-Southern California. Too much sprawl for my tastes. Ultimately think about what you want to study and which type of environment is best suited to you and your needs (finances, transportation, proximity to home, etc.) and then select.

Charlie Dees

College destinations

Post by Charlie Dees »

knobbie10 wrote:From all my contacts, they dont have a team, i was looking intently at that med program as well, and asked about the quiz bowl, they replied that there was not a team on campus, :(
...Question... since my guidance counselor isnt much of a help. I am a junior have been accepted to Pepperdine, Roosevelt Univ, UMKC, MU, KU, and U of Chicago... I have no idea where to go, I have not much family either.. I know this is a decision i should make, does anyone have any suggestions???
You've been... accepted to both Pepperdine and UChicago a year early? Unless you're planning to graduate high school early, I'm not sure I believe those statements are true. Did you apply to all those places and somehow convince them to accept you and let you stay in high school? All the admissions I've ever seen are for beginning the next school year. How did this situation come about?
Anyway, purely about quizbowl: UMKC doesn't have a team, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't start one since usually a bunch of KC area quizbowlers go there. They did used to have a team ages ago, so it could happen. If you don't get a team started though, according to most eligibility rules you would be eligible to play on a team with any other branch of the Missouri campus (so that means you'd get to pick between Mizzou and Rolla). KU has no team, but used to, so again, maybe you could get something going there. I know Roosevelt University has no team either. Of the schools you listed, Mizzou has a rather new team that I'm on, and UChicago has a very vibrant longstanding national champion winning team. I don't know how much quizbowl is a part of your application process, but those 2 would require the least work for you to get a team going by far.

knobbie10

College destinations

Post by knobbie10 »

ashkenaziCD wrote:You've been... accepted to both Pepperdine and UChicago a year early? Unless you're planning to graduate high school early, I'm not sure I believe those statements are true. Did you apply to all those places and somehow convince them to accept you and let you stay in high school? All the admissions I've ever seen are for beginning the next school year. How did this situation come about?
Yes, I am needing 1/4 of a credit to graduate, this semester, which can be satisfied through a correspondence course this summer. And they both accept after 6 semesters, and I have the credits for six semesters already accomplished.

DIoanis

College destinations

Post by DIoanis »

Due to a "financial aid mishap" I am no longer going to Westminster College. Instead I will now be attending Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph.

It sucks.....

At least I will be close to home (?) It was my backup college and I guess I should be happy I'm going somewhere I guess

PaxHispanica

College destinations

Post by PaxHispanica »

uhh... I guess college quiz bowl would be fun. What are the questions like?

FishyFreshman

College destinations

Post by FishyFreshman »

Pyramidal and good, with no computation. The way quizbowl should be.

Charbroil

College destinations

Post by Charbroil »

Lol...you can find a large sample of them at collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com. Check out the ACF Fall and Zot Bowl (among others) packets for a sample of introductory questions.

KentB

College destinations

Post by KentB »

It's pretty much decided now that I will be at TSU for another two years to complete an MAE degree. I might do a PhD program after that... we'll see.

Fresh Prince of Bradleyville

College destinations

Post by Fresh Prince of Bradleyville »

I will officially be pursuing a degree in History at the University of Missouri, which is awesome since I'm the first person from my school attending MU in fifteen years.

Charlie Dees

College destinations

Post by Charlie Dees »

Haha wow! A MO high school with no Mizzou students! Anyway, all future MU students who are interested in the club, email MizzouQuizbowl from whatever account you will use most next year, and we will add you to our mailing list. I want to emphasize that the club is new, and in no way are we at all choosy about people of differing skill levels joining, so if you are scared you won't impress anyone at the collegiate level, we don't care, we just like more people joining. I'd hazard a guess that's most college quizbowl teams as well.

Charbroil

College destinations

Post by Charbroil »

FishyFreshman wrote:I don't remember if I have posted in here and I am too exhausted to check. I am going to Washington University in St. Louis and I will be playing quizbowl there.
I'll see you there, Spencer. :)

WillHack

College destinations

Post by WillHack »

Convince Tom Morrell and Jason Liang to be on your team next year. As far as they've told me, despite their considerable talents, they are not intending on playing Quizbowl at Wash U. . . .

Charlie Dees

College destinations

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yes, do! Also, Will, you're playing with the newly active MSU team, right?

mujason

College destinations

Post by mujason »

Hey, I read in the local paper that Samantha Bradford is headed to Mizzou. She was the number two scorer on the Smithton team that lost the district title by five points to St. Paul Lutheran who in turn lost the state title to Richland by five points (although on QG, who knows what that truly means).

WillHack

College destinations

Post by WillHack »

I haven't heard anything about Quizbowl from MSU (which is surprising, since I've just been up here for my orientation), but I'm not opposed.

Charlie Dees

College destinations

Post by Charlie Dees »

According to this post their club president is named Nalin Lalwani and they have a club email you can send inquiries to, or else you could just send Nalin's listed email address at the bottom of the post a message to find out more. And just as a side note, but I know at Mizzou they never really advertised clubs during summer orientation, so chances are at MSU there will be a big activities fair in the fall with quizbowl and pretty much everything else advertising.