Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Announcement

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
PenforPrez

Announcement

Post by PenforPrez »

I would like to formally announce that I will be studying library science at Kent State in Ohio starting this fall, and as a result, be retiring from active involvement in Missouri quizbowl. I will still work with teams that I advise and I will try to come to tournaments as time and money allows. This also means that I will be resigning as MOQBA President at some point this summer; I need to figure out my timeframe for moving before I can do anything else.

It has been my pleasure to serve as a player, advisor, moderator and friend to all of you for the last 15 years, and it is hard to leave behind. I value all of the friendships and acquaintances I've made over the years, and it has been a great pleasure to watch so many of you blossom into competitive players. I will treasure all the wonderful memories I've made here for the rest of my life.

Till we meet again. . . .

Keith Moon

Re: Announcement

Post by Keith Moon »

We will miss you Paul. :cry:

Good luck at Kent State!!!

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I get the feeling you'll be back.

Don't be a stranger and good luck in the Buckeye State!

L-Town Expatriate

I'd also like to add this:

My first tournament as a player in interscholastic academic competition was at the UMR tournament Paul ran in October 1999. I was on Liberty's B team that day as varsity didn't have enough people on hand. I was quite the wide-eyed freshman, having my first experience playing players and observing coaches whose hands I would later shake on a regular basis. (Unfortunately, this included a bout of narcolepsy during my first of what would be almost a hundred matches against Savannah - too much roast beef for lunch!)

Over the years, Paul has become more than just a tournament director, superior moderator, and Waylon Jennings fanatic. He's become an adviser for many of us in the academic competition community—new, established, and on and off the block—and a pillar upon which the quality of our competitions has grown. As Paul moves on to become a Golden Flash, the legacy he leaves for tournament directors, moderators, and programs across the state will continue and thrive.

Again, don't be a stranger and best wishes!
Last edited by L-Town Expatriate on Mon May 31, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

We love you Paul. And hopefully Scribblenauts can still work.

Good luck at Kent State!

Machina

Post by Machina »

I don't even know how to phrase words of farewell to you, Paul, but suffice it to say that you've made a huge impact on my and my teammates' quiz bowl lives, and I hope you have a great time at Kent State. :D

ChippytheSavage

Post by ChippytheSavage »

Even though you don't get up here to the NW Corner of Missouri alot, you have also impacted Savannah alot. We are all really going to miss you and your awesome advice. Our occasional trips down south of KC will not be the same anymore. We really hope you come back alot, and dont forget about us back here in Missouri!

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

(Wanted to wait until after HSNCT to say this)
Thanks for all the help and encouragement you've consistently given our team, especially since the beginning of this year. Between that, transportation, and your friendliness in general (plus other stuff I'm most definitely forgetting) I for one will miss you a lot. Good luck at Kent State. Hope we meet again.

PCreedon

Post by PCreedon »

This is a bit overdue, but congratulations, Paul! The quality of Missouri quiz bowl is due to your efforts.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Thank you for your kind words, everyone. It's very gratifying to know you're well thought of. :D

I will be stepping down as president of MOQBA on July 1. We will announce our new president as soon as my successor is decided. I will continue to serve as a MOQBA member and I will do all I can from the Buckeye State. I'm hoping to come back for the 2011 Missouri NAQT Qualifier, but that's too far ahead to plan right now.
L-Town Expatriate wrote:I'd also like to add this:

My first tournament as a player in interscholastic academic competition was at the UMR tournament Paul ran in October 1999. I was on Liberty's B team that day as varsity didn't have enough people on hand. I was quite the wide-eyed freshman, having my first experience playing players and observing coaches whose hands I would later shake on a regular basis. (Unfortunately, this included a bout of narcolepsy during my first of what would be almost a hundred matches against Savannah - too much roast beef for lunch!)

Over the years, Paul has become more than just a tournament director, superior moderator, and Waylon Jennings fanatic. He's become an adviser for many of us in the academic competition community—new, established, and on and off the block—and a pillar upon which the quality of our competitions has grown. As Paul moves on to become a Golden Flash, the legacy he leaves for tournament directors, moderators, and programs across the state will continue and thrive.

Again, don't be a stranger and best wishes!
That was your first tournament, Kyle? I was hoping everyone had forgotten about that tournament! :P

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

And now Kyle has graduated from narcolepsy to turning failed resets into a drinking game.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

I'm proud to announce that due to the resignation of Paul Nelson, who is leaving us to pursue an opportunity at Kent State University in Ohio, MOQBA has elected Jeffrey Hill to serve as its president, beginning today (July 1). Jeff has an extensive resume of directing and assisting at various quality tournaments statewide and will serve as a capable leader for our organization.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Looks like I'm moving to Ohio next Sunday. I'm excited; this is going to be a lot of fun. I went up to Kent about three weeks ago to look around and find a place to live, and I really enjoyed it. If any of you are up Ohio way, send me a shout and we'll get together. :D

octo

Post by octo »

Ah, I'll be just missing you then, I'm going through Ohio the middle of this week for college visits.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

octo wrote:Ah, I'll be just missing you then, I'm going through Ohio the middle of this week for college visits.
Cool. :) Where are you looking?

octo

Post by octo »

Mainly in Cleveland, looking at Case Western tomorrow. I'm also passing through Ohio State, but I'm not nearly as interested in it.

L-Town Expatriate

octo wrote:Mainly in Cleveland, looking at Case Western tomorrow. I'm also passing through Ohio State, but I'm not nearly as interested in it.
Considering you didn't refer to it as THE Ohio State University.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

octo wrote:Mainly in Cleveland, looking at Case Western tomorrow. I'm also passing through Ohio State, but I'm not nearly as interested in it.
Case Western is a really good school; my undergrad advisor did his Ph.D. work there. It's in a really sketchy area, but that's a different problem. It's also a lot more expensive than Ohio State. I'm surprised at how relatively affordable out-of-state tuition is at public schools in Ohio.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Howdy from Kent, Ohio everyone! I hope everyone is ready for another season of quizbowl. :)

Ohio is a lot of fun so far. I was broke for about 10 days and couldn't do anything, but I still got to look around campus and figure out the town. Everybody is so friendly; it's amazing. I've made a couple of friends in town. Classes haven't started yet, so I'll make some more. Life is pretty good up here; I hope to see some of you guys before too long. :)