Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Saint Louis University

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
AShoaib

Saint Louis University

Post by AShoaib »

So it's semi-semi-official. Saint Louis University Academic Competition Team is having an unofficial informational meeting tomorrow at 2:45PM at Grand Market in the Busch Student Center. If anyone's interested, please email me at ashoaib [at] slu.edu. Spread the word to all people you know who might be interested-- we'll see how turnout goes tomorrow.

I'm going to document the process as it goes along.

What we've done so far:
- Mohammed wanted to do an Ac. Team at SLU last year, but he had a lack of time to get through initial red tape
- He and I wrote constitution over the last three-ish weeks.
- We submitted it to the chair in charge of Chartered Student Organizations
- Mohammed met with her today. Apparently our formatting was wrong with the constitution, but besides that, we seem to be pretty well-set.

Next Steps:
- Fix constitution
- Find faculty sponsor (Mohd. says he has a name in mind)
- RECRUIT!!!
- See how the meeting goes tomorrow
- Meet with the board on external organizations (or some elaborate name like that). If they approve of our plan, we get probationary status (ie: we can rent halls and stick up fliers, but we get no money).
- Grow rapidly and in a while, get full-fledged status with funding.
- Attend events

Planned/Semiplanned Activities:
- Helping run Paul Nelson's tournament at Parkway Central on 21 November
- Helping with WUHSAC XII (I'm trying to get a hold of John Ahlfield, President of WUAT)
- ACF (31 October)
- Gateway (7 November)
- Anything else you guys bring up, we'll consider. We're a fresh team with no funding, and we're trying to see how much of an interest is present.

PenforPrez

Saint Louis University

Post by PenforPrez »

Yay! :) I'm really glad you guys have reached this point! If you guys need any help from me anytime, you have my email. Please don't hesitate to ask me at all. :) I'll let Sean know you guys want to help with WUHSAC, but he'll probably see this post in the next day or two.

FZW Coach

Saint Louis University

Post by FZW Coach »

Way to go, Abdullah!

AShoaib

Saint Louis University

Post by AShoaib »

Update:
- We have a faculty adviser
- We're all set on the paperwork, we just need to turn it in now
- We've had one practice, borrowing Wash U's buzzers
- We are all complete n00bs. Like, really, we are complete and utter n00bs.

Yes, Charles, we are looking at new packets, but it's a bit of a pain to attend many tourneys with a very unstable team. But hey, we have 6 people, and two teams at ACF fall...

Charlie Dees

Saint Louis University

Post by Charlie Dees »

What kinds of packets are you reading as far as difficulty goes? Are you sticking mostly to things like Minnesota Undergrad, Novice sets, Delta Burke, and ACF Fall? If you're reading stuff harder than that regularly, while it's all good and will help you improve, they might be a lot more inaccessible to a new college team. In any case, ACF Fall should be fun, we're excited to have you joining the college circuit.

AShoaib

Saint Louis University

Post by AShoaib »

We've been practicing off of ACF Fall questions.

AShoaib

Re: Saint Louis University

Post by AShoaib »

This Wednesday is our first general interest meeting as an officially chartered organization. We've been trying to advertise it, but if anybody on this board knows any interested SLU students, tell them to contact us at slu.ac.team@gmail.com, or come at 4:00 P.M., Wednesday, March 24th in Ritter Hall, Room 102.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

AShoaib wrote:This Wednesday is our first general interest meeting as an officially chartered organization.
This is awesome. Congratulations on getting officially recognized!

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

AShoaib wrote:This Wednesday is our first general interest meeting as an officially chartered organization. We've been trying to advertise it, but if anybody on this board knows any interested SLU students, tell them to contact us at slu.ac.team@gmail.com, or come at 4:00 P.M., Wednesday, March 24th in Ritter Hall, Room 102.
Yay! :D