Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Superstitions?

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
MissCae

Superstitions?

Post by MissCae »

Do any of you have superstitions about games? Like sitting on a certain side of the room or saying certain things? Just curious.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Superstitions?

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

For two years I thought our new logo was a curse - after we won a game, we'd lose the next one, and then so on. Jones wasn't thrilled with this theory and dubbed it "Voodoo Mickey Mouse Crap." The term has applied to anything remotely superstitious since.

Then there was the lucky bobby pin that got lost somewhere after Cuba's 2000 JV tournament was cancelled. And then lucky pen after lucky pen...

LibertyMarie

Superstitions?

Post by LibertyMarie »

for our first couple of jv tournaments this season, ryan wore a hat, but as it's against mshsaa rules to wear a hat while in play or something, i always ended up wearing it during games... he started calling it his lucky hat... exciting, huh.

MissCae

Superstitions?

Post by MissCae »

My senior year I got very superstitious, I guess it was because we were doing really well. I would always wear the same thing to each tournament, which is not that unusual. I always took my donkey stuffed animal, Lefty, which is an inside joke and symbol of my political ideals, to each tournament. By the end of the year, I started favoring sides of the room, usually the left. I remember practically racing to the left table for our championship match at state. And I made sure I was always modest about our success, because I thought cockiness would cause bad luck. So call me crazy, but that was one of the best seasons Savannah's ever had.

DeckardCain

Superstitions?

Post by DeckardCain »

Usually if we lost, we would switch to the other side of the room for the next game. I also insisted on working on quick math problems the night before the tournaments.

Cap'nHook(er)

Superstitions?

Post by Cap'nHook(er) »

We don't have any real superstitions, but there has been a few unmentionable items that used to be brought to every meet. Unfortunately Jared really messed one of them up, so we stopped bringing all of them (there were about 3 items that we had). I miss the Sphere and the Ball.

East Buc & UMR

Superstitions?

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I try to get the least amount of sleep as possible.

MissCae

Superstitions?

Post by MissCae »

Really, the least amount of sleep possible? I always tried to get as much as possible, but there was one tournament my sophomore year, Chillicothe, I think, when I played on 4 hours sleep. I had a debate tournament the night before, got home at midnight, and got up at 4 AM to go to the tournament. I almost fell asleep at the buzzer, the moderator said, "What is . . ." and I rang in as I nodded off. Needless to say I got subbed out.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Superstitions?

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Odd... I fell asleep the first time I played Savannah.

Jones might have considered my apparel selection bordering superstitious. I always wore either blue or green colored underwear, a Jays t-shirt (usually either the state champs baseball or STUCO shirt), black Dockers, my blue Liberty sweatshirt, black socks, and my marching band shoes. (You might be able to see the brand name "Speedsters" on the tongue of my shoes in the state photo hanging up by the gym!

:D ) I keep that trend up (substitute Liberty for Truman State) for college bowl and when I'm helping out at tourneys.

And for more "Voodoo Mickey Mouse Crap," I started wearing band shoes after we won LSN's tourney the same day I could have been slaving away with the band in CMSU's homecoming parade.

sapientia

Superstitions?

Post by sapientia »

<span style="font-family:Geneva"><span style="color:green">*shrug* show up?? never was much of a wake-up-at-4-am to get on the quiz bowl van kinda person. though we did really really well the two times i got pulled over in my late-as-usual rush to get to the van on time. talked my way out of both tickets, too.

B) </span>

jmatthew

Superstitions?

Post by jmatthew »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: Odd... I fell asleep the first time I played Savannah.

Jones might have considered my apparel selection bordering superstitious. I always wore either blue or green colored underwear, a Jays t-shirt (usually either the state champs baseball or STUCO shirt), black Dockers, my blue Liberty sweatshirt, black socks, and my marching band shoes. (You might be able to see the brand name "Speedsters" on the tongue of my shoes in the state photo hanging up by the gym!

:D ) I keep that trend up (substitute Liberty for Truman State) for college bowl and when I'm helping out at tourneys.

And for more "Voodoo Mickey Mouse Crap," I started wearing band shoes after we won LSN's tourney the same day I could have been slaving away with the band in CMSU's homecoming parade.
Too much info.

jmatthew

Superstitions?

Post by jmatthew »

East Buc & UMR wrote: I try to get the least amount of sleep as possible.
I never tried to get the least amount of sleep possible, but I probably never got more than 4 hours of sleep before a tournament. I had severe insomnia in high school. I even confounded a doctor when I did a sleep study whose only recommendation was that I try melatonin It turns out that I didn't produce enough melatonin. I sleep fine with 1g of melatonin. This probably explains why I am posting this late as a I don't have class on Sat. and just took melatonin. Melatonin is produced by the brain from sun exposure.

I remember the Arkansas and Northside tournaments in fall of 2000. I think those were my best tournaments and I got the least, if any, sleep before those.

jmatthew

Superstitions?

Post by jmatthew »

I had a superstition that was just a habit at first. I used to fidget my right leg. When I saw Andy Wehrman do it, it became a superstition.

FordATeam/CC

Superstitions?

Post by FordATeam/CC »

I competed before MHSHAA put together an actual state championship. I participated in the Geography Bowl competition at Missouri State (which we won a couple times I believe), and the Drury Scholars Challenge (which we also won a couple times; once while I was a starter). It was so big that the championship was actually shown on the public television station out of Springfield. I always had a few good luck charms that I would sit on the desk during competition. However, I think our success had more to do with our two upperclassmen leaders (Alvin Richardson and Raymond Eiche). Raymond was actually a member of Rice's college academic team and made an appearance on Jeopardy. I think he did well, but I can't remember for sure.

FordATeam/CC

Superstitions?

Post by FordATeam/CC »

As a coach, I now have a lucky shirt that I wear to competition. I've worn it since our first conference or district championship I believe.

Our bigger good luck charm though is my OU cap. At districts two seasons ago we were only up by a score of 130 to 100 in the semifinal at halftime and we were a little rattled. We had won our previous two matches 340 to 105 and 505 to 110 after a close win against our conference rivals that we would again meet in the championship match. At that point, one of my sophomores noticed that my ballcap that I always wear was sitting on the desk instead of the floor, as I had put it in our other matches. She instantly grabbed it and THREW it on the ground. We outscored our opponents 130 to 0 in the second half. Ever since then it has become a habit to take the cap and throw it down before the match. Needless to say, it has taken a few opponents by surprise.

The one meet that I forgot the cap since then was last year's state match. We got smashed in the first round. Our near upset of Richland almost got us back in, but not quite. I now have a new cap, but I am sure the old one will be brought back if it looks to be "needed".

chad

Superstitions?

Post by chad »

FordATeam/CC Posted on Dec 2 2006, 02:02 P.M.
The one meet that I forgot the cap since then was last year's state match. We got smashed in the first round. Our near upset of Richland almost got us back in, but not quite. I now have a new cap, but I am sure the old one will be brought back if it looks to be "needed".
I have noticed your new cap, it is pretty spiffy. Hopefulley we will not need to bring back old faithful but I would still like to see it at the matches.