Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Who is everybody?

READ THESE THREADS FIRST: Official announcements from board staff can be found here.
AShoaib

Who is everybody?

Post by AShoaib »

[delete]

BeholdIndecision

Who is everybody?

Post by BeholdIndecision »

Oh, harsh.
That's terribly unfortunate.

Fresh Prince of Bradleyville

Who is everybody?

Post by Fresh Prince of Bradleyville »

Hey everyone,

My name is Colten Ross, I currently attend Bradleyville High School (class of 2009), and am the current captain of the school's varsity quiz bowl team. I have been viewing scholar/quiz bowl boards like this one and hsquizbowl.org on a constant basis for the past two years. I am currently undecided on where I am going to college. but want to go to Mizzou. My hobbies include reading (current craze on anything Orwell), playing XBOX 360, and being the last person on Earth to cheer on the St. Louis Rams. (This is especially difficult when you live in the middle of Kansas City Chiefs country.)

socalcaptain

Who is everybody?

Post by socalcaptain »

Not to influence you in any way...

COME TO MIZZOU.

That's it.

redliberte

Who is everybody?

Post by redliberte »

the last ramsfan wrote:being the last person on Earth to cheer on the St. Louis Rams. (This is especially difficult when you live in the middle of Kansas City Chiefs country.)
Hey, it's not like the Chiefs provide a whole lot to cheer about either.

Fresh Prince of Bradleyville

Who is everybody?

Post by Fresh Prince of Bradleyville »

Yeah, when I wrote that we got a lucky fluke win in beating Washington. Now were 2-5, 2nd in the NFC West. We've got a shot!... If all the other teams in the NFC came down with a sudden case of the injury bug, and they didn't have a decent practice team.

WillHack

Who is everybody?

Post by WillHack »

My name is Will Hack. I go to Parkway Central. When it's not Ac Team season, I play in the band & jazz band, play football (it was a bad year), act on the Central improv team (Flyspace), and am a member of the Harry Potter Club. Which is the best club ever.

Sadly, I did not know there were Missouri academic team forums (foros? fora? idk) until yesterday. . . .

azahid

Who is everybody?

Post by azahid »

ammar zahid
parkway central high school class of 2010
varsity team
one of the captains?
i know will hack. [see above]

MJones

Who is everybody?

Post by MJones »

My name is Mike Jones, a senior (2009) at Dixon High School and captain of our Academic Team. I will be attending Missouri State next year to major in Electronic Arts with and option in Audio Studies. My hobbies almost always revolve around school activities; Band, Jazz Band and Drama. I like to read, hang out with friends and play video games. I also enjoy working; I work at the new GameStop in Rolla.

Our team went to state two years ago led by our captain Kaleb Sellers. We rebuilt our team last year and hope to be competitive this year.

I just found this board today, and hope to have fun talking with all of you great people. :p

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Who is everybody?

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I have moved the discussion going on in here to this thread on the Miscellaneous board.

ZhangC1459

Who is everybody?

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Way to revive a dead thread, but yeah. Necroposting for the win.

Chris Zhang, from Parkway Central High...
Class of 2010
I know Ammar and Will.

Jason Loy

Who is everybody?

Post by Jason Loy »

I'm Jason Loy. I went to high school at Cutter Morning Star in Hot Springs, Arkansas and played quiz bowl there from 2001 to 2004. I then played at Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas from 2004 to 2008 while majoring in math and Spanish. I'm now in grad school for math at Missouri State and run the team here.

Machina

Who is everybody?

Post by Machina »

Hey guys! I'm Sabrina Fritz, Class of 2011 at Villa Duchesne. We've got a small, developing team right now (this year was only our 2nd year competing). Hopefully next year, we can play in more competitions across the state. This year, we only did World Quest (we incorporated that into our Quiz Bowl team), WUHSAC, the Rolla qualifiers (which I missed, sadly. I wish I could have been there.), districts at Westminster (we got knocked out in the semis by Ladue. We held them to 500!!), and a few other assorted tournaments at DeSmet, Hancock, etc. I'm going to MSA this summer, and I'm super excited for the quiz bowl tournament there!

PHSouth

Who is everybody?

Post by PHSouth »

I'm Sam Parrilla from Park Hill South High School , class of '11.

I enjoy answering all sorts of questions, but if I had to choose one topic it'd be music.

Outside of Academic Competitions, I enjoy playing in the band (french horn), playing in the jazz band (piano), reading, and doing crosswords!

Blawkins

Who is everybody?

Post by Blawkins »

I am Blake Hawkins from Truman High School. I just finished sophomore year and was on the JV A Team. I plan to continue through high school and help Truman continue its success. I play tenor sax in marching band and oboe in symphonic band.

Savannahian

Who is everybody?

Post by Savannahian »

Bubba

Who is everybody?

Post by Bubba »

Hello!

My name is Anthony Ross. I'm a member of the Truman High School Scholar Bowl Team. I am also a membeir of the band at Truman and I play the Trumpet in the marching band, pep band, symphonic band, and in the pit for the musical every year.

For the past two years I was the captain on the JV B team and am thinking that since people like Michael and Dakota that have graduated the JV A team will be the varsity and I should be on the A team this year. I enjoy playing scholars and I know my school has done "well" in the past couple of years and I hope to extend that run for at least the next 2 years.

I am a devout catholic and plan to be a priest like my uncle after high school. So needless to say I am the religion guy on the team.

joshua.bonnett

Who is everybody?

Post by joshua.bonnett »

I am senior at Benton High School Saint Joseph (2010). I am the captain of the Varsity Quiz Bowl team. I am not sure where I am going to college at. I am going to be a history teacher and hopefully coach quiz bowl or write questions. My main subjects are History and Lit.

PCreedon

Re: Who is everybody?

Post by PCreedon »

Hello! I'm Patrick Creedon, but I really have no preference to what you call me.
I'm a member of the Class of 2010 at St. Louis University High School. This is my second year captaining Varsity Quiz Bowl, and we've done fairly well over the past year and a half: second place in 2009 districts, 3rd at a Mizzou tournament, and second at the most recent Hancock tournament.
At school I'm involved with (outside of Quiz Bowl) the Russian Club, the Anime Club (which I am president of), Gadfly (a cultural magazine and educational television program), and Stage Crew (in which I do scene painting, basic carpentry, and basic costuming).
I enjoy learning stuff, as I'm sure you all do. I like ingesting culture and media.
I like learning languages. I know enough Russian to be able to order food at a McDonalds in St. Petersburg without grunting or pointing. I have a basic grasp of the concepts of Esperanto, which I learned in a fit of sleep-deprived madness.
I hope to go to Wash U, but if the whole scholarship thing there does not work out, I'll go to the University of Tulsa.
I intend to major in Russian and then something useful.

That was pretty long. Sorry to anybody who actually read all of that.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

PCreedon wrote: I like learning languages. I know enough Russian to be able to order food at a McDonalds in St. Petersburg without grunting or pointing. I have a basic grasp of the concepts of Esperanto, which I learned in a fit of sleep-deprived madness.
Ooh Esperanto!! I'm a linguistics major, and I'm really interested in constructed languages.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

PCreedon wrote:I like learning languages. I know enough Russian to be able to order food at a McDonalds in St. Petersburg without grunting or pointing.
Preeviet, comrade! :D

I love Russian. I took two semesters of it in college and did private lessons a few years ago. Now I barely remember any of it! Russian is fun and not nearly as hard as most Americans think it is. :wink:

PCreedon

Post by PCreedon »

socalcaptain wrote:
Ooh Esperanto!! I'm a linguistics major, and I'm really interested in constructed languages.
Awesome! I'd actually set out to learn Lojban (derivative of Loglan) but realized that it would be more "practical" to learn a language with a larger population of speakers. Plus, I would have the privilege of staying with a random speaker for free with the Esperantist Passport program if I were to travel the world in that manner.
PenforPrez wrote:[
I love Russian. I took two semesters of it in college and did private lessons a few years ago. Now I barely remember any of it! Russian is fun and not nearly as hard as most Americans think it is. :wink:
I wholeheartedly agree. Once one gets past the whole alphabet barrier, the language is quite easy, as it is made up of a large number of patterns. Other than irregular conjugations and declinations, the only difficult parts of learning Russian from a non-scientific point of view are verb aspects and verbs of motion.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

My name is Ryan Kennedy. I am the coach at Centralia High School, home of the Panthers. Our best finish (with me as coach) was in 2008 (6th in State, thanks to Lou freakin' Gehrig).

I'm a Mizzou Graduate, BS (05) and MA (08) in English Education. High School alma mater is North Callaway.

Fun facts: I own and frequently use my Nintendo Satellite. I've never read the Scarlet Letter. I shook hands with Henry Rollins, annoyed the lead singer of Everclear, and apparently saw Marilyn Manson defecate in a cup.

Edited for accuracy. Our school finished fourth the season before I took over, and once upon a time, in 1985, our school was 2nd in the nation
Last edited by CentraliaCoach on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

CentraliaCoach wrote:My name is Ryan Kennedy. I am the coach at Centralia High School, home of the Panthers. Our best finish was in 2008 (6th in State, thanks to Lou freakin' Gehrig).

I'm a Mizzou Graduate, BS (05) and MA (08) in English Education. High School alma mater is North Callaway.

Fun facts: I own and frequently use my Nintendo Satellite. I've never read the Scarlet Letter. I shook hands with Henry Rollins, annoyed the lead singer of Everclear, and apparently saw Marilyn Manson defecate in a cup.
Welcome! :) Please feel free to jump in anywhere anytime. We're good people around here. :D

By the way, I have read The Scarlet Letter, and I didn't care for it. :|

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

I liked it.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yeah, The Scarlet Letter deserves all the accolades it gets.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Yeah, The Scarlet Letter deserves all the accolades it gets.
Absolutely; it's a classic of American literature. It just wasn't a book I enjoyed reading.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Welcome, Ryan! Glad to see another mid-MO person around here!

I graduated from South Callaway in '08 and I'm currently at Mizzou.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

PenforPrez wrote:Absolutely; it's a classic of American literature. It just wasn't a book I enjoyed reading.
Just to clarify: not putting the book down at all, nor did I make the conscious decision not to read it, it's just that somehow, in all my years of schooling, and now as an English teacher (with a propensity for run-on sentences), it just never happened. I'm a bit of a fluke.

Alex, I remember you playing at the WWU tournament, and I think you were in the room when Hallsville beat us at State in 2008. Greetings!

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Yep, that was me! :)

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

CentraliaCoach wrote:
PenforPrez wrote:Absolutely; it's a classic of American literature. It just wasn't a book I enjoyed reading.
Just to clarify: not putting the book down at all, nor did I make the conscious decision not to read it, it's just that somehow, in all my years of schooling, and now as an English teacher (with a propensity for run-on sentences), it just never happened. I'm a bit of a fluke.
I'm the same way with Kurt Vonnegut. I've always been fascinated by who he was personally (R.I.P.) but I've just never read any of his work very much on accident.

Keith Moon

Post by Keith Moon »

Guess, I should post here, being the newest member. This is Nick Rupel, of the Parkway Central Academic Challenge team. Hope to be getting to know you all!

octo

Post by octo »

This is Sam Haynes of Jefferson City High. It's my first year doing quiz bowl, and I'm really enjoying it.

WilliamofOrange

Post by WilliamofOrange »

Hi everyone!

I'm Will Alexander, from Eureka high school, and right now I play for Eureka's team. Next year, I'ma be a senior (class of 2011, woo!) Ideally, I'd like to attend Harvey Mudd or Caltech after I graduate, studying applied mathematics or engineering or whatnot. Something to do with math would be wonderful!
For the future, I'd love to be a disney imagineer, but since those aren't really in high demand, I haven't a clue. It'll certainly be fun to find out though.
For hobbies, I play the piano and guitar as well as rockband drums, and I also enjoy biking, learning new things, kayaking, eating, being in warm places, and failing at beat boxing.

Machina

Post by Machina »

WILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

HI!!!!

:D

Welcome to the forum!!!

Cquinn

Post by Cquinn »

Hi, my name is Claire. I was on the scholar bowl team at Park Hill South. Graduated last year. Attending UCM, planning on starting a team here with Dakota. Wait and see what happes :) Any advice would be much apperciated.

bt_green_warbler

Post by bt_green_warbler »

Hello, all. Jeff Hoppes here from Berkeley Quiz Bowl. I'm vice-president of communication at NAQT, and I've just posted an important announcement about the 2010-11 MSHSAA state series.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Hello, all. Jeff Hoppes here from Berkeley Quiz Bowl. I'm vice-president of communication at NAQT, and I've just posted an important announcement about the 2010-11 MSHSAA state series.
Howdy Jeff! *waves hello* :)

Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

[deleted]
Last edited by Moonbeam on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtaylor

Post by dtaylor »

Hooooooooooowdy ho!

I'm Donald Taylor.

I'm the treasurer of PACE, and play a number of roles with regards to our national tournament, the National Scholastics Championship (NSC). An questions about it can be directed at me.

I'm also seasoned in the use of SQBS, and have authored or co-authored a couple of guides on the subject.

FordATeamC

Post by FordATeamC »

Coach Patrick Bertoldie
Fordland Scholar Bowl Coach

Switched e-mail accounts a couple years back, so I haven't posted in a while. I was formerly FordATeam/CC, so thought I'd just make a small adjustment in name. I hope not to spend as much time posting as before (I've been spending more time on the preparing for competitions), but I'm also wanting to help with communication in small schools (It looks like almost all of it has been large school in the last few years since I've stopped posting).

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I'm Jacob O'Rourke.

I graduated from Pacific High School in 2010 (Just outside of western St. Louis County). I go to Truman State right now, and right now I'm going for a BS in History and a BA in Theatre. Right now I'm thinking of being a teacher and maybe an academic team coach or trying stage acting in Chicago.

Hobbies: Reading (mainly historical works, although I do like some classical and new novels), sports (any really, though it's mainly baseball), and I also see movies (definitely NOT the Last Song or P.S. I Love You-more West Side Story, FMJ, Apocalypse Now kind of stuff).

EDIT: Wow, this is old. So yeah, I changed to a History and Pre-Education major, and my plan right now is to teach history and coach quiz bowl wherever I get hired.
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Papa's in the House

Post by Papa's in the House »

My name is Charles Martin Jr. I'm attending the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and will be graduating in August 2011 with BS degrees in Accountancy and Finance and May 2012 with a Master's in Accounting. I'm serving as President of the Academic Buzzer Team at UIUC, so I'll be posting on these boards about tournaments we're hosting and ones we're interested in attending. I spend most of my time in class, at work, or doing something related to quiz bowl. I essentially spend what little time remains left watching and collecting TV shows and movies.

deweydandelion5

Post by deweydandelion5 »

I've been a member for a little bit already (I don't remember when I joined), but I haven't posted anything so I might as well start here. First posts are the hardest.

My name is Amy. I'm attending high school at Schuyler County R-1, and I'm involved in the Quiz Bowl team here. I have no idea what I'm doing with my future yet...maybe something with computers, maybe optometry, I don't know. My hobbies are, for the most part, reading novels and writing short stories and poems. I have a blog where I post some of my writing, but it's not really much of anything. I guess that's it.

brownkid101

Post by brownkid101 »

Hello, I'm Kisan Thakkar.

I go to Ladue High School, and I'm graduating in 2014.

That's about it.... :D

Simplicity

Post by Simplicity »

^Maybe I should post something too.

Hey there everybody, my name is Enze Chen, and I'm currently a sophomore at Ladue High School. This is my second year of quizbowl, and I like it quite a lot, although I don't quite enjoy the competitive aspect as much as the learning aspect of it(Science/US).

Some of my hobbies include math competitions, reading(Nonfiction/Classics/Teen Adventure), swimming, and water polo.

I hope to meet all of you at future tournaments, seeing how quizbowl has gotten so popular, even in comparison to last year. Go Missouri!

Yayz, first post.

AdmiralAokiji

Post by AdmiralAokiji »

Hey there everybody, my name is Jialin Ding, and I'm currently a sophomore at Ladue High School. This is my second year of quizbowl, and I like it quite a lot, and I quite enjoy the competitive aspect.

Some of my hobbies include math competitions, reading(manga/other), not swimming, and being better than Ben at everything other than quizbowl.

I hope to meet all of you at future tournaments, seeing how quizbowl has gotten so popular, even in comparison to last year. Go Missouri!

Yayz, first post.
Last edited by AdmiralAokiji on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

christino

Post by christino »

Hey there everybody, my name is Ben Zhang and I'm currently a sophomore at Ladue High School. This is my second year of quizbowl, and I like it quite a lot, and I quite enjoy the competitive aspect and beating everyone.

Some of my hobbies include debate, reading science, not running, and being better than Jialin and Enze at quizbowl, debate, and everything else I'm better at.

Yayz, 59th post.

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

I'm Michael Menkhus, and I'm a sophomore at Oakville Senior High School. This is my second year of quiz bowl, and I'm really enjoying it. When I'm not doing quiz bowl-related activities, I'm generally working on speech and debate.

My hobbies include listening to music (especially older albums), reading, and playing alto saxophone in the OHS Band.

Ameneses

Post by Ameneses »

I guess I should formally introduce myself as well. I'm Alex Meneses from Clayton High School and I'm a junior. My first tournament was at Wash-U last year, and I've been addicted since then. Aside from quiz bowl tournaments, I also compete in speech and debate where I frequently argue with Michael and Ben in Student Congress.

I love to read books and random wikipedia articles in my free time, but I find that I have a lot less time on my hands this year.

I hope to see you guys in the coming tourneys!