Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Funny things in Practice, etc.

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

What kind of funny things have happened in your practices or any other Academic Competition-related events?

One I remember is last year Kyle said "I try to avoid non-alcoholic beverages."

Also, last year we made the buzzer system reset when several people buzzed in at the same time...

Amanda: "Sickle-cell anemia!"
John [her boyfriend, from across the room]: "WHORE!"

mujason

Post by mujason »

We played a game against Texas A&M this year, one of the answers was Holidae In, and I said it like Chingy and Snoop did. It was the funniest moment of the tournament.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

:lol: :lol:
(remembers earlier comment)
:angry: :angry:

Crap goes down all the time at our practices. In imitation of my maps Greg drew one of how to get to Arkansas for sectionals. It included stops in Denver, Cleveland, Houston, Lagos, and about twenty other places across the globe.
Plus there's always the offbeat comment that throws everything off for five minutes, either from Maddog about Dr. Becker's class or a philosophical argument from jlive.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Yeah, stuff like that happens a lot. Speaking of philosophical arguments, there's an argument about why murder is wrong on the hsquizbowl.org board.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Has the "Voodoo Mickey Mouse Crap" returned?

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Most of the good stuff can not be repeated on here. You have to see me in person or if you can you should come up to driscoll this weekend and do thisImage

mujason

Post by mujason »

Sounds interesting. See you Saturday.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

"Whore" is a pretty common word in our practices. One of the greatest moments was when one of our team members laughed and threw up at the same time.

Some of the funnier answers we've given:

Q: What Washington monument has a half-size scale model traveling around the United States?
A: The Smithsonian (that was JayChamp, not realizing that a half-size Smithsonian would still be a square mile or more)

Q: What is the name of William Shakespeare's wife?
A: Mrs. Shakespeare

I can't think of any more right now, maybe tomorrow. We also make it a point to answer "Sue Bee" as often as possible, and also "Bob Vila"

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Last year the Varsity "don't know" answer was McCarthy, and JV's was Yom Kippur.

I know there are some pretty pathetic answers we've given. I know one time in practice I said "Laclede" instead of (John J.) "Pershing"... sometimes knowing too much can screw you up.

Another one:
Question: "Hippo is short for..." [buzz]
Ryan: "Hippopotamus?"

I don't remember what the rest of the question was but we had to have been playing Varsity questions (a negative thing about practices this year: we didn't have separate V/JV practices). What makes it funnier was at the NKC tournament that Saturday, he got a question right to which the answer was hippopotamus and we all started cracking up.

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

Kyle and Jeffrey!!!! How has this not been mentioned yet?!?

One time last year, I walked into practice a little late to see someone removing a shoe... the coaches were out of the room, and the team was engaging in Strip Scholar Bowl.

Oh, it was hilarious.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I think that lasted for only 20 minutes.

;)

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Oh yes... at the Savannah tournament during lunch there was a spider walking across the floor at Subway, and Michael wouldn't step on it, so we ended up learning all of his phobias, so while we were practicing on the bus, Ryan yelled "LOOK, a flying snake!" and he actually looked back! And Ryan has a fear of being buried alive.

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

well, yeah, Kyle, until the coaches showed up. heh.

and if you say to Ryan, "Look, a guy with a shovel!" he freaks out. ...even after i said that to him three or four times in one class period...

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

LibertyMarie wrote: and if you say to Ryan, "Look, a guy with a shovel!" he freaks out.  ...even after i said that to him three or four times in one class period...
Ryan [menacing look]: "That's not very funny..." it's virtually his trademark!

That was his response with the hippopotamus thing at NKC. Also, I think at the same practice he cussed out loud at least 3 times (mainly [darn]) and for the next week I called him Admiral Farragut.

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

his cursing doesn't compare to some of our seniors last year... and, no, everybody, i'm not talking about kyle. lol

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

And what about Camp catching Dane calling Michael an illegitimate child under his breath at practice on Monday? It's also funny when Dane accidentally buzzes in before the end of the question on a rebound and he backs away from the buzzer like it's haunted or something...