Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2014 NAQT SCT Central at Truman State (2/08/14)

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
Mickey0R0urke

2014 NAQT SCT Central at Truman State (2/08/14)

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Hello everyone!

I am pleased to announce that Truman State will be hosting the Central site of the 2014 NAQT SCT on February 8, 2014.

This tournaments will take place in Baldwin Hall, which is building number 9 on this map (if you came to QUARK or SCT last year or ACF Fall this year, it was the building we met in). We'll be meeting in the Little Theatre (Room 176) in the morning. I'd like for teams to arrive no later than 8:30 AM.

Fees
$120 per first team from a school
$100 for each subsequent team from a school (so 3 teams would cost $320 before discounts)
Buzzer Discount: -$10 per each working system (Unlimited amount; this has to allow 8 players to play at once; if your system doesn't allow for 8 players to play, please don't bring it).
Clock Discount: -$5 per each timer a team brings (Unlimited number).
Moderator Discount: -$30 for each experienced moderator a team brings along.
Distance Discount: -$5 per every 100 miles traveled (one way, according to Google Maps).
New School Discount: -$20 per team for each team or school that did not compete in or host a Sectional in the last 2 years.

Registration
Registration occurs online on the NAQT website. The link to connect you to registration is here.

For payment, the system is going to be different this year. Hosts will be collecting payments from the attending teams. We'd prefer to accept cash or a check made out to "Academic Competition Organization" on the day of the tournament. If you need an invoice, let me know ASAP and I will do my best to get you one.

If your team has any questions about our site, or would like to express interest, feel free to email me at jacob.orourke.7@gmail.com.

Hope to see everyone in Kirksville on February 8!
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Re: 2014 NAQT SCT Central at Truman State (2/08/14)

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

An official field can be found here, but I'll also keep track of the field in this post.

Division I (4 Teams)
St Charles CC
WUSTL A [2 Buzzers]
Harding A [1 Buzzer, 1 Clock]
Purdue [2 Buzzers]

Division II (8 Teams)
Missouri [2 Teams, 1 Buzzer System]
Harding B [1 Buzzer, 1 Clock]
WUSTL B
Missouri Valley [1 Buzzer System]
Kansas State [2 Teams, 1 Buzzer System]
Drake [1 Buzzer Systems]

Totals: 10 Buzzers, 2 Clocks
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

After a little over a day of registration being open, we currently have 3 teams in each division.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

This tournament will for sure be taking place in Baldwin Hall. I've updated the main post to reflect this.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Thanks to registrations by Harding and WUSTL, we now have 4 teams in Division I and 5 teams in Division II. Keep the registrations coming in, everybody!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We've had a few more registrations over the past few days, so Division II is now up to 8 teams. Keep the registrations coming in, everybody!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Kansas State has registered 2 Division II teams and Purdue has switched Divisions to Division I (that should be made official in the next few days). The field is currently 5 Division I teams and 9 Division II teams.

Also, if you are going to register for this tournament (SEMO? Iowa? Drake? Iowa State? Anyone else I may have missed?), please do so in the next few days. Registration closes on Monday, February 3. We can still accept registrations after that, but I would prefer if everyone registered (or at least sent me an email indicating interest in registering) by Sunday. We can still comfortably accommodate more teams, so please register if you want to attend!

Once we get the field finalized, I will send a logistics email out to teams. This should hopefully be no later than Monday.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I just sent out a logistics email to teams. Our final field is 5 teams in Division I and 8 teams in Division II. If you haven't gotten my logistics email by 8:00 Pm tonight, let me know and I'll resend it.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

The field has been updated to reflect the latest drop from the field. Division II will be a round robin followed by bracketed playoffs of 4 teams each (so each team gets 10 games). Division I will be a triple round robin.

EDIT: Updated for the Division I Schedule

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I'd like to congratulate Missouri A, which cleared the field to win the automatic birth to ICT in Division II. Wash U A won Division I after being forced into the second game of an advantaged final.

Division I Stats
Division II Stats

I'd like to thank my readers (Jared McNett, Sean Phillips, Jeff Hill, Mike Uphoff, Chad Kubicek and Justin Bayer) for all of the help they gave me throughout the day. I'd also like to especially thank Houston Roberts, who helped me with a ton of organizational stuff in the days leading up to the tournament.

Hope everyone had a great time at Sectionals this year, and if you're not Wash U A or St Charles CC, please email me an address to mail your questions to (unless you're going to a tournament we'll see you later on at). Also, sorry about the questions-we had a limited amount of time to get them printed, but we'll definitely get them sent to you.