Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

GIT XV at WUSTL--November 13th, 2010

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
Charbroil

GIT XV at WUSTL--November 13th, 2010

Post by Charbroil »

Thank you very much to everyone who attended this event. Stats can be found here

The Washington University College Bowl Team will be hosting the fifteenth iteration of its Gateway Invitational Tournament on November 13th, 2010. It will be a mirror of the Delta Burke tournament edited by Chris Borglum.

I, Charles Hang, will be serving as the Tournament Director. To register for the tournament, or if you have any questions, please email us at washuqb@gmail.com.

Time

Tournament check-in will begin at 8:30 AM, morning announcements will be at 9:00, and play will begin at 9:15. The entire tournament (including awards and playoffs) should be over before 5:00. Each team will be guaranteed 8-9 games, and there will be finals as necessary to determine the champion.

The tournament will be taking place in Eads Hall (Building 32 on the map at http://www.wustl.edu/community/visitors ... rthmap.pdf). Parking is plentiful for the event, and any of the major parking lots on the map should be fine.

Registration

To register, please e-mail me at washuqb@gmail.com with the following information:

1/ The Number of teams you will be bringing
2/ The Number of buzzers you will be bringing
3/ The number of players you will have, as well as their names.
4/ The number of staff (moderators and scorekeepers) you will be bringing

All registrations must be received prior to the date of the tournament. Once you register, I will send out all necessary information. Please feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending.

Fee Structure

Base fee: $80 for first team, $70 for subsequent teams.
$10 off the base fee for schools per working buzzer system provided
$10 off the base fee for schools per competent staffer*
$5 off the base fee for schools for each 100 miles traveled (one way)
$20 off for teams with 2 or fewer players.
$20 off for teams made up of only high schoolers.

Minimum fee: $50 (unless your team has 2 or fewer players)

Showing up late without getting in touch with me: +$20 penalty.

*To be defined as an individual capable of either reading a 20 tossup, 20 bonus match in under 30 minutes or capable of scorekeeping such a match.

We are, of course, willing to make accommodations if a team has trouble paying and wishes to arrange a payment plan, etc. Checks should be made out to "Washington University Academic Team;" (Not "College Bowl") we can also take cash payments, but greatly prefer payment by check.

High School Staffing Discount

In addition to offering the above discounts for collegiate teams attending this event, we will also be offering a $10 discount to every high school player, coach, or anyone else involved with a high school who volunteers to staff our event, to be applied towards admissions fees for our high school tournament, the Washington University High School Academic Challenge (WUHSAC). We will also offer a $5 discount per 50 miles traveled, one way, for individuals affiliated with high schools traveling 50 or more miles to staff our tournament.

Also, volunteers who bring buzzer sets will be eligible for an additional $10 WUHSAC registration discount per buzzer. We will be offering two such discounts in total.

Eligibility

This tournament is open to all players and all teams (including those from more than one school). This is meant to be a novice tournament, however, so college teams with high caliber veteran players (you know who you are--and if you're not sure, ask me) are strongly recommended to have said players staff.

Questions

The tournament will be using the Delta Burke set, a set of accessible questions geared towards beginner players. For more information, please email Chris Borglum at CBorglum@valenciacc.edu

Field Update:

Registered
WUSTL 2+
Harding
Illinois
Truman
Gecko
Northwestern
Team Creative Pseudonym Here

Interested
UIC

I look forward to seeing you at Washington University on November 13th.
Last edited by Charbroil on Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ZhangC1459

Re: GIT XV at WUSTL--November 13th, 2010

Post by ZhangC1459 »

The Geckos would be.

I'm personally interested, but obviously I need to talk to Charlie before saying anything since I don't have final decision in what we do and don't go to.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

ZhangC1459 wrote:I'm personally interested, but obviously I need to talk to Charlie before saying anything since I don't have final decision in what we do and don't go to.
Neither does he. I'm the president. :) But for all practical purposes, he's sort of in charge of the college competition aspect of the club lol

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

I just wanted to remind interested parties that they should sign up for this. Also, high schoolers are welcome to come play on open teams and/or staff, so email us at washuqb@gmail.com if you're interested.

Acceleration

Post by Acceleration »

I'm looking for teammates if anyone is interested.

Machina

Post by Machina »

I don't think I can play this anymore, sadly. Tech week is starting up that same weekend for the fall musical. :(

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

People interested in staffing this should let us know at washuqb@gmail.com. Don't forget, if you're affiliated with a high school, your high school team gets $10 off on its WUHSAC entry fee.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Also, the announcement has been fully updated.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Northwestern cleared the field to win 10-0, with Illinois coming in 7-3. Here are the top scorers:

Top Scorers:

1/ Dylan Becraft, Gecko
2/ Dan Donohue, Northwestern
3/ Joel Muskin-Pierret, WUSTL A
4/ Caleb Robbins, Harding
5/ Jared McNett, Truman
6/ Billy Busse, WUSTL/Illinois (Illinois)
7/ Anant Shah, Northwestern
8/ Charles Martin, Illinois

By the way, our thanks to Illinois and Harding for their willingness to contribute players to our two hybrid teams in order to make numbers on those teams.