Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Gateway Invitational Tournament at WUSTL (11/12/11)

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
FishyFreshman

Gateway Invitational Tournament at WUSTL (11/12/11)

Post by FishyFreshman »

The Washington University Academic Team will be hosting the fifteenth iteration of its Gateway Invitational Tournament on November 12th, 2010. It will be a mirror of the Delta Burke tournament written by Valencia College.

I, Spencer, will be serving as the Tournament Director. To register for the tournament, or if you have any questions, please email us at washuqb@gmail.com.

Time

Tournament check-in will begin at 8:30 AM, morning announcements will be at 9:00, and play will begin at 9:15. The entire tournament (including awards and playoffs) should be over before 5:00. Each team will be guaranteed 8-9 games, and there will be finals as necessary to determine the champion.

TBA

Registration

To register, please e-mail me at washuqb@gmail.com with the following information:

1/ The Number of teams you will be bringing
2/ The Number of buzzers you will be bringing
3/ The number of players you will have, as well as their names.
4/ The number of staff (moderators and scorekeepers) you will be bringing

All registrations must be received prior to the date of the tournament. Once you register, I will send out all necessary information. Please feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending.

Fee Structure

Base fee: $80 for first team, $70 for subsequent teams.
$10 off the base fee for schools per working buzzer system provided
$10 off the base fee for schools per competent staffer*
$5 off the base fee for schools for each 100 miles traveled (one way)
$20 off for teams with 2 or fewer players.
$20 off for teams made up of only high schoolers.
$40 off for self funded teams

Minimum fee: $20

Showing up late without getting in touch with me: +$20 penalty.

*To be defined as an individual capable of either reading a 20 tossup, 20 bonus match in under 30 minutes or capable of scorekeeping such a match.

We are, of course, willing to make accommodations if a team has trouble paying and wishes to arrange a payment plan, etc. Checks should be made out to "Washington University Academic Team;" (Not "College Bowl") we can also take cash payments, but greatly prefer payment by check.

High School Staffing Discount

In addition to offering the above discounts for collegiate teams attending this event, we will also be offering a $10 discount to every high school player, coach, or anyone else involved with a high school who volunteers to staff our event, to be applied towards admissions fees for our high school tournament, the Washington University High School Academic Challenge (WUHSAC). We will also offer a $5 discount per 50 miles traveled, one way, for individuals affiliated with high schools traveling 50 or more miles to staff our tournament.

Also, volunteers who bring buzzer sets will be eligible for an additional $10 WUHSAC registration discount per buzzer. We will be offering two such discounts in total.

Eligibility

This tournament is open to all players and all teams (including those from more than one school). This is meant to be a novice tournament, however, so college teams with high caliber veteran players (you know who you are--and if you're not sure, ask me) are strongly recommended to have said players staff.

Questions

The tournament will be using the Delta Burke set, a set of accessible questions geared towards beginner players.

I look forward to seeing you at Washington University on November 12th.

FishyFreshman

Re: Gateway Invitational Tournament at WUSTL (11/12/11)

Post by FishyFreshman »

Field Update

Harding 1-2 teams
Illinois 2(+) teams

FishyFreshman

Re: Gateway Invitational Tournament at WUSTL (11/12/11)

Post by FishyFreshman »

Congratulations to Illinois A, who took the tournament clearing the field twice in a double round robin.

Results can be found here (teams)
http://young-frankenstein.wustl.edu/sta ... amentid=10

And here (individuals)
http://young-frankenstein.wustl.edu/ind ... amentid=10