Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

MAP Testing

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
carpenoctem63141

MAP Testing

Post by carpenoctem63141 »

So apparently after already subjecting us to 3 hours of ridiculously stupid math and science questions, (Seriously, I don't think design a cookie container even counts as a math question) the sophomores at my school have to take another math MAP test for "experimental purposes." :angry:

Seriously guys, I don't know if I'm proficient in math and science! These questions are all so difficult!

Jeez I hate MAP testing.

Charlie Dees

MAP Testing

Post by Charlie Dees »

MAP sucks. I'm glad this is my last year of it, and that they're phasing it out in a little while. Although I'm sure the next system will be complained about too.

ajax

MAP Testing

Post by ajax »

MAP is a waste of MO taxdollars. It has given a test the reason to run a curriculum.

STPickrell

MAP Testing

Post by STPickrell »

I assume MAP is some sort of end of year proficiency test.

Virginia SOL is either better or worse -- you have to pass them to graduate, you take some every year too, but rumor has it they have been watered down to the point where you have to try to fail it.

I don't mind the idea behind an end of year proficiency test but I wish there was some reciprocity involved between states. For example, you have students who pass an Regents' test in NY State for freshman type subjects having to re-take the Virginia tests their senior year.

As for experimental tests, giving an additional test to a number of disinterested students who have no stake in the matter isn't going to generate useful results.

As for teaching to the test, there are some schools where the test holds folks back and other schools where a test is really needed as many students had been graduating functionally illiterate.

scphilli

MAP Testing

Post by scphilli »

OK I'm having a bit of a block ... what was the name of the test that MAP replaced? That test was a friggin' joke.

LibertyMarie

MAP Testing

Post by LibertyMarie »

MMAT?

scphilli

MAP Testing

Post by scphilli »

THANK YOU!

LibertyMarie

MAP Testing

Post by LibertyMarie »

any time, any time. when did they switch it, anyhow? i remember doings MAP in 8th grade (spring 2001)...but i associate MMATs with, like, first grade...haha.

East Buc & UMR

MAP Testing

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I was in 7th grade when they switched

LibertyMarie

MAP Testing

Post by LibertyMarie »

okay, so I'm not so far off.