Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Dead Turkmen!

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
Charlie Dees

Dead Turkmen!

Post by Charlie Dees »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saparmurat_Niyazov
Saparmurat Niyazov, AKA Turkmenbashi died at age 66. So ends one of the most bizarre dictatorships ever. That guy was really a mess.

scphilli

Dead Turkmen!

Post by scphilli »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED HIM! He was awesome! Completely Batpoop crazy, but AWESOME!

STPickrell

Dead Turkmen!

Post by STPickrell »

I want a golden statue of myself that rotates once a day, too. I'm going to have to say he's one of the most, if not the most, bizarre dictator since Idi Amin.

chad

Dead Turkmen!

Post by chad »

STPickrell Posted on Dec 22 2006, 05:31 PM
I want a golden statue of myself that rotates once a day, too. I'm going to have to say he's one of the most, if not the most, bizarre dictator since Idi Amin.

Guys are we forgetting crazy Kim in south Korea. The buildings in the capital only have electricity up to the third floor and they are sky scrapers. The buildings are not even finished on the inside so there is no point. He created his city to make him look more powerful. They have huge highway systems while they have no cars and their people starving, Kim has a huge collection of American whiskey that he drinks from daily.

Idi Amin was pretty crazy with all the cannibal issues, but he did let the France air Bus land on Uganda soil, so the Israeli secret troop could save their people from the Hijackers. On a side note my favorite world leader would have to be Mandela.

scphilli

Dead Turkmen!

Post by scphilli »

chad wrote: STPickrell Posted on Dec 22 2006, 05:31 PM
Guys are we forgetting crazy Kim in south Korea. The buildings in the capital only have electricity up to the third floor and they are sky scrapers. The buildings are not even finished on the inside so there is no point. He created his city to make him look more powerful. They have huge highway systems while they have no cars and their people starving, Kim has a huge collection of American whiskey that he drinks from daily.

Idi Amin was pretty crazy with all the cannibal issues, but he did let the France air Bus land on Uganda soil, so the Israeli secret troop could save their people from the Hijackers. On a side note my favorite world leader would have to be Mandela.
You mean North Korea right? And I still like Turkmenbashi better because even though he was crazy, he was basically harmless...unless of course you lived there. In that case, you were kinda screwed.

Charlie Dees

Dead Turkmen!

Post by Charlie Dees »

Turkmenbashi was essentially harmless. But he made some even weirder decrees than what Kim Jong-Il has done. Here's wikipedia's list of his decrees:
As President-for-Life of Turkmenistan, he had issued many controversial decrees, such as:

In April 2001 Niyzov banned ballet and opera, describing them as "Not a part of Turkmen culture"[13]
In 2004 he forbade young men to grow long hair or beards[13]
In March 2004 he dismissed 15,000 public health workers in wide-ranging cuts that particularly affected nurses, midwives, school health visitors and orderlies[14]
In April 2004 he urged young people not to get gold tooth caps or gold teeth, suggesting instead that they chew on bones to preserve their teeth[15]
In April 2004 he ordered the construction of an ice palace near the capital.[16]
In 2004 he insisted that all licensed drivers pass a morality test.[17]
In 2004 he banned news readers from wearing make-up[18]
In February 2005 he ordered the closure of all hospitals outside Aºgabat, saying that if people were ill, they could come to the capital. He also ordered the closure of all rural libraries of Turkmenistan, saying that ordinary Turkmen do not read books.[19]
In November 2005 he ordered physicians to swear an oath to the President, replacing the Hippocratic Oath[20]
In December 2005 he banned video games, stating that they were too violent for young Turkmen to play
In January 2006 he ordered an end to paying pensions to one-third of the country's elderly people, cutting pensions to another 200,000, and ordering to pay the pensions received in the past two years back to the state.[21] The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan strongly denied allegations that the cut in pensions resulted in the deaths of many elderly Turkmen, accusing foreign media outlets of spreading "deliberately perverted" information on the issue.[22]
In September 2006 he issued a new pay scale for Turkmen teachers, effective as of October 2006.[23]
In October 2006 the Niyazov administration said it released 10,056 prisoners, including 253 foreign nationals from 11 countries on the Night of Omnipotence. Niyazov said, "Let this humane act on the part of the state serve strengthening truly moral values of the Turkmen society. Let the entire world know that there has never been a place for evil and violence on the blessed Turkmen soil."[24]
The Turkmen leader changed the Turkmen word for bread, and name of the month of April, to that of his late mother, Gurbansoltan edzhe.[25]
Car radios were banned.[26]
Video monitors were required in all public places.[26]
Niyazov never liked dogs so dogs were banned from the capital.[27]

scphilli

Dead Turkmen!

Post by scphilli »

I actually agree with some of these decrees, particularly the one on video games.

jcarkeys

Dead Turkmen!

Post by jcarkeys »

chad wrote: Guys are we forgetting crazy Kim in [North] Korea...
Can you blame him, he's so ronery.

Charlie Dees

Dead Turkmen!

Post by Charlie Dees »

chad

Dead Turkmen!

Post by chad »

scphilli Posted on Dec 22 2006, 10:50 PM
You mean North Korea right? And I still like Turkmenbashi better because even though he was crazy, he was basically harmless...unless of course you lived there. In that case, you were kinda screwed

Yep, I meant North Korea, and if we are still talking about crazy dictators why not throw in pol pot? He was pretty Krazzey!!!!!!