Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

First time writing questions

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
octo

First time writing questions

Post by octo »

So, my friend Isaac and I decided to try our hand at writing questions for an end-of-the-year tryout about two weeks ago. We wrote the majority of a round in one night, with Isaac writing the bonuses, me writing the tossups using some that our ex-captain Uday and I had already written, and both of us editing. I would add some stock phrase here about how much I enjoyed it and how it augmented my knowledge, but on this forum I believe that would be preaching to the choir.

Anyway, I uploaded our questions here. The difficulty is quite low because we didn't anticipate our members-to-be having too much knowledge of the quiz bowl canon. Of course, we ended up only having one person come, and he sucked so much that he couldn't even answer most of these, but we tried. Criticism and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie Dees

Re: First time writing questions

Post by Charlie Dees »

For a first writing effort, this is a good job, especially since you have hardly played any pyramidal tournaments. I hope more players try their hand at writing questions like this, because it will make them definitely improve. If you want, I can talk you through specific suggestions to improve your writing in the #quizbowl irc chatroom, but I definitely want to make sure I say that this is commendable work.