Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

ACF Fall 2011 at Truman State

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
Mickey0R0urke

ACF Fall 2011 at Truman State

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Cross-posted from hsquizbowl.org
JMAC the Chef wrote:The following is information regarding ACF Fall at Truman State

ACF Fall will be held at Truman State University in Kirksville, MO on Saturday, November 5, 2011. Check-in will begin at 8:30 am, play will begin at 9:00 am, and the tournament will be located in Baldwin Hall.

The base fee for teams is $120. Several discounts are available:

• $5 off for each working buzzer set.
• $10 off for each staffer.
• $5 for a laptop (1 per team)
• $10 off for every 200 miles you traveled (as determined by google maps)
• $25 for every team that is new to ACF
• $75 off for every team that is new to quizbowl.
• $50 off for high school teams

Minimum fee: $0

Packet submission discounts and penalties are as follows:

Packet submitted before 11:59 PM on:
Oct 10, 2011: No penalty (-$25 for teams not required to submit packets)
Oct 17, 2011: +$25
Oct 24, 2011: +$50
After Oct. 24, 2011: The editors may grant one or more 24-hour extensions at an additional penalty of $10 per day.

Please refer to the packet submission guidelines posted on the following pages:
Fees and Packet Requirements: http://www.acf-quizbowl.com/documents/packetsub.php
Formatting: http://www.acf-quizbowl.com/documents/formatting.php
ACF Fall Announcement Page: http://www.acf-quizbowl.com/acf_fall_2010.php

Additional information:
Driving directions: Kirksville is located on Hwy. 63 about 1.5 hours north of Columbia, MO. Driving time from the St. Louis or Kansas City is about 3 hours; roughly 5-6 hours from the Chicago area. The address to the university is 100 E Normal, Kirksville MO, 63501. Parking and hotel accommodations are plentiful.

Food: There are various options for breakfast and lunch on and off campus.

Payment: Please make checks payable to "Academic Competition Organization." Cash will also be accepted.

If you are interested in attending, please post here or email me at jwm7876@truman.edu or Kevin Robb at kar1111@truman.edu with the number of teams, buzzers, moderators, etc. that you will be bringing.

We hope to see you at the tournament on November 5th. You stay classy quizbowl.

Jared McNett
Truman State University
Academic Competition Organization, President

Mickey0R0urke

Re: ACF Fall 2011 at Truman State

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Jared's current (and most likely final) field.
Field Updates:
K-State- 2 Teams.
Mizzou- 1 Team
Tulsa- 1 Team
Truman- 3 teams
WashU- 1 team

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Stats for the initial round robin: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/79 ... _robin%29/

We're doing another round robin, but with just 1 house team instead of 3.

EDIT: Stats for the Final Round Robin (6 teams instead of 8, as we dropped 2 house teams): http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... _robin%29/
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Thanks to Truman for hosting! I had a great time staffing and honestly found very little to be lacking as far as logistics went. Staff was courteous and nice and teams seemed to be enjoying themselves. Questions and scoresheets were ready to go, the check-in process was super-efficient, and any questions I had all day were answered quickly and correctly. The building set up was a good choice (no up and down stairs for game rooms!).

If I had to make any complaints at all (and honestly this on a level just slightly above nitpicky), we did run a little late for a 12-round tournament. I can take a little responsibility for showing up at about 8:55 [as most of you heard I got pulled over... yeah, Chris, go ahead and make jokes]. However, during the course of the afternoon games there was at least one room running consistently behind and no one in charge seemed to be making an effort to get that room to catch up. The delays compounded, and we probably could have finished a solid 40 minutes earlier had an effort been made to fix the slow-down. There were staff hanging out in the stats room who might have been able to been shifted around to speed up the game rooms, perhaps.

Other than that, I was very pleased; again, weird things happen and 40 minutes wasn't the end of the world for us. The rest of the Mizzou team had fun playing and we will definitely be back for future events if our schedule allows. Now, I just have to hope Jared doesn't hunt me down for posting here... :P

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Combined Stats for both of the round robins we did can be found in that link.

Also congratulations to Nishanth from Wash U for his dominating performance today. He was impressive, to say the least.