Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Scholarship Idea

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
joshua.bonnett

Scholarship Idea

Post by joshua.bonnett »

I am the varsity captain at Benton High School in Saint Joseph, Missouri. I was thinking that maybe we could do a one person from each school tournament. The winner of the tournament could win a small scholarship. If you know of any way to make this happen or of any quiz bowl scholarships please email me at rush_fan91@yahoo.com. Thank you for your cooperation.

Charbroil

Scholarship Idea

Post by Charbroil »

Joshua, this isn't a bad idea, except that MSHSAA rules ban any sort of monetary compensation over $20 for playing Quiz Bowl (or any other MSHSAA activity).

Charlie Dees

Scholarship Idea

Post by Charlie Dees »

Would a solo tournament actually come under the purview of MSHSAA? I was under the impression that all they managed were team tournaments.

Charlie Dees

Scholarship Idea

Post by Charlie Dees »

In any case, I guarantee you that this will never be financially viable unless some corporation backs it.

PenforPrez

Scholarship Idea

Post by PenforPrez »

Charbroil wrote:Joshua, this isn't a bad idea, except that MSHSAA rules ban any sort of monetary compensation over $20 for playing Quiz Bowl (or any other MSHSAA activity).
That actually got bumped up to $100 thanks to a rule change this summer.

PenforPrez

Scholarship Idea

Post by PenforPrez »

joshua.bonnett wrote:I am the varsity captain at Benton High School in Saint Joseph, Missouri. I was thinking that maybe we could do a one person from each school tournament. The winner of the tournament could win a small scholarship. If you know of any way to make this happen or of any quiz bowl scholarships please email me at rush_fan91@yahoo.com. Thank you for your cooperation.
Many many years ago (back when I played), Drury University in Springfield did just that. They ran a huge tournament specifically as a recruiting tool. Players on the winning team got $1,000 scholarships each; the second place players got $500. But MSHSAA took over quizbowl after the '94-'95 season and their rules ban any such award, and the Drury tournament immediately folded for that reason.

I played in the last Drury tournament in '95 as a freshman. We won that day; we beat Webb City in the final. It was so cool. :)

FZW Coach

Scholarship Idea

Post by FZW Coach »

Lindenwood University offered our players $7500 + $2500 (work/learn) if they decide to attend the university based on how we did at their History Bowl.

Unfortunately, I doubt any of the players will cash in. It is a fine institution (in fact I will teach a class there next semester), but it is too close to home for these students.

joshua.bonnett

Re: Scholarship Idea

Post by joshua.bonnett »

Thank you and I respect all the feedback. I was just thinking out loud just tring to help out the Quiz Bowl players of Missouri.

PenforPrez

Re: Scholarship Idea

Post by PenforPrez »

joshua.bonnett wrote:Thank you and I respect all the feedback. I was just thinking out loud just tring to help out the Quiz Bowl players of Missouri.
Nothing wrong with that at all! I wish more people would do that. :)