Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2009-2010 Midseason Team Rankings Poll

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

2009-2010 Midseason Team Rankings Poll

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hey everyone,
I will be running another poll for you to rank the top 10 teams in the state by popular vote.
Your directions:
Send me an email at charlie16@gmail.com with a list, numbered 1 through 10, of who you believe the 10 best teams in the state are at the present time, regardless of class size.
Please do not: submit unranked lists of 10 teams, submit ballots where you have teams tied for a particular spot, submit ballots that are actively excluding teams that you may suspect are in the top 10 simply because you haven't seen them play or whatever, or ballots that are not good faith attempts to really rank the top 10, or submit the ballot to me anywhere but my email account charlie16@gmail.com. If you submit ballots with these problems, I will send you an email asking you to correct them and resend them, or I will withhold the right to throw out the ballots. I don't believe I have ever had to resort to that before, so we should be fine.
Send me your ballots by midnight on January 3rd please.
-Charlie Dees

Charlie Dees

Re: 2009-2010 Midseason Team Rankings Poll

Post by Charlie Dees »

Here are links to statistics from all the MOQBA tournaments run so far this year, which I would advise people creating their ballots to consult with. In my experience, statistics like bonus conversion, power count when possible, points per game, and individual game results can be useful in determining a ranking.
Missouri Fall Academic Tournament. Used NAQT's IS set 86 with powers, negs, and rebounding bonuses. http://www.missouriquizbowl.com/reports ... dings.html (to calculate bonus conversion, multiply the number under p/b by 30).
Liberty Scholar Bowl Invitational. Used Dunbar's Fall set with no powers and rebounding bonuses. http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Missouri State's Fall Academic Tournament. Used NAQT's IS-88 with powers, negs, and nonrebounding bonuses. http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Spirit of St. Louis at Parkway Central. Used NAQT's Introductory set 89A with powers, negs, and nonrebounding bonuses. http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Tiger Bowl at MU. Used HSAPQ's tournament 8 with PACE style powers and rebounding bonuses. http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Missouri S&T Fall Tournament. Used HSAPQ's tournament 9 with powers, negs, and nonrebounding bonuses. http://web.mst.edu/~cbowl/hosting/0910/ ... dings.html

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

There are four ballots so far, so thanks to all of you. The rest of you, please send in your ballots so we can have a nice big sample size.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Until midnight tomorrow, we only got one more so send those ballots in.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Here are the individual ballots that people submitted. I am tallying them now.
Sabrina Fritz
1. Parkway Central
2. Ladue
3. North Kansas City
4. Clayton
5. Priory
6. Hickman
7. Villa Duchesne
8. SLUH
9. Eureka
10. Savannah
Paul Nelson
1. Parkway Central
2. Ladue
3. Clayton
4. NKC
5. Priory
6. Savannah
7. Villa Duchesne
8. Richland
9. SLUH
10. Eureka
Charles Hang
1/ Ladue
2/ PCH
3/ Clayton
4/ NKC
5/ Priory
6/ Hickman
7/ Fort Zumwalt West
8/ Villa Duchesne
9/ PCH B
10/ Savannah
Sam Parilla
1) Ladue
2) Clayton
3) NKC
4)FZW
5)Parkway Central
6)Park Hill South
7)Pilot Grove
8)Truman
9)Savannah
10)Villa Duchesne
Jeffrey Hill
1. NKC
2. Clayton
3. Parkway Central A
4. Priory
5. Ladue
6. Villa Duchesne
7. Savannah
8. SLUH
9. Parkway Central B
10. Hickman
Jason Loy
1. NKC
2. Ladue
3. Clayton
4. Parkway Central
5. Priory
6. Savnnah
7. SLUH
8. Holden
9. Villa Duchesne
10. Hickman
Will Hack
1. PCH
2. Ladue
3. NKC
4. Clayton
5. Priory
6. Eureka
7. Hickman
8. Villa Duchesne
9. Savannah
10. FZW
Charlie Dees
1. Ladue
2. Parkway Central A
3. North Kansas City
4. Clayton
5. Priory
6. Hickman
7. Villa Duchesne
8. Savannah
9. Parkway Central B
10. St. Louis University
Thanks everyone for sending me ballots, if not for you we couldn't have the poll.
Last edited by Charlie Dees on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I am still tallying the top 10, but so far I have our honorable mention of teams that got mention on ballots but didn't have enough votes to make it into the top 10. The numbers in parentheses is what places a team was voted on ballots.

Eureka (6, 9, 10)
Parkway Central B (9, 9, 9)
Park Hill South (5)
Pilot Grove (4)
Holden (3), Truman (3), Richland (3)

Congratulations to these teams, and I will have our top 10 up in minutes.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

And without further ado, your mid-season top 10 teams:

10. Fort Zumwalt West, O'Fallon (4, 7, 10)
9. St. Louis University, St. Louis (7, 8, 8, 9, 10)
8. Hickman, Columbia (6, 6, 6, 7, 10, 10)
7. Savannah (6, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 10, 10)
6. Villa Duchesne, St. Louis County (6, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10)
5. Priory, Creve Coeur (4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5)
4. Clayton (2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4)
3. North Kansas City (1, 1, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4)
2. Parkway Central A, Chesterfield (1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5)
1. Ladue Horton Watkins, Ladue (1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 5)

Congratulations to all teams, and especially to Ladue for winning. It is worth noting that this is the first team to win one of these polls for Missouri that is not North Kansas City. It has been a very exciting season so far, and I am looking forward to seeing the results of the next semester, because there is a lot of team parity and a lot of the top 10 teams here have never played each other, so there could be a lot of really interesting results if some of these teams go to the same tournaments. Good luck everyone.
Last edited by Charlie Dees on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

You're not going to mention the origins of the ballots?

I mean, I don't really care that much about it, but I've always enjoyed seeing how regional influences affect ballots, etc.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I can edit those in.

PCreedon

Post by PCreedon »

Wow, I'm surprised that SLUH is considered as good a team as this poll seems to show. Cool.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ashkenaziCD, corrections made by me wrote:Park Hill South (5 6)
Pilot Grove (4 7)
Holden (3 8), Truman (3 8), Richland (3 8)
Looks like you listed these 3 with points instead of rank; the others had rank listed.

Also, I think Savannah and Villa Duchesne are backwards -- assuming 1st is 10 points and 10th is 1 point, I'm seeing 26 points for Villa Duchesne and 23 points for Savannah.

It certainly looks like we have an exciting second half of the season ahead of us and it would be totally awesome to see more head-to-head matches between these teams and the other promising teams that didn't quite make the top 10. I'll take this opportunity to add a shameless plug to encourage everyone to sign up for the 2010 NAQT Missouri Qualifier in Columbia, which is now less than three months away!

Congratulations to Ladue, especially after I majorly under ranked you! After another look at the stats you definitely should have been top 3 on my ballot. I tried to take everything into account when coming up with my ballot (in addition to PPG, I also looked at bonus conversion, strength of field, difficulty of the question set, number of tournaments in the sense of it being a larger sample size, and to a lesser extent powers and negs. I didn't really take specific head-to-head games into account). In this case, it looks like I ranked NKC ahead because of the larger sample size and better power/neg stats, gave Clayton a little too much weight due to the difficult HSAPQ-9 set, Parkway Central due to slightly higher PPG, bonus conversion, and powers (though on an A set), and Priory ahead due to bonus conversions and powers (again, on an A set). Ladue probably should have been #2 on my ballot. (which would notably make Priory a unanimous 5th among ballots with them listed)

And I just noticed that I didn't take Villa Duchesne's presence at MU Fall into account at all... based on that direct comparison Hickman should have ranked above Villa Duchesne on my ballot at #6.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

PCreedon wrote:Wow, I'm surprised that SLUH is considered as good a team as this poll seems to show. Cool.
You guys impressed a lot of people at Spirit of St. Louis, myself included. You guys played really tough, and you have some good players. If you keep going to good tournaments (WUHSAC, Villa Duchesne, Mort Walker at Mizzou, MST Spring, the NAQT Qualifier at Mizzou) and play more good teams, you're going to become a really good team in turn. :) It really is that simple.

As far as the poll, I'm amazed at the overall consistency in the balloting. I think that lends an added sense of legitimacy to the results. :) I was embarrassed because of the time I spent on my ballot--I had never done a ballot before. But it was worth the effort.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

These results are really interesting and pretty legitimate, in my opinion. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season, considering the number of match-ups that still have to take place. In the top 4, it seems that only Ladue and NKC have played each other on good questions, although we have played PCentral on not-so-great questions. Still, there are a bunch of ways this list could change significantly in the next few months...not a threat or anything :P

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

I think these results are probably pretty accurate so far [assuming anyone values my opinion...], but will definitely improve as the top teams start to play each other on real question sets (I wish Two Saints wasn't a joke, then I could have wasted my afternoons on something still fun but also worthwhile...)

§ And don't worry Ikshu, we don't take threats lightly :lol:
(No seriously, we don't bother with threats, we go straight to eliminating people :wink: )

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Also, I don't know how much this applied, but did you guys take into consideration who was playing on each team during the tournaments you looked at, or just the overall performance of the school (as a team, regardless of who was present)?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Also, I think Savannah and Villa Duchesne are backwards -- assuming 1st is 10 points and 10th is 1 point, I'm seeing 26 points for Villa Duchesne and 23 points for Savannah.
I went back through, and yeah, I accidentally carried over a 9 that should have been 2 points instead. I'll switch teams.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

dividebyzero wrote:§ And don't worry Ikshu, we don't take threats lightly :lol:
(No seriously, we don't bother with threats, we go straight to eliminating people :wink: )
You would have made a great Bolshevik. :wink: