Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

MUT Mirror at Rock Bridge HS, Columbia, MO (4/30/2011)

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
Charlie Dees

MUT Mirror at Rock Bridge HS, Columbia, MO (4/30/2011)

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hello,

I am pleased to announce that I will be directing the Missouri-area mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament on April 30th, 2011. This tournament will be a low-difficulty college event written by the University of Minnesota quizbowl team.

Who is eligible to play this tournament?

Anyone who is considered undergraduate eligible by the rules of ACF is allowed to play in this event. Those rules from ACF are as follows -
For collegiate tournaments which recognize high-finishing teams and/or individuals of "undergraduate" status, an "undergraduate" player is a player who did not receive a BA or equivalent or higher degree prior to the academic year in which the tournament is taking place, and meets EITHER or BOTH of the following conditions:

11.1 The player graduated from high school in an academic year four or fewer years prior to the year in which the tournament is taking place

11.2 The player did not participate in any collegiate or open academic quizbowl tournaments before the fall semester of the academic year three years prior to the year in which the tournament is taking place.
All college students must play on the team representing a school they are enrolled in.

In addition to undergraduate college students, high schoolers are eligible to play this event. However, because of local high school eligibility rules preventing school teams from playing this sort of event, we will allow any high schoolers to make open teams together. Those open teams must have only high schoolers on them. If out of state high school teams wish to travel to this tournament, they will be able to play as their normal school team.

How much will this cost?

The base fee for this tournament will be $110 per team. Discounts for the following things will be offered:
$5 off for each buzzer a team brings
$10 for each staffer a team brings
$10 for ever 200 miles a team travels, one way, as determined by Google maps

The team at Rock Bridge will be running the tournament, so you will need to pay them.

Where will this tournament be held?

This tournament is being held at Rock Bridge High School, whose street address is -
4303 S Providence Rd.
Columbia, MO, 65203

Teams should meet in the Media Center to register around 8:30, and round 1 will begin at 9.

Do we have to write questions to play?

No. I have been told by Minnesota that they are planning on producing the set themselves.

How does a team register?

You can register by emailing me at CharlesDeesMOQBA@gmail.com, letting me know how many teams you are bringing, and what discounts you are planning on claiming.

Who is registered?

Open Team 1
Harding University
Kansas State University (1-2)
Missouri Valley
Oklahoma University
University of Missouri (1-2)
Washington University (1-2)

Hope to hear from your teams,

-Charles Dees, Tournament Director

bruins4life

Re: MUT Mirror at Rock Bridge HS, Columbia, MO (4/30/2011)

Post by bruins4life »

MUT Mirror at Rock Bridge High School on April 30th, 2011

Hello,
I am pleased to announce that I will be directing the Missouri-area mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament on April 30th, 2011. This tournament will be a low-difficulty college event written by the University of Minnesota quizbowl team.

How much will this cost?

$110 is the base fee per team. Discounts for the following things will be offered:
$5 off for each buzzer a team brings
$10 for each staffer a team brings
$10 for every 200 miles a team travels, one way, as determined by Google maps

$_____________ Total
The team at Rock Bridge will be running the tournament, so you write checks to: Rock Bridge Scholar Bowl.

Where will this tournament be held?
This tournament is being held at Rock Bridge High School, whose street address is -
4303 S Providence Rd.
Columbia, MO, 65203
Teams should meet in the Media Center to register around 8:30, and round 1 will begin at 9.

Who is eligible to play this tournament?
Anyone who is considered undergraduate eligible by the rules of ACF is allowed to play in this event. Those rules from ACF are as follows -
Quote:
For collegiate tournaments which recognize high-finishing teams and/or individuals of "undergraduate" status, an "undergraduate" player is a player who did not receive a BA or equivalent or higher degree prior to the academic year in which the tournament is taking place, and meets EITHER or BOTH of the following conditions:

11.1 The player graduated from high school in an academic year four or fewer years prior to the year in which the tournament is taking place

11.2 The player did not participate in any collegiate or open academic quizbowl tournaments before the fall semester of the academic year three years prior to the year in which the tournament is taking place.

All college students must play on the team representing a school they are enrolled in.

In addition to undergraduate college students, high schoolers are eligible to play this event. However, because of local high school eligibility rules preventing school teams from playing this sort of event, we will allow any high schoolers to make open teams together. Those open teams must have only high schoolers on them. If out of state high school teams wish to travel to this tournament, they will be able to play as their normal school team.

Do we have to write questions to play?

No. I have been told by Minnesota that they are planning on producing the set themselves.

How does a team register?

You can register by emailing me at CharlesDeesMOQBA@gmail.com, letting me know how many teams you are bringing, and what discounts you are planning on claiming.

If you have any questions on directions on the day of the tournament, please call Greg Irwin with the phone # that you have received from Charlie.
Last edited by bruins4life on Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

Above is the official invoice. Message me if you have any further questions.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Congratulations to Battle Hymn of the Tamil Tiger Mother, an open team of high schoolers, who came back from a disadvantage to win 2 games in a row in the final against the other open team If you put the "sailor scale" thing in one more time, you'll be banned. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves today!

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

This tournament was quite fun; all my Tamil Tiger Mother brethren loved it! Can more college tournaments in the area utilize this "open" loophole in the future?

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Mewto55555 wrote:This tournament was quite fun; all my Tamil Tiger Mother brethren loved it! Can more college tournaments in the area utilize this "open" loophole in the future?
This isn't the first time it's been used--we've had open high school teams at WUSTL tournaments before as well. You're more than welcome to join us at our events in the future.

dtaylor

Post by dtaylor »

Mewto55555 wrote:This tournament was quite fun; all my Tamil Tiger Mother brethren loved it! Can more college tournaments in the area utilize this "open" loophole in the future?
A number of TDs have allowed teams to compete under pseudonyms due to school affiliation concerns.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Congratulations to Battle Hymn of the Tamil Tiger Mother, an open team of high schoolers, who came back from a disadvantage to win 2 games in a row in the final against the other open team If you put the "sailor scale" thing in one more time, you'll be banned. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves today!
Two teams of high-school kids prevail over established college teams. You have really done it now, Charles & crew.