Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Ace camp at cambellsville

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Coach Brown

Ace camp at cambellsville

Post by Coach Brown »

For all of you who plan to play national tournaments next year, get ready for blizzardageddon. This camp has been dominated by a freshman-to-be named Sam Blizzard from Ohio. He scored 43 on the placement test, which was the highest score at all 3 ace sites. He won the poetry contest and finished second in the mythology contest. His team easily won last night's team competition with him answering virtually every question. He is the best player I have seen at this age, so beware the blizzard. I feel sorry for all of the teams in Ohio, because he is just too good.

Charlie Dees

Re: Ace camp at cambellsville

Post by Charlie Dees »

If he were a student under MSHSAA jurisdiction he would be a nobody right now, because in Ohio they have been allowing him to play on Northmont's very competitive team while he was still a middle schooler.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Oh yeah, and Northmont is a pro-pyramidal quizbowl team, so the more teams get good at pyramidal quizbowl the more you're going to see this happening. This will never happen for a team who prepares for speedcheck questions.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

All of what Charlie says is true. And by the way, he was scoring high at HSNCT and NSC AS AN 8TH GRADER. Like around 30 ppg at both. I think Sam just shows that if you prepare enough, you can be good no matter how old you are.

christino

Post by christino »

Sam was the 17th highest scorer with 71 ppg, on Northmont B, at HSNCT. I believed he played for Northmont B for most of this year.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

christino wrote:Sam was the 17th highest scorer with 71 ppg, on Northmont B, at HSNCT. I believed he played for Northmont B for most of this year.
He did, Ben (he was on Northmont B at NSC). When I said 30 ppg I was going off of half-remembered NSC results.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

darn i thought blizzardageddon was this past winter

WilliamofOrange

Post by WilliamofOrange »

Mewto55555 wrote:darn i thought blizzardageddon was this past winter
His name is a reference to the event that gave him an inordinate amount of time to become really really good.

Coach Brown

Post by Coach Brown »

Well, I guess I didn't have a scoop for you guys after all. I am sure that his preparation helped him. Ohio does seem to have some really good players. I would love to take our kids to more pyramidal tournaments, but because of where we live, the travel is too much. We did attend both Rolla tournaments and one in Columbia, but nobody to my knowledge hosted one in Springfield. I think the tougher competition in these tournaments helped us at the state tournament, and I thank you for hosting them. We don't get invited to some tournaments around Richland.

It is tough coaching at a small school due to conflicts with sports. All of our smart girls would rather play basketball or cheerlead. We know that Ladue and other big schools will usually beat us, but I know playing them will help us at state. So, keep hosting tough tournaments with pyramidal questions because we will try to attend them.

Have a great summer.

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

Coach Brown, there will hopefully be a pyramidal tournament in Springfield on November 5; Phil George is working on putting that together. I'll let you know if that materializes. Tuscumbia will be hosting pyramidal tournaments on October 15 and February 25.

Coach Brown

Post by Coach Brown »

Jason,

That sounds great - be sure to invite us. You are sure working hard at Tuscumbia - I look for you guys to become a state contender soon. We have four buzzer systems you can use, and I can read if you need readers.

I will be sure to invite you to our tournament which will use Naqt questions in standard MSHSAA format.
We usually get a bunch of good teams at our tournaments.

Thanks again for all of your hard work to improve the game.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Coach Brown wrote:I will be sure to invite you to our tournament which will use Naqt questions in standard MSHSAA format.
I have heard from NAQT that they are no longer going to produce MSHSAA format sets other than one that is strictly for conferences, and obviously the MSHSAA series.

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

Yeah, with what Charlie said, it looks like the best option for the Richland tournament is to use an A-set from NAQT. Those are the sets that NAQT pulls the 2nd and 4th quarter tossups from, so teams will be getting practice on the exact same types of questions that they'll see at districts. One disadvantage of A-sets is the relatively high amount of questions about popular culture. That could be avoided by using something like the novice tournament written by the University of Minnesota (http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11602).

If Richland hosts pyramidal tournaments, Tuscumbia would gladly come. My players aren't too crazy about MSHSAA format stuff, so we play all pyramidal tournaments except for districts.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ashkenaziCD wrote:
Coach Brown wrote:I will be sure to invite you to our tournament which will use Naqt questions in standard MSHSAA format.
I have heard from NAQT that they are no longer going to produce MSHSAA format sets other than one that is strictly for conferences, and obviously the MSHSAA series.
This'll definitely help get more of NAQT's questions used for actual tournaments.

Now if the landslide were to intensify…

Jason, I'd like to know how to get in contact with the guys at MoState. Being two hours away now, I would like to help where they'd need me.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Jason Loy wrote:Coach Brown, there will hopefully be a pyramidal tournament in Springfield on November 5; Phil George is working on putting that together. I'll let you know if that materializes. Tuscumbia will be hosting pyramidal tournaments on October 15 and February 25.
Just out of curiosity, what sets are you planning on using (specifically on October 15)?

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

Kyle: sent you a pm.

Jacob: We're using SCOP Novice. A full announcement is forthcoming.