Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

You guys were right after all.

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Charbroil wrote:Uh...no offense, but that's kind of a weak argument...
To say the least.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Are you being serious?

Eminem

Post by Eminem »

I am merely saying that I enjoyed speed questions like bob's and avery's, more than the current pyramidal style, yes I complain about them all the time, but eventually I'll adapt.

CherryCokeStain

Post by CherryCokeStain »

If you don't do well on pyramidal questions, it's because you're not that good of a team. The knowledge that you need for Avery or QG is knowledge that any self-respecting varsity quizbowl should know, and it's always a buzzer race, and doesn't in any way reflect who knows more on the topic. If i'm playing spencer and there's a toss-up on "Who wrote Madame Bovary?" Since I have a pulse, I buzz in and say Flaubert, and i get the question. But what if Spencer read the book and knows far more about it than me. Then the pyramidal question rewards him for knowing the characters and plot description better than I do, and he deservedly gets the points. Depth of knowledge is far superior to buzzer racing. If you think there will be terrible one-liners in college you're in for a rude awakening.

I figure it's cool I used you Spence?

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Fine with me bro. I would've used The Importance of Being Earnest though since I have actually read it and got it off of the very first line in the chat room the other day. Grant is exactly right though. I don't think any really competitive knowledgeable teams prefer buzzer races because they know that they know more and get punished for actually studying instead of always practicing speed. I don't think I know of any really good players that prefer Avery or Bob's questions to good pyramidal questions.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

CherryCokeStain wrote:If you think there will be terrible one-liners in college you're in for a rude awakening.
Not even CBI, in all their naive horror, would have done that.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

PenforPrez wrote:
CherryCokeStain wrote:If you think there will be terrible one-liners in college you're in for a rude awakening.
No, instead CBI had questions that have a line or two of impossible information before "FTP name this curved yellow fruit"

Eminem

Post by Eminem »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:
PenforPrez wrote:
No, instead CBI had questions that have a line or two of impossible information before "FTP name this curved yellow fruit"
That rhymes with banana, oh wait.