Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

MACA JV State - 3/11/17 at Helias

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Jason Loy

MACA JV State - 3/11/17 at Helias

Post by Jason Loy »

Hello coaches,

On behalf of the Missouri Academic Coaches Association, I am pleased to announce that the 2017 MACA JV State Tournament will be held on Saturday, March 11, 2017 at Helias High School in Jefferson City. We will be using a question set produced by Olympia Academic Competition Questions; the set is not currently scheduled to be used at any other tournament in Missouri this year. The limit on team size is eight, although teams of six or fewer students are encouraged. Schools may register multiple teams. All students in the 9th and 10th grades are eligible for this tournament regardless of experience or skill level; no students in the 11th or 12th grade are eligible. Each game consists of twenty tossups and up to twenty three-part, thirty point rebounding bonuses. The field will initially be capped at 18 teams, and registrations will be taken on a first-come, first-serve basis. Field expansion is possible given sufficient staff.

Entry fees are as follows:

First team from each school: $75
Second and subsequent teams from each school: $55
Providing a fully functioning buzzer system: -$5 per system (limit two per school)

All teams will play at least eight games regardless of performance; the exact format of the tournament will be decided once the field is set. Teams should expect to play a pooled round robin in the morning followed by rebracketing for afternoon play. Teams are expected to stay for the duration of the tournament so we can offer all teams their guaranteed number of games.

Plaques will be awarded to the top two overall finishers and the top two small schools (under 500 enrollment in grades 10-12, public, nonselective). Large and small schools will play in the same division.

To register, please email me at jloy@tuscumbialions.k12.mo.us with both the number of teams and buzzer systems that you plan to bring.

Please don't hesitate to email with any questions you may have. We look forward to seeing you in March.

Thank you,

Jason Loy
Tuscumbia High School
Secretary, Missouri Academic Coaches Association
Tournament Director, MACA JV State

Jason Loy

Re: MACA JV State - 3/11/17 at Helias

Post by Jason Loy »

Field: 19

Tuscumbia
Helias (2)
Hallsville
Houston
Moberly
Washington
Parkway Central
North Andrew
Rolla
Lighthouse Prep
Lakeland
Heartland
Everton (2)
Boonville
Jefferson City (2)

Waitlist:

Buzzers: (15)

Tuscumbia (2)
Houston
Washington
Smith-Cotton
North Andrew
Pleasant Hill
Sullivan
Rolla
Helias
Lakeland
Heartland
Kirksville
Boonville

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

We now have a spot open for this tournament.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I see the tournament went well - http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4329/

I just discovered an error in the stats… somehow 1220 tossups were heard between Helias B and Moberly in Round 3 of the prelims?

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Well, the day did run long for some of us, but that's the longest tiebreaker I've ever seen.....