Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

PACE Introduces Freelance Quiz Bowl University

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

PACE Introduces Freelance Quiz Bowl University

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

PACE has introduced Freelance Quiz Bowl University, which will feature a new article on important quizbowl topics every other Thursday. I encourage everyone to check it out.
pace-nsc.org wrote:PACE believes that the true measure of good quizbowl players and coaches is not just how many points they have scored or tournaments they have won, but also how they have served the larger quizbowl community. Quizbowl as it is known today would not exist without the thousands of hours enthusiastic volunteers put in each year to write questions and run tournaments. PACE believes that one of the biggest obstacles to better questions, better tournaments, and better teams is that players and coaches often do not have a good reference for how to improve their questions, their tournaments, or their teams.

PACE has established Freelance Quiz Bowl University to teach others how to write good questions, run good tournaments, become a better player, or do any number of other things its members have learned to do through years of experience. Every other Thursday, Freelance Quiz Bowl University will debut a new set of “online lecture notes” on a topic important to quizbowl theory or practice.

Freelance Quiz Bowl University will divide its articles into three tiers: “lower division” articles will cover basics and are designed to help new players and coaches get into the game as soon as possible; “upper division” articles will cover more advanced topics or highlight a specific aspect of writing questions or running tournaments; “graduate division” articles will discuss finer points of quizbowl theory and are designed for the experienced player, coach, question writer, or tournament director looking to improve even more. Whether you’ve just been introduced to quizbowl or you’re part of a perennial national championship contender, PACE hopes to help you improve in all aspects of your quizbowl career.

If you have a suggestion for a Freelance Quiz Bowl University article topic, please contact Dwight Wynne at dpwynne@gmail.com.

Machina

Re: PACE Introduces Freelance Quiz Bowl University

Post by Machina »

YES.

This is excellent. Just the type of articles and organization I've been looking for. Go PACE!!! :D

PCreedon

Post by PCreedon »

This is something I can get behind. I look forward to seeing articles that tell you how to be a better player that can be summarized by saying "Know more stuff."

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

PCreedon wrote:This is something I can get behind. I look forward to seeing articles that tell you how to be a better player that can be summarized by saying "Know more stuff."
I imagine there will be somewhat more useful information than that? For one thing, the "Introduction to the Pyramidal Question" article (http://www.pace-nsc.org/?p=469) should be useful for your plans to write that JV tournament.

PCreedon

Post by PCreedon »

PCreedon wrote:This is something I can get behind. I look forward to seeing articles that tell you how to be a better player that can't be summarized by saying "Know more stuff."
Thank you for pointing that out. The change has been bolded.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

This is back!