Server upgrade complete!

Welcome to the upgraded server! If you notice anything wrong with the board, please let Jeffrey know!Free packets for study/practiceAnnounced tournament dates

Why the Zune will fail

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Why the Zune will fail

Post by Jeffrey Hill » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:16 am

A screenshot taken after connecting a Zune to a computer with Vista:

Source

jcarkeys

Why the Zune will fail

Post by jcarkeys » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:30 am

I just wanna know what the next couple of pictures from that photo shoot looked like! :rolleyes:

East Buc & UMR

Why the Zune will fail

Post by East Buc & UMR » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:56 am

yes because the vista is finished and all.....

The real reason... you can't use music from select site. Like Napster, pretty much everything outside of itune.... If you are using iTunes chances are you have are either wanting an iPod or have an iPod in both cases you have no need for a Zune.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Why the Zune will fail

Post by Jeffrey Hill » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:57 pm

I would agree that incompatibility with other music download services will be the main problem for the Zune, being probably the biggest complaint about the iPod (besides of course the Apple-bashers and the people who hate market-dominating products and enormous fads)

They do have two months to get Vista compatibility out before it's released to consumers, and that should probably not be too much of a problem.

The way I understand it, the Zune uses software separate from Windows Media Player, which while it seems a little inconvenient, it probably means it is less complicated to get songs and such onto it. I personally like how iTunes is a separate thing from QuickTime - it keeps music and videos separated so if I happen to watch a video it doesn't interrupt where I stopped my music, so this may be a good decision on Microsoft's part.

One thing I noticed on Wikipedia is that the Zune can't be used as an external hard drive... yes, you wouldn't buy a 30 GB Zune for $250 to use as an external hard drive (as you could obviously get a dedicated one cheaper, whether it be portable or a full-sized one) but it's convenient for me to use the space not used for music on my iPod as extra space for random stuff. I have a 40 GB 3G iPod and only about 6 GB of music (I got it cheap from a friend which is why I have one with so much space) and probably 20-25 GB of random files on it. Of course, many people wouldn't really care about this capability.

I also don't like the fact that there's preloaded content on it, but that's just me.

jcarkeys

Why the Zune will fail

Post by jcarkeys » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:04 pm

I'll trade you my 15GB for your 40GB. Mine's the old kind with the touch sensitive (not actual click) buttons on a row. I'm pretty sure it's 3rd gen. I have like 25 gigs of music nowadays.

Jeffrey Hill

Why the Zune will fail

Post by Jeffrey Hill » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:10 pm

jcarkeys wrote: I'll trade you my 15GB for your 40GB.  Mine's the old kind with the touch sensitive (not actual click) buttons on a row.  I'm pretty sure it's 3rd gen.  I have like 25 gigs of music nowadays.
Yeah mine's the 3rd generation as well - I got it a few weeks after the 4th generation came out and about a month before the first photo came out (at the very affordable $599 and $699 price points... ;)). I like having the huge amount of space available for big file transfers between 2 non-networked computers if necessary (like too many things I own/have available, I rarely need it but when I do need it I have it readily available). Plus when I first got it I used an iTrip to listen to it in the car and somehow in my pocket one day (while the iTrip was plugged in, as usual) it broke the headphone jack so it will only play out the right channel. It's one of things where I think it'd be nice to buy a new iPod, but I basically bought it mainly for listening to in the car, so it still fulfills its purpose and I can still connect it to a stereo through the dock (which I just this past week figured out is a much better idea for listening to music in our suite common area than playing music loudly from my room.)