Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Seeding at MSHSAA Districts?

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charbroil

Seeding at MSHSAA Districts?

Post by Charbroil »

So, is MSHSAA implementing some sort of seeding system by record at Districts this year? The district registration process now includes a requirement that teams apparently have to enter their team records (http://www.mshsaa.org/resources/pdf/Onl ... tions1.pdf), and the individual sites for each district (Ex. http://www.mshsaa.org/Activities/Distri ... district=7) say that "The Seeding and Tournament Bracket have not been completed."

Edit: Upon further perusal, there seems no indication that MSHSAA will be adopting any sort of seeding procedure, which makes the requirement to fill out a team record rather bizarre.

WillHack

Re: Seeding at MSHSAA Districts?

Post by WillHack »

The idea that MSHSAA wants you to enter your record is kind of ridiculous, considering how widely varied team experiences are. I think what MSHSAA is going for is the gradual inclusion of more data points, to more closely regulate academic competition in the future (which is disturbing in and of itself). I really want to know what this is all about....

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Even so, the deadline for those records was a while ago, so teams would have had to already submitted them if they were to make a difference.

ajax

Post by ajax »

To me, it sounds like a seeding system, State had/has something like this when our team went to State, I just assume they are feeding it into Districts now. If so, comparisons between teams are very hard to make.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ajax wrote:To me, it sounds like a seeding system, State had/has something like this when our team went to State, I just assume they are feeding it into Districts now. If so, comparisons between teams are very hard to make.
Actually State is an already predetermined schedule based on what sectional you're in (has been as long as I've been playing). This year's matchups:

ROUND 1
Sectional 1 vs. Sectional 2
Sectional 3 vs. Sectional 4
Sectional 5 vs. Sectional 6
Sectional 7 vs. Sectional 8

ROUND 2
Sectional 1 vs. Sectional 4
Sectional 3 vs. Sectional 2
Sectional 5 vs. Sectional 8
Sectional 7 vs. Sectional 6

ROUND 3
Sectional 1 vs. Sectional 6
Sectional 3 vs. Sectional 8
Sectional 5 vs. Sectional 2
Sectional 7 vs. Sectional 4

ajax

Post by ajax »

When we went to state, they asked for our data, wins-losses, conferences, etc. That is what I meant about that line above. But yeah, you are right, they play by the sectional system.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

MSHSAA has always asked for this stuff with teams attending state because they wanted to publish it in their programs. I see no reason to think this is seriously something to be concerned about, it seems to me that they just are moving up the date where they ask this, either to make it easier to print the program or to find out more about how many teams play tournaments or something.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

MSHSAA also requires coaches to input scores for every game, including games within tournaments. In the past the only specific scores they've required for State registration are the District games.

Most of this information will never be used since only a handful of teams go to State, you can't access another team's W/L record, and District hosts may not even print a program.

Also, you can't differentiate between A-teams and B-teams when listing opponents, so it's not the most accurate form of record keeping. If one were able to see another team's record, they would see that we beat Helias convincingly; too bad it was their C team.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

[Not strictly related to what everyone is talking about, but it still fits the thread's subject line]

How are everyone's district matches going to be set up? I realize that different numbers of teams will show up in different districts, so that will affect it. Last year there were only two teams at our district, so we played a best 2 of 3 deal. This year, I think there's three teams, but they're doing some weird. I'm not 100% sure, but it's something like the other two teams play to see who plays us for the title (for lack of a better word...)

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

dividebyzero wrote:[Not strictly related to what everyone is talking about, but it still fits the thread's subject line]

How are everyone's district matches going to be set up? I realize that different numbers of teams will show up in different districts, so that will affect it. Last year there were only two teams at our district, so we played a best 2 of 3 deal. This year, I think there's three teams, but they're doing some weird. I'm not 100% sure, but it's something like the other two teams play to see who plays us for the title (for lack of a better word...)
I believe the special small district cases are outlined/mandated in the Academic Competition manual (pdf)

--edit--
From page 15 (pdf page 16):

Two teams: Play a best two-out-of-three game format, using questions for the correct “hour.”
Three teams: Play the three preliminary rounds and eliminate one team through the normal seeding procedures, and then play the final, using questions for the correct “hours.”
Four or more teams: Must play the full five-round preliminary, semifinal, and final format.

So the 3 team format sounds like each team plays the other two in the morning, and the top 2 based on W/L, PPG play a one game final?
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: actually read the manual for the information

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:
dividebyzero wrote:[Not strictly related to what everyone is talking about, but it still fits the thread's subject line]

I believe the special small district cases are outlined/mandated in the Academic Competition manual (pdf)
Three teams: Play the three preliminary rounds and eliminate one team through the normal seeding procedures, and then play the final, using questions for the correct “hours.”
So the 3 team format sounds like each team plays the other two in the morning, and the top 2 based on W/L, PPG play a one game final?
Ummm, well according to my understanding, they already decided PCH is gonna play one of the other teams in the [district] finals, meaning less prelim rounds to deal with. Not sure if that's the right thing to do, but that's what I've been told is happening....

Machina

Post by Machina »

We have approx. 1.7 bajillion active teams in our district, so we'll have a full day fo sho.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

We have seven teams in our district. All of them showed up last year, so I would assume we will have the standard 3 round "morning" in which three teams will earn wins through byes, and the two round "afternoon" to determine the champion.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Apparently we have to do a round robin now. No big deal, though. That's three games of round robin (max) followed by a final match (assuming it's not a three-way tie), which puts us playing no more than three games.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Is it just us and north in our district again? I know we're going there for districts... on, I believe, this saturday?

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

ZhangC1459 wrote:Is it just us and north in our district again? I know we're going there for districts... on, I believe, this saturday?
And Fort Zumwalt North if I'm not mistaken.