Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

UMR classes cancelled

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
DeckardCain

UMR classes cancelled

Post by DeckardCain »

MEDIA ADVISORY: CLASSES CANCELLED DUE TO POWER OUTAGE

ROLLA, Mo. -- Classes at the University of Missouri-Rolla have been cancelled for Monday (Nov. 13, 2006) due to a power outage affecting most of the buildings on campus.

The outage occurred at approximately 7 p.m. Sunday due to a malfunction in the main transformer on campus.

UMR crews must install new fuses in the transformer before power can be restored. Those fuses will be shipped from the Chicago area today and are not expected to arrive before tonight. Therefore, power may not be restored until Tuesday morning.

The outage affects all campus buildings except for the UMR residence halls, the Gale Bullman Multi-Purpose Building and Student Recreation Center, the Bureau of Mines Building, the Campus Support Facility and the Student Health Center.

For updates, students should tune in to local radio stations and check their UMR email accounts and the UMR website (www.umr.edu). Students also may check the front desk of Thomas Jefferson Residence Hall for updates.

Students who usually dine at the Havener Center may dine at the Thomas Jefferson Residence Hall cafeteria until power is restored to Havener.

UMR staff should follow their regular work schedules during this outage. Staff may take vacation time if authorized by their supervisor. Staff also should report for duty on Tuesday unless otherwise notified.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

UMR classes cancelled

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

And I was actually awake this morning... for once

East Buc & UMR

UMR classes cancelled

Post by East Buc & UMR »

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111one

Charlie Dees

UMR classes cancelled

Post by Charlie Dees »

Lucky. I was so tired I tried to fake sick this morning.

DeckardCain

UMR classes cancelled

Post by DeckardCain »

And I had two tests this morning... shucky darn.

mujason

UMR classes cancelled

Post by mujason »

It's ironic that a school full of engineers keeps having power failures.

DeckardCain

UMR classes cancelled

Post by DeckardCain »

mujason wrote: It's ironic that a school full of engineers keeps having power failures.
Isn't it? I was just wondering the same thing - seems that Missouri's premier technological university needs to get back to the basics.

libertymark

UMR classes cancelled

Post by libertymark »

do you think we will have classes tomorrow morning?

DeckardCain

UMR classes cancelled

Post by DeckardCain »

I have no idea.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

UMR classes cancelled

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

When we came back from Applebee's around 7, power was on in Havener and McNutt as we passed through the University Drive stoplight but by the time we parked in S lot and walked back into the RC they were off again and haven't been back on... well, now McNutt and the lights around it are on but Havener still looks dark. Looking like few to no cancellations tomorrow unless the outage causes some unforeseen technical problems

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

UMR classes cancelled

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

mujason wrote: It's ironic that a school full of engineers keeps having power failures.
Image Image Image

If the power went out here, we'd probably be forced to attend classes anyway! Heck, we're in a 3 credit-hour class for 48 hours when the state minimum is 45 hours.

LibertyMarie

UMR classes cancelled

Post by LibertyMarie »

we had a significant power outage once last year................(maybe an hour or two)
i didn't have any classes at that time, though, so idk. it was probably like....up to each teacher. i was definitely working the entire time, though. trekked down to the science building to type and print some stuff because they had power, only to discover that the entire internet connection is down...it was good fun.

we had a several-minutes one one other time. i was in stats, the belarussian teacher. lights go out, overhead goes out, and you hear through a thick belarussian accent: "russian attack! prepare for nuclear war!"
it was amazing.

Jeffrey Hill

UMR classes cancelled

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

McNutt is out again... I wonder what they're doing...

DeckardCain

UMR classes cancelled

Post by DeckardCain »

ScoBo1987 wrote: McNutt is out again... I wonder what they're doing...
its a mystery lol

Jeffrey Hill

UMR classes cancelled

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Looks like everything is back on now