Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

complaint against firefox

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
libertymark

Post by libertymark »

so i opened firefox and it said it updated though i didn't tell it to update (maybe i set it to automatically update and install on the next restart) and it deleted all my bookmarks. im not too happy about since know i have to find all my bookmarks again.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Yeah, that's happened to me before.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Ouch... that will be a big complaint by all...

I don't use Firefox as my primary browser on my Mac but let me open it up on my laptop and see if it gets rid of the 2 or 3 bookmarks I have.

Don't know how this works, but in C:\documents and settings\[your account]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[probably the only one there]\ there's a bookmarkbackups folder. It seems to be an HTML file with links to all your bookmarks up to a certain date but I don't see an XML, DAT, or any other file that stores bookmarks (I haven't really looked much further though).

edit
Apparently, according to this page if you do "File-Import" in Firefox's bookmark manager and give it one of those files it will import them. (The HTML source seems to be a bunch of encrypted junk... weird)

I have 1.5.0.7 and it's not finding any updates. Did you recently get upgraded to 2.0? (Wait, it's apparently still a RC preview; I thought I read it was officially released)

jcarkeys

Post by jcarkeys »

libertymark wrote: so i opened firefox and it said it updated though i didn't tell it to update (maybe i set it to automatically update and install on the next restart) and it deleted all my bookmarks. im not too happy about since know i have to find all my bookmarks again.
Hmm... I manually updated to 2.0 (it didn't come up automatically) and didn't do that. What Jeff says is the truth though, it works well.

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

Anyone updated to IE 7 yet? It's pretty awesome.

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

thats available now, sweet i used it on vista when i had that and it was awesome

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

libertymark wrote: so i opened firefox and it said it updated though i didn't tell it to update (maybe i set it to automatically update and install on the next restart) and it deleted all my bookmarks. im not too happy about since know i have to find all my bookmarks again.
apparently this happens only to some people, no one knows why it doesn't do it to everyone, something to do with extensions probably. there is an article on digg about it.

jcarkeys

Post by jcarkeys »

STPickrell wrote: Anyone updated to IE 7 yet? It's pretty awesome.
Yes, it's good for IE7. (delta)IE >> (delta)Firefox, but Firefox>IE.

Of course, there're already holes in IE7, but it's still a considerable improvement over IE6. I really like the interface, except for some sizing issues (tabs seem too big, I don't need a button to make new tabs, etc) but on the whole, it's good. Standards compliance, on the other hand...

At least IE7 is a viable alternative.

As to other Microsoft products:
WMP11 is very nice. I hardly ever use it (I prefer the minimalist Winamp), but when I do, it's a wonderful program.
Vista RC2. My first play with Longhorn and I'm overwhelmed to be honest. Unfortunately, the awe comes strictly from a GUI interface. It's gorgeous and I love the feel. It takes the visuals and the gadget/widget bar from OSX, and it takes a lot of GUI organization from KDE. It's very well done, except for some well known screwups in wizard interface (the back button not next to the next button). I'm not using it regularly, granted, but it really doesn't seem like much more than a facelift. The visual tweaks are great, but on a whole it doesn't seem any different. The DRM and other crap with it sucks, so I'll stick with XP for a while to come (not that I would early adopt with a Windows OS, LOL!). If you want more details about RC2, I'd happily oblige, just lemme know. There was a link on Microsoft's page to download RC2, but I dunno where it went. I'd be willing to bet it's still on BitTorrent though...

Baron Samedi

Post by Baron Samedi »

libertymark wrote:
libertymark wrote: so i opened firefox and it said it updated though i didn't tell it to update (maybe i set it to automatically update and install on the next restart) and it deleted all my bookmarks.  im not too happy about since know i have to find all my bookmarks again.
apparently this happens only to some people, no one knows why it doesn't do it to everyone, something to do with extensions probably. there is an article on digg about it.
its good to know someone else around here uses digg

:P