Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Overall state Rankings

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

What are the overall state rankings by class?

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

James needs to update his site too. But will he?

DeckardCain

Overall state Rankings

Post by DeckardCain »

James isn't on much anymore.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Overall state Rankings

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

As little as he is on there, he doesn't seem to have much free time to be able to do so. I am not sure how WCA compares to us, but considering how we did against Savannah, we would probably have to play each other to determine who was the best (but I'm pretty sure it's between us and them). Based on Andrew's and George's numbers, it seems that they would barely beat us if we played; it just depends on who gets ahead first.

Ranking the eight teams who made it to their respective championship games:

1. WCA & Liberty (too close to call)
3. Savannah
4. PCH
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. Richland
7. St. Joseph Christian
8. Barstow

But then again, I have never seen Richland or TJ play.

I don't know enough to be able to rank Classes 1-3.

Here's my Class 4 top seven (I have no clue after seven...):
1. Liberty
2. PCH
3. Eureka
4. Helias
5. Kirksville
6. Ladue
7. Oak Park

DeckardCain

Overall state Rankings

Post by DeckardCain »

Looks good, except I would put TJ over Richland. Richland was 0-3 against TJ according to B_Mahan.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Overall state Rankings

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Ok sounds good. I have changed my post - all I had to go by was scores from State.

East Buc & UMR

Overall state Rankings

Post by East Buc & UMR »

richland did beat savannah

DeckardCain

Overall state Rankings

Post by DeckardCain »

Here's what I would say for the top 5 or so:

Class 3
1. WCA
2. Savannah
3. Priory
4. El Dorado
5. Notre Dame
6. Lexington

Class 2
1. Richland
2. Barstow
3. Eugene
4. Fordland
5. South Shelby

Class 1
1. TJ
2. SJC
3. Mound City
4. Bell City
5. North Shelby
6. Hume

mujason

Overall state Rankings

Post by mujason »

Yeah, a lot of these rankings are transitive; for example, Richland beat Savannah, TJ beat Richland, but Savannah would probably beat TJ. I'll put up my rankings later after I do a little research.

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

Class One
1. TJ
2. SJC
3. Bell City
4. North Shelby
5. Hume
6. Macon County
7. King City
8. Lutheran

Don't quote me on this. I'm not sure about it.

Jeffrey Hill

Overall state Rankings

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

East Buc & UMR wrote: richland did beat savannah
I have seen Savannah play a lot more than I have Richland (haha since I've never seen Richland play...) and they are very strong (although they may have gotten too overconfident in the later part of the season, which may have pushed them down). I still see them just as strong as us.

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

Saw Jason at state, with a FBLA shirt I think.

mujason

Overall state Rankings

Post by mujason »

Yeah, but it was technically a PBL shirt (the college version of FBLA).

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

Okay, Hume finally started an FBLA this year, amazingly.

Jeffrey Hill

Overall state Rankings

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ajax wrote: Class One
1. TJ
2. SJC
3. Bell City
4. North Shelby
5. Hume
6. Macon County
7. King City
8. Lutheran

Don't quote me on this. I'm not sure about it.
I'm going to quote you.

Mound City should be high up there... your ranking should also include good teams that didn't make it. Mound City should be up near St. Joseph Christian. Notice how Matt put Eugene as #3 in Class 2 - they were in Richland's district; otherwise, they would have gone to state and done very well.

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

Guess what, I did overestimate us and regreted it.

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

I was talking about State Comp, Jeff. I know some teams would be on there. Mound City, Eugene, St. Liz would all be on that list.

Jeffrey Hill

Overall state Rankings

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

OK, I wasn't sure. Unfortunately there's not much one can change that listing since you can basically compare scores at State and adjust for what you think were flukes.

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

Playing with hypotheticals is a waste of time. Liberty did awesome.

DeckardCain

Overall state Rankings

Post by DeckardCain »

Yeah, I was shocked when Hume didn't make the afternoon.

Hmmm.. coincidentally, all three of the rankings I did had a team that was not at state in the #3 spot. I'm sure that all three of them would have brought a trophy home if they were there.

Jeffrey Hill

Overall state Rankings

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Actually, I should look at the numbers more carefully. Andrew + George = 24.8 tpg; Michael + Ryan + Me = 26 tpg... based on how well I think we did, it seems that we would come out on top - but a 1 TPG difference between all-staters isn't a wide-enough margin. I think I will actually go with the fact that most of our tossups are spread between three players instead of two and say that our balanced team will barely beat theirs... but I'm thinking it would come down to who gets ahead faster. I am leaving it a tie.

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

Shock, not necessary, we were just outdone. But we pulled an all-nighter too, which was stupid. And some of our team wanted to go to Prom, instead of help the team. Plus we were the smallest 1a believe it or not.

East Buc & UMR

Overall state Rankings

Post by East Buc & UMR »

There is question overlap, you need to know who is faster. and on math it is Andrew

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

A new saying

"Being All State is good, having a championship is much better."

Jeffrey Hill

Overall state Rankings

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

East Buc & UMR wrote: There is question overlap, you need to know who is faster. and on math it is Andrew
Yes that is true. Just like last year, we are still pretty balanced on how far we are in Math (most of us are in Calculus I or II; Mike has completed Calc III), so I'm sure Andrew would definitely beat us on that. As for everything else, I'm not sure.

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

Math is life and death in QB.

Jeffrey Hill

Overall state Rankings

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Half of the questions I got were math... but I am definitely not consistent - sometimes I blank out or get ahead of myself when I'm working on a calculation.

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

Ever get that feeling where you at the end of a crossroad and you just missed a moment which could have changed you and feel regret over it?

DeckardCain

Overall state Rankings

Post by DeckardCain »

ajax wrote: A new saying

"Being All State is good, having a championship is much better."
One of the more intelligent things I've read on here. I've always maintained I would have rather got 3rd or 4th all-state and won as a team than take 1st all-state and get second, and I'm sure Jason, Chris Ottolino, etc. feel the same way.

Jeffrey Hill

Overall state Rankings

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ajax wrote:Ever get that feeling where you at the end of a crossroad and you just missed a moment which could have changed you and feel regret over it?
Sometimes, yes... but then again I also made it to a crossroad and was thankful that my mom likes Julia Roberts movies and my sister has both Princess Diaries DVD's... and of course that I dedicated a lot of my time to studying and that my teammates were just as dedicated.

Octoguy

Overall state Rankings

Post by Octoguy »

ScoBo1987 wrote: Notice how Matt put Eugene as #3 in Class 2 - they were in Richland's district; otherwise, they would have gone to state and done very well.
I'm quoting Jeff, though in reality I am quoting all of you. I really do appreciate the faith and support all of you have/had in Eugene.

It is sad for me to leave my high school academic bowl career in this sort-of incomplete way - knowing that we could not live up to our full potential. At times I wonder what could have happened if I had just one more year to try. What's done is done, but I dunno......sometimes I think I could have done better.

And this may sound perverse, but I'd like to view and hold somebody's state medal at some point. Doesn't matter what place. I won't take it, I promise. I just want to see one up close. Yeah, I know. I'm disgusting. :rolleyes:

DeckardCain

Overall state Rankings

Post by DeckardCain »

ajax wrote: Ever get that feeling where you at the end of a crossroad and you just missed a moment which could have changed you and feel regret over it?
Yes. Today is the one-year anniversary of 4 radical 5.

DeckardCain

Overall state Rankings

Post by DeckardCain »

You're more than welcome to come steal the trophy with me tomorrow. :lol: I'll post details after the mission is complete.

East Buc & UMR

Overall state Rankings

Post by East Buc & UMR »

hey AJ how about you change your sig before we have to block you

:D

DeckardCain

Overall state Rankings

Post by DeckardCain »

You do know moderators can change signatures, right?

Jeffrey Hill

Overall state Rankings

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

DeckardCain wrote: Yes. Today is the one-year anniversary of 4 radical 5.
When I read that the first time you posted it I thought you had blurted the right answer out just in time... but I see why you remember that mistake. Reminds me of when John said "3/24" in the Savannah JV final against Savannah (he also forgot to reduce fractions a couple of times in later practices).

I think it was the Eureka game when I buzzed in on one question and said something like 559 when the answer was 459, and Eureka rebounded and got it right, and then later Michael buzzed in and said 425 when the answer was 525 (luckily Eureka's player said 520).

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

Done it, sorry.

East Buc & UMR

Overall state Rankings

Post by East Buc & UMR »

if i change it he might think we are playing a game getting him to change it shows we(well at least I) pay attention to those sort of things

Francesco Borromini

Overall state Rankings

Post by Francesco Borromini »

ScoBo1987 wrote: Just like last year, we are still pretty balanced on how far we are in Math (most of us are in Calculus I or II; Mike has completed Calc III), so I'm sure Andrew would definitely beat us on that.  As for everything else, I'm not sure.
I don't think that means much, honestly: I'm finishing a calc 3 course, and I am abominably slow on math. A much more reliable predictor is the AMC, I think...or even GPML, but I have never been brave enough to venture there...

Jeffrey Hill

Overall state Rankings

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Francesco Borromini wrote: I don't think that means much, honestly: I'm finishing a calc 3 course, and I am abominably slow on math. A much more reliable predictor is the AMC, I think...or even GPML, but I have never been brave enough to venture there...
Right... it just depends on how fast you can do it. Michael and I basically split math (13 right for me, 15 for him), so we don't have a dedicated math person whom we trust to do it right. I could do most of the questions they ask within 30 seconds (except for, of course, dot products and other Calc III things) but if I even blank out for a second I probably wouldn't get it done within 15. My speed has definitely improved over this year but I am probably nowhere near being as good as Andrew.

When I say we are balanced, I mean we all know how to do the problem, so if one of us gets it wrong, the others know where the mistake was and it prompts "I had it"s when they are only a couple seconds slower than who buzzed in. Last year, this killed us (something to which I have alluded many times).

AC160

Overall state Rankings

Post by AC160 »

ajax wrote: Okay, Hume finally started an FBLA this year, amazingly.
I noticed when I was at state FBLA and they had the new chapters listed.

AC160

Overall state Rankings

Post by AC160 »

ajax wrote: Plus we were the smallest 1a believe it or not.
How many people? We are the smallest 1A school that I know of.

MoundCityBMW...T

Overall state Rankings

Post by MoundCityBMW...T »

Mound City has like 10 people in our chapter, and like 85 in our high school...beat that.

LibertyMarie

Overall state Rankings

Post by LibertyMarie »

Octoguy wrote: And this may sound perverse, but I'd like to view and hold somebody's state medal at some point. Doesn't matter what place. I won't take it, I promise. I just want to see one up close. Yeah, I know. I'm disgusting. :rolleyes:
I'll let you see mine sometime

:)

AC160

Overall state Rankings

Post by AC160 »

I would say we have about that many though I will have to go find a more direct number. I am in he largest class in school. We have 28.

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

52 in the high school. According to the MSHSAA Brochure, we were the smallest. But St. Liz might be smaller. Who knows, St. Liz is in the brochure for playing state in 1998. I know I was tired about the time Prom ended, though. My friend killed the fish at prom with the flash on the disposeable camera, which he took apart and stuck in the water.

Octoguy

Overall state Rankings

Post by Octoguy »

LibertyMarie wrote: I'll let you see mine sometime

:)
Awesome, Marie!

mujason

Overall state Rankings

Post by mujason »

Well, I'm still alive!!!

ajax

Overall state Rankings

Post by ajax »

I hope so.... why wouldn't you be?

mujason

Overall state Rankings

Post by mujason »

You mentioned killing a fish at prom and I was just doing a pre-emptive strike on the fish jokes I usually get.