Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

State Qualifying Teams

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
missouriacademic

State Qualifying Teams

Post by missouriacademic »

I am trying to prepare a profile of the teams that will be at the state tournament and would appreciate any info you could give me on any of the 32 teams (won-loss record, key wins/losses, key players, etc.)

Class 1 - Bell City, New Covenant Academy, Thomas Jefferson, Pilot Grove, Norborne, North Shelby, Worth County, Mound City

Class 2 - South Pemiscot, Viburnum, Eugene, South Shelby, Richland, Purdy, Adrian, Barstow

Class 3 - Notre Dame (Cape), Westminster Christian, Clark County, Osage, Strafford, El Dorado Springs, Pembroke Hill, Savannah

Class 4 - Eureka, Parkway Central, St. Louis University High, Hannibal, Kirksville, Webb City, Raytown South, Liberty

Thanks in advance!!
James

JimmyL

State Qualifying Teams

Post by JimmyL »

PCH-
I think we are 38-7, have beaten Eureka three times and lost to them three times total in the past two years. Lost to Kirksville in the JV state tournament last year in the semis. Those are all the state qualifying 4A teams this current PCH team has played in recent years.

I know Kirksville's top player is probably Tim Carroll...I think he said his average was around 13-14 tpg. Another one of their players also made all district, I think.
I heard Liberty's top player is Michael Richards

wca

State Qualifying Teams

Post by wca »

We are 40-5. Two losses against New Trier. The first game they layed the smack down. The second, we held with them until the last two questions. We lost to Savannah twice as well. Same type of games, but the questions were absolutely deplorable. We also lost once to Eureka. They got the luck of really easy bonuses, and beat us on the last two questions. Other than that, the only team to stick with us was Richland. We beat them by about 50 points or so.

missouriacademic

State Qualifying Teams

Post by missouriacademic »

I sent a few emails out as well, hopefully we can get a better idea on some of the teams we haven't heard much about on here.

wca

State Qualifying Teams

Post by wca »

Is it just me or are there a lot of new teams.

Class 1: 5 of 8
Bell City
New Covenant
Norborne
Worth County
Mound City

Class 2: 5 of 8
South Pemiscot
Viburnum
Eugene
Purdy
Barstow

Class 3: 6 of 8
Cape Notre Dame
Clark County
Osage
Strafford
El Dorado Springs
Pembroke Hill

Class 4: 4 of 8
Eureka
Kirksville
Webb City
Raytown South

That is a total of 20 new teams, that is 62.50% new teams since last year. Why such the turnover? Are any of these teams completely new or do any have somewhat of a tradition? From the looks of the disctrict scores, the top teams every year, plus a few new ones, will dominate this year.

East Buc & UMR

State Qualifying Teams

Post by East Buc & UMR »

some of those are not new teams. Mound city won the first couple of 1a titles always a tough team, just had a great team in there district last year. worth country is the team that came out of my district my senior year(i'm still wondering how that happend) when I went to state sophomore year, pembroke hill beat lexington in the morning(the year lexington took 2nd) not sure what place pembroke got. Eureka, kirksville, and webb city all have a state place(1-4) in the past 3ish years so they are not new. All the others have not been there for awhile

mujason

State Qualifying Teams

Post by mujason »

Well, in Class 1, Norborne's been to state before and Mound City has won multiple state titles.
In Class 2, Purdy and Barstow have been there before.
In Class 3, Notre Dame, Clark County, Osage, and Pembroke Hill have been there before.
In Class 4, Eureka, Kirksville, and Webb City have been to state before.
That's all I can remember.

Jason Mueller

eldo player

State Qualifying Teams

Post by eldo player »

El do is new this is just the schools third year of competition

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

State Qualifying Teams

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Ray South made it in 1997 and went 0-3. Last year Ray-Pec was the first team from their conference to win a match at state, with an awesome player named Corey. Either he had an off day last week or Raytown South has someone no one's noticed before.