Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Return of the Chat Room! (Now on IRC!)

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Just for fun, I just re-added a chat applet to the site. There's a link for "chat" right under the logo that you can click to enter. It will add it as a sidebar, but you can pop it out into its own window if it's too wide.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

If people get in by the time I'm done eating pizza I'll read some old PACE Nationals questions for you kiddos.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

COME CHAT!!

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

It appears with this yaplet technology, it doesn't announce who the next members joining in are beyond that the number changes at the top of the page If you join, please make a statement saying "Hi, I'm [name]."

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I think I have it set up the way I want it. I'm really liking this new sidebar setup, and it's not Java based so it loads a lot faster! (And people on Macs can actually use the clipboard to copy/paste questions!)

The chat link should select your board username by default; you can change it before you log in, but unlike the default, you can't change your name in the middle of a chat.

As Charlie said, it doesn't say anything when somebody logs in, so please say something when you get in so that people know you've joined.

When you're in the chat (in a framed window), the chat link should not appear under the logo. If it does, no big deal.

If you have Javascript disabled, those links still won't show up due to the way Zetaboards works. You should still be able to chat at http://chat.moquizbowl.com, but functionality may be limited. (For NoScript users, you'll need to allow scripting on yaplet.com.)

As before, we'll occasionally have somebody "reading" packets, so come in and play a game!

If you have any problems with getting into the chat room, let me know. Once you're in, it's Yaplet's problem.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Apr 5 2009, 11:30:57 PM.</div>

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Alright, after the first night of having a chat, I'll volunteer to read a packet every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday at 9 PM for anyone interested in doing some nationals prep, assuming I don't have other conflicts. So you can for sure look out for those times, and I guess if anyone else wants to do anything in the chat, just let us know when so we can hop on in, even if it's just to socialize as best as you can over the internet, or have a debate, or play some more questions.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

As you can see, if you are logged in, instead of a chat link you should now be able to see a dark blue bar that indicates who's been in chat in the last 15 minutes.

Unfortunately, this is a completely separate thing running on my server. When you log into the chat, it will log your name and the time you logged in. There is a hidden frame that pings the server every 5 minutes to say you're still active.

<del>Currently, it seems that Google Chrome is not pinging properly; I will look into it the next time I boot into Windows.</del>

A reminder that this will still not indicate to current chatters when you enter the chat room, so please say something when you enter!

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Apr 7 2009, 02:03:02 AM.</div>

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Hey Spencer, it seems to be working just fine for me in Chrome. Maybe you got in while I was still tweaking it.

<del>Try this one: http://chat.moquizbowl.com/moqb/debug/moqbchat.aspx and log in. That one pings every 10 seconds and shows the output of the ping frame; if it says "Good" below the chat it should be working now; otherwise, let me know what it says.</del> EDIT: nevermind, it was because you were in a popup, wasn't it?

(On a related note... is post preview not working in Chrome or is my stupid Windows security software blocking something as usual?? EDIT: It's the stupid security software, of course. It think's the preview AJAX request is an ad!)

Another edit: In Chrome, if I'm in the chat and browsing the board, if I click "back" it kills my chat and asks to "Confirm Form Resubmission"...

Another edit.. WAIT A SEC... did you pop out into a new window? If so, then that's why it doesn't work, because the popout doesn't have that hidden ping frame!

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Apr 6 2009, 06:40:24 PM.</div>

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Yes I was popped out.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

True to the quote in my signature, the chat isn't broken yet, so I've added yet another feature - if we schedule anything in the chat room (like Charlie's packet reads), a reminder will automatically show up in the chat bar the day of the event. I also implemented a special "current topic" event that will display if I set it to something and there's not a currently scheduled event, though we'll have to wait and see if there's much use for it.

Though, I'm already reaching overkill on this thing, and I don't have anything else planned, so this is about what the chat system will look like.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Remember, in 15 minutes we're rockin out so start getting in here if you want to play some quizbowl.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

I am ready to buzz in with all 3 of me!

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Uh...I'll buzz with all one of me. Is that alright? :D

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

So, people should come chat. :) We have a wonderful game in progress.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Apr 7 2009, 08:17:19 PM.</div>

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Wooo I have -5!!!

Edit: Finished with +5

These games are awesome and more people should play. Just not Dees >.>

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... reshman</a>, Apr 7 2009, 10:34:26 PM.</div>

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Yeah...I'll second that. :)

To sum things up, here are the scores from playing on a Harvard Fall Tournament Finals Packet in singles play (Charlie reading):

Charles: 70
Spencer: 5
Matt: 140
Jeffrey: 20
Grant: 5
Jason: 0

And here's Charlie Dees vs. assorted combinations of me, Spencer, Matt Chadbourne, Jason Mueller, Greg Gauthier (feel free to remind me if I missed anyone):

Charlie Dees: 375
Everyone Else: 110

In case anyone's curious, Matt got one tossup, I got one, Jason got one, and Greg got one. Charlie hit most of the remainder.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Apr 7 2009, 11:03:38 PM.</div>

CherryCokeStain

Post by CherryCokeStain »

I didn't play, i don't know how i got included in that. But Dees is awesome.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

I played as Grant Gates, Spencer Fish, John Ahlfield, and Kami at varying points in that game. That's why you got included.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Alright, after the first night of having a chat, I'll volunteer to read a packet every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday at 9 PM for anyone interested in doing some nationals prep, assuming I don't have other conflicts.
I believe last night in the chat we decided to move the start time to 8 pm.

We also talked about having "high school" nights and "open" nights (for instance, reading HS packets on Tuesday and Thursday and college packets on Sunday), though nothing has been "officially" decided yet. Feel free to make suggestions.

Of course, all of this is just to make sure we have definite times every week when you can know for sure there's something going on; if you want to play at any other time, just post something.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Can anything be done about the lag in the room or is that just a byproduct of my being on dial-up?

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

mujason wrote:Can anything be done about the lag in the room or is that just a byproduct of my being on dial-up?
Part of it is probably dial up, but other people have had some lag as well, though not as bad as yours. If it becomes more of a widespread, reoccurring problem I may look for something else, but at the moment I'd really like to stick with one like this because it doesn't require cumbersome plugins like Java (or any additional software, for that matter)

I've been looking around at the code, and noticed something that could be a fatal flaw. For some background, the way it works is it requests an update from the server every 5 seconds (which is why several messages appear at the exact same time). It also gives up if a response isn't received within 7 seconds (which I would imagine is what happens on dial-up especially if you're browsing elsewhere). If a timeout occurs, it will double the interval between server requests. If the server is that busy, logically you would have to increase the time or hardly anybody would ever get any updates, so there is nothing wrong with that. However, the problem I noticed is that it appears that there is no place that it reduces the time. So basically, if you get one timeout, you will request updates every 10 seconds, but even after the load lightens, it won't change it back to 5 until you completely refresh the chat client.

So in Jason's case, it must have timed out enough to make your polling interval a ridiculously high number (20 or 40 seconds maybe?)

leftsaidfred

Post by leftsaidfred »

If necessary, you all could just set up a room on SlashNet alongside #quizbowl and the Sco Bowl room.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

leftsaidfred wrote:If necessary, you all could just set up a room on SlashNet alongside #quizbowl and the Sco Bowl room.
Yeah, if the lag becomes unbearable, it would probably be easiest just to go straight to IRC. I'd really like to find a web-based IRC client so people can join instantly on whatever computer they're on... which reminds me, I actually remember Kyle mentioning one when we were having problems with the old chatroom... let me see if I can find that.

EDIT: It looks like he was talking about pjirc. As expected, it's Java-based, but then again I would imagine people who are regularly involved would download an actual IRC client anyway so that wouldn't be that big a deal.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Apr 8 2009, 10:18:08 PM.</div>

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I went ahead and registered #moquizbowl on Slashnet. This should work out better because it shouldn't have the lag of the yaplet service, and we can actually have ops to moderate the chat.

However, to keep things simple in the short term, I suggest that this Thursday we should go ahead and run the games in the current chat room, but plan to use the IRC channel after that. That way, people who don't read the board until late tomorrow who want to play can get in without having to download anything.

If you're not already on Slashnet, here are the basics for setting up:

For quick access, http://chat.moquizbowl.com now points to Slashnet's web client. All you have to do is enter a username and log in!

However, if you're going to be in the room regularly, you probably should download an IRC client. I'm using Pidgin, which is available for Windows and Linux (and supports other IM clients as well), and on the Mac I've used Colloquy (IRC only); both of these are completely free, though there are several other IRC clients out there.

Once you've installed the chat client, it will need to know where to connect. Create a new connection ("Account" in Pidgin) and specify:
Server: irc.slashnet.org
Choose a username; if it's already taken, it will either tell you that or append something to it; I'm not entirely sure if clients handle this the same way or not.

Once you're in, you'll want to join the room #moquizbowl (on Pidgin, it's under Buddies->Join A Chat); there is no password.

If you have any questions with setting up IRC, just post them in here.

EDIT: oh yeah, forgot to mention that once you're on Slashnet, you'll also have access to #quizbowl (general quizbowl channel) and #scobowl (with TriviaBot)

Another edit: Slashnet's web client is exactly what I wanted, so chat.moquizbowl.com now points to that.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Apr 9 2009, 12:28:48 AM.</div>

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Actually, since http://www.slashnet.org/webclient/moquizbowl is dead simple (and AJAX based, same as yaplet), let's use that as the official chat room now. http://chat.moquizbowl.com now redirects there uses the embedded Mibbit client that it uses!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Oh, and I want to make sure this rule is made clear (especially since it wasn't officially specified before). Because you are not required to use your board username, you must identify who you really are if you use a different name. You will be kicked if you refuse to identify yourself.

EDIT: I should also note that names on IRC can't have spaces, so if you use the chat.moquizbowl.com client and forget that, only the first word will be used.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Apr 9 2009, 12:42:15 AM.</div>

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Is there any way to keep a "who's online" list on the front page somewhere with the new chat? I kind of liked that.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

DeckardCain wrote:Is there any way to keep a "who's online" list on the front page somewhere with the new chat? I kind of liked that.
I wish there were a good way to do that, because I really want that too. I think I found a way for me to extract data cross-domain, so I could extract stuff from this page but <del>it looks like it only shows people who are actually registered with SlashNet, so that wouldn't be much use.</del> EDIT I must have loaded the page a split second before my web client user actually entered the room. It does actually update quickly and shows everybody who's not invisible, so I'll try to make that work. (Invisible people won't show up, but that's the whole point of invisibility)

(Maybe I should slow down a bit before I post stuff... 5 edited posts in a row???)

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Apr 9 2009, 01:42:08 AM.</div>

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I'm getting really close to getting it done... it turned out much simpler than I expected. Unfortunately, I made a huge careless mistake and once again got in a hurry and uploaded the file before I completed my while loop that processes the names... ended up throwing the server in an infinite loop and locking it up... :unsure:

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

SUCCESS!

This is better than yaplet in every way!

-- less lag because it's IRC
-- ability to actually moderate the chat
-- we still have a simple, non-Java web client for those people who can't or don't want to download an IRC client
-- and now an instantaneous listing of all users that tracks actual users and not a completely separate add-on that uses a bunch of easily circumventable javascript and frameset-based files! (Also meaning less work for my server!)

This is what happens when there's something exciting to do and my only class is at 2 pm! Now I should go to sleep; it's 4:30...

See everyone at 8pm tonight!

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Also, be aware that kicks aren't bans, and it's standard practice on an irc to rejoin immediately after getting kicked since sometimes they are done for comedy and sometimes they are just done as warnings - in the case of the name thing, it's just a warning to let you know if you come back you need to tell us who you are.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Come on in now folks! 8PM games.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

There's a game going on right now if anyone else wants to join.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

In case anyone's curious...

Chitin Classic Packet:
Charles: 105
Matt: 105
Adam: -5
Jeffrey: 10
Alex: 30
Cameron: 15
Abdullah: 0
Chris: -10
Grant: 10
Spencer: 0

(Most of the latter players showed up fairly late)

World of QuizBowl Singles:
Charles: 105
Matt: 100
Alex: 0
Grant: 25
Ikshu: 10
Katelin: 0

Alex left after a little bit; Katelin dropped by around halfway through.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Yeah I logged on and just chatted on Facebook lol.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Much fun was had, as usual.

We should totally play a trash packet next time.

MZahid

Post by MZahid »

just out of curiosity, how does "reading" work in the whole chat room thing? like is the the whole question just posted at one time or is it broken up?
(maybe kind of a stupid q, but I'm just having trouble wrapping my mind around it...)

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... >MZahid</a>, Apr 12 2009, 12:19:17 PM.</div>

KentB

Post by KentB »

I'll be on tonight if there is a game to be had.

Questions are usually posted line by line or clue by clue ... or a few clues at a time. It's really at the discretion of the reader how much to put up at once.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... '>KentB</a>, Apr 12 2009, 12:26:28 PM.</div>

CherryCokeStain

Post by CherryCokeStain »

It's put in clue by clue by the moderator, (usually Dees), and then you type buzz when you know it, get recognized and then type your answer.

I'm up for any packet, as long as it's not that ridiculous Harvard one again. PACE is good stuff.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

CherryCokeStain wrote:It's put in clue by clue by the moderator, (usually Dees), and then you type buzz when you know it, get recognized and then type your answer.
Yeah, to clarify another thing about the way this works in chat: you have to be recognized before you answer; this is due to the nature of Internet chat. Who gets to answer is the person whose buzz shows up on the moderator's screen first. If you say "buzz" at the exact same time as someone else, your buzz will show up first on your screen due to it being you - your computer knows you sent it, so it adds it to your chat transcript right away, but it still has to travel the Internet to get to the other participants. Since there's no way of knowing who truly sent theirs first, the moderator's screen determines who wins buzzer races.

MZahid

Post by MZahid »

cool stuff. that makes a lot more sense as to the mechanics and whatnot.

hopefully I'll get to play tonight, although I'll probably be a bit late just b/c I'm heading out to my mosque in like half an hour...

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Another game's starting up, so everyone should drop by!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Chat transcripts, for those interested in reviewing important things pointed out:
Packet 1 (Chitin Classic Round 2) [137.2 KB]
Packet 2 (Weekend of Quizbowl Singles?) [85.9 KB]
Packet 3 (Trash packet - EPIC II packet 1) [103.3 KB]

Excellent turnout this evening - we had about 20 people and most stayed for a decent amount of time. :)

What are we doing regarding high school vs. open nights? They've all been open so far but we definitely need to start having more high school only nights. Are we going to make one of the three existing nights "open" nights or come up with a different night to do games open to everyone?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Much fun was had by all, though I do agree in principle that we should probably consider splitting the college and high school games on occasion. Some tougher competition might be good, but too much of it might be counterproductive, as many of the questions aren't even getting to the stock clues that people preparing for nationals need to be learning.

Here were the scores of the games, for those of you who don't want to scroll all the way through the logs:

Game 1
Kent Buxton: 65
Jason Mueller: 50
Matt Chadbourne: 35
Mohammed Zahid: 30
Spencer Fish: 25
John Ahlfield: 15
Jeffrey Hill: 15
Charles Hang: 0
Adam Magnusson: 0
Mike Jones: 0
Will Hack: 0
Grant Gates: 0
Bradley Dice: 0
"Schyler523": 0
Brian Mahan: -5

Game 2
Matt Chadbourne: 90
Jason Mueller: 75
Mohammed Zahid: 20
Grant Gates: 20
Charles Hang: 15
Kent Buxton: 5
Brian Mahan: 5
Jeffrey Hill: 0
John Ahlfield: 0
Adam Magnusson: 0
Mike Jones: 0
Bradley Dice: 0
"Sam": 0
Will Hack: -5
Spencer Fish: -10

Game 3 (trash)
Charlie Dees: 40
Jason Mueller: 35
"Jeff/Robert": 35
Spencer Fish: 15
Mike Jones: 15
Jason Liang: 15
Matt Chadbourne: 10
Will Hack: 10
Jeffrey Hill: 5
Grant Gates: 0
Mohammed Zahid: -5
Brian Mahan: -10

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

In game 2 you didn't switch Grant and I's scores lol. We played as each other that whole game.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Lol...I actually did, and was going to post the scores, but Matt beat me to it. :D

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Oh I didn't even notice that he posted them and not you. Bad Matt! You messed up the score!

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Again, tonight, 11 minutes.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

There are only 5 people in here right now... :(

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

I didn't get to take down the scores for the academic round, but here are the scores for the trash round:

Charlie: 45
Matt: 10
Derek: -5
Mohammed: 0
Grant: 15
Spencer: 0
Brandon: 25
Will: -10
Cameron: 30
Jason Mueller: 10