Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

East Central College Novice (FRANC) 10/21

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
dwd50

East Central College Novice (FRANC) 10/21

Post by dwd50 »

I am happy to announce the first-ever East Central College Early Season Invitational on October 21st, 2017. The working title for this is the Franklin Regional Academic Novice Challenge, or FRANC. It will be held in the Fine Arts building of East Central College in Union, MO.

The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format. We will be using “Powers,” or 15 points for an early correct answer, but we will NOT be using “Negs” or “Interrupts” (-5 for early incorrect answers) Bonuses will be three parts, but will not rebound.

There are two targets for this tournament’s field:
1 - For developing teams to get a chance to play on a good easier-than-regular-difficulty set early in the year.
2 - For established teams and larger schools to give their younger players a chance to get acclimated to the high school quiz bowl canon.

To these goals:
- All Freshmen are eligible to play.
- All Sophomores can play, unless they averaged more than 12 points per game at either the NAQT HSNCT, SSNCT, or PACE National Championships last year.
- All Juniors can play, unless they
1) averaged more than 10 points per game at either the NAQT HSNCT, SSNCT, or PACE National Championships last year, or
2) averaged over 5 tossups a game at MSHSAA State last year.
- All Seniors can play unless they
1) averaged more than 7 points per game at either the NAQT HSNCT, SSNCT, or PACE National Championships last year, or
2) averaged over 3 tossups a game at MSHSAA State last year.
- Any player who has represented Missouri at the HSAPQ NASAT event is also ineligible.

If you did not attend a National tournament last year, or go to State Finals, then you are probably free to bring anyone on your roster.
For the other teams, the restrictions are set up as a sliding scale meant to favor your younger players.
While there are large schools who did not attend any of those events, we ask that most Class 4 schools please consider the spirit of this event as a building ground tournament for your JV Squad.

We are restricting team rosters to 6 players. If you have more players, feel free to sign them up for a second team.
We are interested in bringing more schools to this event, so C teams will automatically be placed on the waitlist.

The tournament will use the SOLON set of questions by members of the Dublin Scioto and Olentangy Liberty (OH) schools. It is edited by Tyler Benedict of Miami Valley HS (OH), who is collaborating with our WHAQ II set for our full HS tournament in December, so I’m very familiar with his work. It is written as an introduction to quiz bowl for new teams and players. What I have seen as far as a sample packet seems to fit that definition very well. You can read more about the set here.

We are currently capping the field at 18 teams. I am unsure about the availability of more rooms, so expansion of the field may prove difficult.

Prices are:-
$60 for the first team from a school, $50 for each additional team. (B, C, D, etc.)
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (must work for 8 players,
limit 2 per team)
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please
let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators.

Registration will begin at 8:30 AM, the first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12 PM. Most teams should be done by 4 PM.

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Rather than emailing me, please use this form to register. You are not registered until you receive a confirmation email from the tournament director.

Teams placing 1st-3rd will receive a trophy. There are prizes for the top 10 individual scorers from prelims.

If you have any other questions, my email is david.dennis at washington.k12.mo.us, and my phone is 314-239-2640.

WMR1 coach

Re: East Central College Novice (FRANC) 10/21

Post by WMR1 coach »

Hey David -- the registration form links to WHIT III. I didn't realize that until I submitted my form (we were going to sign up for that anyway). Thanks.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Yep, I caught it myself just a second ago. It's fixed now. I blame lack of coffee.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Field(12/18)
Bolded teams have confirmed rosters

Washington - 2
Hermann - 2
Wellsville
Cuba
Warrenton
Parkway Central
Sullivan
Christian
Owensville
St. Francis Borgia

Buzzers(12/9)
Washington - 4
Hermann
Cuba
Parkway Central
Sullivan - 2
Christian
Owensville - 2

Staff
Washington
St. James
Cuba
Sullivan
Last edited by dwd50 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:17 am, edited 7 times in total.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

We have one remaining spot left!

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Prelims are over. Stats are here.

Playoffs:
Washington A (2-0)
Parkway Central (1-1)
Sullivan (0-2)
Wellsville (2-0)
Washington B (1-1)
Borgia (0-2)

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Washington A has the advantage on Wellsville in the final, going on now.

Parkway Central is 3rd, followed by Sullivan, Washington B, and St. Francis Borgia.

Hermann A took the consolation bracket for 7th.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Washington A took the title in the first game of the final, 460-100

Thanks to the ECC Scholar Bowl team, Allyson and Nick, Ross Sparrow, WMS scorekeepers, and to Joel Doepker and ECC for letting us use their facility.