Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Skipping MSHSAA districts?

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
bruins4life

Skipping MSHSAA districts?

Post by bruins4life »

I'm seriously considering skipping MSHSAA districts this year. Last year was just upsetting to so many students based on the buzzer races and a problem that we had with a couple of challenges because of MSHSAA rules. Are there any consequences to skipping districts?

MOQBA State is the best state tournament, anyway.

Thoughts?

Jason Loy

Re: Skipping MSHSAA districts?

Post by Jason Loy »

In the absence of extenuating circumstances, I wouldn't advocate doing this. It can't look good to your administration and athletic director, and the powers that be could use the absence as a reason to withhold funding or approval for participation in other events in the future. If you have players that would truly get frustrated enough to derail their performance or the tournament itself, give that spot to a developing player.

If you simply don't register for the tournament, there won't be any formal consequences with MSHSAA as far as I know. The last time I hosted a district tournament, I had two schools that simply didn't show up for the tournament with no prior notice, and I believe they were levied a small fine. However, I don't see the lack of defined penalties as a justification not to attend.