Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

PS3

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Anyone getting a PS3 this friday?

I'm getting my two at Midnight on Friday hopefully getting both up on EBay around 1am.

libertymark

PS3

Post by libertymark »

the only reason i will get a ps3 is for kingdom hearts 3 and if you can install windows. i know you can install third party operating systems but im going to assume that is restricted to some kind of linux.

DeckardCain

PS3

Post by DeckardCain »

Nope - that's a ridiculous amount to pay for a video game system.

East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

The sad part is I except 2k+ on my resells:D

DeckardCain

PS3

Post by DeckardCain »

Indeed. That would be the only reason I would buy one (right now, anyway) but I doubt I could afford even one at retail anyway.

LibertyMarie

PS3

Post by LibertyMarie »

libertymark wrote: the only reason i will get a ps3 is for kingdom hearts 3
:wub:disney!!!

and, yeah, i am soooo there, i can't wait. i just hope i get my money's worth out of it before my wii arrives and distracts me!!

and bill's a jerk, yeesh.

KentB

PS3

Post by KentB »

DeckardCain wrote: Nope - that's a ridiculous amount to pay for a video game system.
quoted for truth

East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

First one just sold after 53 bids for $2,345... I paid $600+ tax... One more to go.

East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Oh the joys of still having contacts at EB in St. Joe.... Only waiting in line was this morning before work while they told people they were sold out except for pre-orders...... YAY for Wii coming out on sunday.....Also for those who haven't saw Amazon is going to sell 1000 xbox 360 for $100 on Thanksgiving.

dirtybird06

PS3

Post by dirtybird06 »

A few friends and I were watching a PS3 auction tonight.

Went for $10,100. No joke.

East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

usually they do that and it is fake you have to watch these high dollar items... if they go that high when they usually go for about 2k something is up

LibertyMarie

PS3

Post by LibertyMarie »

East Buc & UMR wrote: First one just sold after 53 bids for $2,345... I paid $600+ tax... One more to go.
you jerk.
ever think there might be a reason the price is so high?

East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Yeah people with to much money that are retarded

Charlie Dees

PS3

Post by Charlie Dees »

Wii will dominate PS3.

East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

IDk about that... there are some loyal fan boys out there. The way it breaks down is either you get a ps3 or a 360. If you want another system then you get a Wii. Very few people will make the Wii their only system.

johnboy81918

PS3

Post by johnboy81918 »

East Buc & UMR wrote: Oh the joys of still having contacts at EB in St. Joe.... Only waiting in line was this morning before work while they told people they were sold out except for pre-orders...... YAY for Wii coming out on sunday.....Also for those who haven't saw Amazon is going to sell 1000 xbox 360 for $100 on Thanksgiving.
Where'd you see that?!

East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

the $100 360?

Link 1
Amazon

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

PS3

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I want the cheap Prime shipping to win at least one week... I miss my 2-day shipping...
(If I read correctly it will be one of the four options every week)

Now all they need to do is not offer a hot-ticket item like a 360. I would think they might put some iPod up one week unless that violates Apple's reseller pricing policies (basically, "you can't discount them or our retail and online stores won't make any money" :P)

Other than that... 50 PS3's for $1500?

;)

LibertyMarie

PS3

Post by LibertyMarie »

shoot dang, i'd buy a 360 for that price. i don't even game!
(are there any xbox games out there besides halo??)

East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Yeah tons right now I'm playing Gears of War... as you can tell by my icon at the bottom of my posts

LibertyMarie

PS3

Post by LibertyMarie »

idk, the only video games i've ever played involve mario, zelda, or pokemon...hmm, maybe the xbox isn't the system for me.

STPickrell

PS3

Post by STPickrell »

East Buc & UMR wrote: First one just sold after 53 bids for $2,345... I paid $600+ tax... One more to go.
So how'd the second one go?

I should have pooled my resources with someone in the DC area.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

PS3

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

LibertyMarie wrote: idk, the only video games i've ever played involve mario, zelda, or pokemon...hmm, maybe the xbox isn't the system for me.
Hmm... just slightly since all 3 of those are flagship Nintendo series...

:unsure:

East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Ended yesterday and finished around $2,100... not to Shabby.

jcarkeys

PS3

Post by jcarkeys »

East Buc & UMR wrote: Ended yesterday and finished around $2,100... not to Shabby.
If you didn't sell it to Shabby, to whom did you sell it?

East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

some guy in up state NY.

Jeffrey Hill

PS3

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Next week's choices...

Diamond Stud Earrings (1 cttw) - only 190 units at this price
Amazon Price: $1,099.00 Winning Price: $350

Axion Portable DVD Player - only 1,000 units at this price
Amazon Price: $109.99 Winning Price: $25

Black & Decker 12-Volt Drill - only 2,500 units at this price
Amazon Price: $49.99 Winning Price: $10

Amazon Prime & $100 in Toys
Normal: $179.00 Winning Price: $40

-------
Looks like the Prime subscription may have a chance... unfortunately I'll be in CpE 213 whenever the next deal goes on sale.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

PS3

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ScoBo1987 wrote: Next week's choices...

Diamond Stud Earrings (1 cttw) - only 190 units at this price
Amazon Price: $1,099.00 Winning Price: $350
Jeff buying diamond earrings... oh goodie...

:P

Jeffrey Hill

PS3

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

No I'm not buying earrings! Have you missed the point of my posts about this?

And the DVD player is winning right now with about twice as many votes as Prime. At least it's not a blowout like the 360 was. (48% DVD, 23% Prime, 17.8% Earrings, 11.3% Drill)

East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Well they still sell prime and the toys for 120 if it loses.

Jeffrey Hill

PS3

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

East Buc & UMR wrote: Well they still sell prime and the toys for 120 if it loses.
Yeah I know but I don't really want to buy $100 worth of toys/games

East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Angel tree is coming up....

LibertyMarie

PS3

Post by LibertyMarie »

hmm...is it bad that I would not have any problem at all buying $100 worth of toys? And, like, for myself?

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

PS3

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ScoBo1987 wrote: No I'm not buying earrings! Have you missed the point of my posts about this?

And the DVD player is winning right now with about twice as many votes as Prime. At least it's not a blowout like the 360 was. (48% DVD, 23% Prime, 17.8% Earrings, 11.3% Drill)
Yes, I have! :rolleyes:

chad

PS3

Post by chad »

Thats awesome! I do not have a PS3 but I am anticipating the new Kill Zone that looks sweet if we get what sony promises.

LibertyMarie

PS3

Post by LibertyMarie »

Jeffrey Hill

PS3

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Even before voting there's hardly any doubt that the TV will run away with it...

Oh and the new rules are retarded... you can only get the deal you vote for (reasonable) and claim codes will be distributed randomly.
Due to the incredible volume of traffic stemming from the popularity of this feature, we have made some changes to Amazon Customers Vote:
You are eligible to buy only the deal that you voted for.
You need an authorized credit card on your account.
There is no more race to buy: the claim codes will be distributed only to randomly selected customers.

chad

PS3

Post by chad »

Yep, Retarded

LibertyMarie

PS3

Post by LibertyMarie »

what's so strange about it? seems fair to me. the last one went on sale this morning, what if i had wanted a dvd player, too bad, i was at church. hahaha wow grammar...

Jeffrey Hill

PS3

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Well I have no problem with the only-get-the-one-you-vote-for one. I'm just one of those crazy people who would be sitting at the computer the minute the claim codes were available and it drastically lessens my chances of getting cheap prime shipping

;) I'll probably end up taking it for $129 if I'm offered one of the runner up codes <_<

LibertyMarie

PS3

Post by LibertyMarie »

but amazon's so fast even with its normal free shipping...

Jeffrey Hill

PS3

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

LibertyMarie wrote: but amazon's so fast even with its normal free shipping...
I don't know... unless something I ordered wasn't in stock (which I am pretty sure they were all "ships within 24 hours") the last couple of times I've used super saver shipping my stuff didn't ship for 4 or 5 days (from what I understand that's what the free shipping does; just delay the ship time), then once it actually shipped it was here in a decent amount of time (I think 3 days). Plus to get the free shipping you have to order $25 worth and since I usually buy CD's that makes me buy more than I should (of course I'm still spending the money I'd spend buying the extra CD's on the prime shipping... I just don't like waiting over a week to get stuff)

The only reason I'm not spending $79 on it is because I don't buy too much stuff anymore; it would make me buy even more stuff just to make it worth the cost. It'd be only $30 at the runner up price. I got it the first time because I was able to get my DVD recorder in one day which paid for about half of it right then (one day shipping was at least $40). But it's nice to know exactly when something's coming.

LibertyMarie

PS3

Post by LibertyMarie »

*shrug.* yeah. for cds or books sometimes it's kinda pokey. but when i ordered my camera, just with super saver shipping, i got it within a few days. i've always been impressed with that one.

Jeffrey Hill

PS3

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Both times I remember that happening I did order CD's; I do remember one time I ordered something else that wasn't eligible for Prime (not music CD's) and it came within 3 or 4 days although I think I had to actually pay shipping fees (which somewhat cancels the point of this post).

--edit--

Never mind, I looked back at my history and I did get Prime shipping on that order; I guess that order stuck out in my mind because it came USPS priority mail instead of the usual UPS.

LibertyMarie

PS3

Post by LibertyMarie »

lol, wow, you know, I can't say shipping company is the kind of thing that sticks out in my memory. except when it's something I have to sign for, I hate that. not getting something stolen off my doorstep, bah.

libertymark

PS3

Post by libertymark »

dhl is the worst shipping company, i wish apple would switch to someone else

Jeffrey Hill

PS3

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

LibertyMarie wrote: lol, wow, you know, I can't say shipping company is the kind of thing that sticks out in my memory.  except when it's something I have to sign for, I hate that.  not getting something stolen off my doorstep, bah.
I don't know how I remember but I know that this item came in the regular mail

And why is DHL bad?

libertymark

PS3

Post by libertymark »

everything ive read on digg about any shipping company always bashes dhl. ive never actually looked into ups or fedex that much.

Jeffrey Hill

PS3

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I've had no problems with DHL. With one exception, the only couple of times DHL has been used is for replacement computer parts, both Dell (although it may have been Airborne Express then) and Apple, and they were received and returned quickly with no problem. For regular shipping though they probably aren't as good as UPS and FedEx. They seem to specialize in expedited shipping.

I prefer UPS over FedEx because no matter what FedEx's online package tracker always seems to show incorrect information. Besides that, they both ship in a reasonable amount of time.

---
It's ridiculous how many people complained about how the Amazon servers locked up when the 360 deal went on sale... millions of customers going for 1000 Xboxes... of course the server's probably going to screw up especially when a bunch of those people are refreshing every 3 seconds. People are saying stuff like "amazon needs to be sued for this" and "I'm never going to shop here again" in the discussions. How do they expect Amazon to keep its prices so low when to handle all that traffic they'd have to get and maintain so many extra servers JUST for these frenzied buying periods? It's quite obvious none of these people have ever been to woot - at least people there aren't sore losers when they don't get a bag of crap.

OK, enough complaining about complaining people - at least the new system will make this not happen.

East Buc & UMR

PS3

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Well on the 360 deal... Amazon was unusable for 20 minutes before and 20 minutes after. No refreshing just that many people.