Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Congratulations seniors

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

Congratulations seniors

Post by Charlie Dees »

I just wanted to take the time out to congratulate the seniors who I've gotten to know through staffing tournaments over the last few years on graduating. Some of you I know better than others, and I am surely going to forget some people (and there will be others who I simply don't know), but here goes: Ikshu Neithalath, who I've probably known longer than any other current players and who has turned into an especially excellent player, Sabrina Fritz who is one of the most enthusiastic players I've ever met, Sam Haynes who went quickly from being a guy nobody knew of on a not very good team just last year to a player who can singlehandedly beat lots of the top teams in the state, Zev Kane who unfortunately didn't play all that much, but who proved to be probably the best player in the state behind Max and Ikshu when he did drop in, Will Alexander, Sam Parilla, Mark Richter, Justin Bayer, and Charlie Beard. Also, I especially want to congratulate Craig Chval and Marc Micatka who I got to spend a lot of time working with over the last year and a half. They are both really cool guys who both improved a ton and who really helped make the team a lot of fun to work with.

Good job to all of you (and the other seniors I don't know). If you ever are back in town and decide you want to staff some of our tournaments because you're bored and want to visit with other quizbowlers, drop us a line. I know we'll be seeing some of you on the college circuit (and if you're unsure about college quizbowl but there is a club at your school, you should totally at least check it out). Whether or not we in MOQBA end up running into you again, I want to say that we really are happy you guys were involved in the game, it made tournaments a whole lot more fun for to staff than if you hadn't played. Best of luck wherever life takes you all.

Machina

Re: Congratulations seniors

Post by Machina »

This reply is far too long in coming but definitely necessary. I think I speak for not only myself but a lot of other players from the class of 2011 by saying that we are so grateful for all the work you and MOQBA has done on our behalf. When I was a freshman, I played only 3 tournaments including districts, all of which were on terrible questions. By the time my senior year rolled around, the entire landscape of Missouri quiz bowl had been transformed. Good tournaments were being held multiple times a month, the competition had been taken to whole new levels of awesome, and the nation was beginning to sit up and take notice of the talent we had. Much of the credit for this goes to the work you have done to make quiz bowl in Missouri better than it was when you were in high school. Thank you so much for everything, and I can't wait to play against you next year.