Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2010 NAQT Missouri Qualifier - March 20, 2010

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

2010 NAQT Missouri Qualifier - March 20, 2010

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The Missouri Quizbowl Alliance would like to invite you to the third annual NAQT Missouri Qualifier, to be held on the campus of the University of Missouri in Columbia on March 20, 2010. Please note that this is a change in location from previous iterations of this tournament.

The Missouri Quizbowl Alliance is an organization dedicated to providing high-quality quizbowl tournaments to all Missouri teams. Visit http://www.moqba.org for more information. As MOQBA's flagship event, this tournament regularly features a diverse field of teams from throughout Missouri, creating a championship atmosphere and recognizing the state's top teams for national tournament qualification. Matt Chadbourne and Jeffrey Hill will serve as tournament directors of this official NAQT event, which will use untimed NAQT rules. The top fifteen percent of the field will automatically qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament (HSNCT), to be held in Chicago, Illinois on May 28-30, 2010, and high-finishing teams will also qualify for the PACE National Scholastics Championship, which will be held at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia on June 5-6, 2010. In addition, the champion of this tournament is guaranteed a spot in the 2010 HSNCT, and the top team that had not qualified at a previously-held tournament will also receive a bid to HSNCT. MOQBA strongly encourages all teams to attend this tournament even if they do not intend to attend the HSNCT, in order to provide teams with a true representation of Missouri quizbowl.

Format:
This tournament will be run in the twenty tossup/bonus format. Games consist of twenty tossups worth ten points each followed by non-rebounding bonuses worth up to thirty points. Tossups will feature "powers" (additional points awarded for correct buzzes very early in the question) and "negs" (five point deductions for incorrect answers before the question is finished).

The field is currently limited to the first 32 teams to register, though we will make every effort to include all interested teams. There will not be a separate junior varsity division, but schools are welcome to register multiple teams.

The tournament will feature a bracketed round robin and playoff, the exact specifications of which will be determined by the final field size. The field will not be divided into small and large school divisions, but the top-finishing small-school team (as well as the top four teams overall) will receive trophies, and an all-tournament team will be recognized.

Pricing:
Base fee for first team: $55
Base fee for second and subsequent teams: $50
Moderator discount: $10 discount for each competent moderator your school brings
Buzzer discount: $5 discount for each working buzzer system your school brings
Travel discount: $10 discount for every 100 miles your school traveled to the tournament (one-way, as determined by Google Maps)
Early registration discount: $5 discount if your registration is received before February 20, 2010
The minimum entry fee is $25 per team.

Formalities:
Please email me, Jeffrey Hill (jeffrey AT hillonline DOT net), to sign up for the tournament, and include the number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you will be bringing. Registration on the morning of the tournament will begin at 8:00. Since the format we will be using may be unfamiliar to many teams, we will have a short team meeting at 8:45 to review the rules. The first round of tournament play will begin at 9:00.

After the completion of the tournament, each team in attendance will receive a copy of the questions used.

Updated tournament information, including a list of registered teams, can be found on the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board (http://www.moquizbowl.com) and will be updated regularly. Our tournaments traditionally fill extremely quickly, therefore it is highly advisable to reserve your spot early, and you are more than welcome to reserve your spot in the tournament before the payment process has been completed.

We hope to see you and your team in Columbia in March and wish you the best of luck as you compete this season. As always, if you have any questions about the tournament, don’t hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Hill
NAQT Missouri Qualifier Co-Director and Missouri Quizbowl Alliance webmaster

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

2010 NAQT Missouri Qualifier

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

List of registered teams [14] (last updated 3/16 @ 19:30)

Central (Cape Girardeau)
Centralia
Eureka
Fulton
Helias (2)
Kirksville
Mexico
North Kansas City
North Shelby
Oakville
Parkway West
Rock Bridge (2)
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Reason: several field updates

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

This tournament is now officially MSHSAA sanctioned.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Field updated (post #2 above).

Jeffrey Hill

Re: 2010 NAQT Missouri Qualifier

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Field updated in post #2 above. There is still plenty of room for many more teams, so please let me know if you would like to register.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

I'll talk to Zenfell about it tomorrow when we get back to school, but rest assured Parkway Central will make a showing.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Jeffrey Hill

Re: 2010 NAQT Missouri Qualifier - March 20, 2010

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Field updated above. Only 9 days left to qualify for the early registration discount!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

A few field updates above.

CherryCokeStain

Post by CherryCokeStain »

Really bad news for NKC. I'll be in Chicago that weekend. I can't make it. This sucks man. Now the only State tournament I get to be a part of is the MSHSAA one, and Lord knows that doesn't even count, and QG might not even let us make it there.
Have fun beating each other up Eastern Half of the State!

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

Check with Mehlville. I think that they had expressed interest in attending.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

CherryCokeStain wrote:Really bad news for NKC. I'll be in Chicago that weekend. I can't make it. This sucks man. Now the only State tournament I get to be a part of is the MSHSAA one, and Lord knows that doesn't even count, and QG might not even let us make it there.
Have fun beating each other up Eastern Half of the State!
Blah, that sucks. I don't think we're going either, but that's because we're extremely close to the 14-game limit (at least, our main team is).

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

Lol you know you can just send some JV/non-regulars to some of these tournaments, right? Especially considering how little experience PCH will have after this graduating class is gone....

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

WillHack wrote:Lol you know you can just send some JV/non-regulars to some of these tournaments, right? Especially considering how little experience PCH will have after this graduating class is gone....
That would work out very nicely. Except for the fact that I don't think the tournament limit is the reason we're not going. As far as I know it's more of a money issue...

Keith Moon

Post by Keith Moon »

something like that. Laziness might also be a factor, it comes naturally to our team. Fairly sure its money though

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Keith Moon wrote:something like that. Laziness might also be a factor, it comes naturally to our team. Fairly sure its money though
That's my understanding of the problem, but I'm not 100% for sure myself.

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

Where exactly is this tournament going to be held? I know on the Mizzou campus, but I haven't heard any specifics about location yet.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Strickland Hall (used to be GCB).

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

socalcaptain wrote:Strickland Hall (used to be GCB).
I'll be emailing coaches with more details tonight.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:
I'll be emailing coaches with more details tonight.[/quote]

Did that e-mail get sent? I didn't get one.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

CentraliaCoach wrote:
U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:I'll be emailing coaches with more details tonight.
Did that e-mail get sent? I didn't get one.
I just sent it out a few minutes ago.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

There have been several changes in the field today.

If you are still interested in participating, please email me as soon as possible. After hearing references to a couple of emails that I never received, I am suspicious that there might be an intermittent problem on my end with receiving emails at my hillonline address. For best results please contact me directly at jhill1987 AT gmail DOT com. Likewise, if you have ever tried to contact me via email about this tournament and never got a response, please let me know.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The field has not changed since Tuesday, so it still stands at 14 teams:

Central (Cape Girardeau)
Centralia
Eureka
Fulton
Helias (2)
Kirksville
Mexico
North Kansas City
North Shelby
Oakville
Parkway West
Rock Bridge (2)

Registration will begin at 8 AM in Room 210 of Strickland Hall, with a short team meeting around 8:45 before the games start at 9.

Assuming the field remains at 14 teams, teams will be divided into two pools of seven for the preliminary rounds, and will play a full round robin within their respective pools (6 games and 1 bye for each team.) A lunch break will follow the preliminary rounds.

At this point, teams will be ranked by record. The top 4 teams in each pool will advance to the championship playoff bracket, and the remaining teams will move to the consolation bracket. If there are any ties that affect who will advance to the championship bracket, tiebreaker half-games will be played as necessary.

In each playoff bracket, teams will play each team from the other preliminary pool (4 games for the championship bracket, 3 games for the consolation bracket.) We anticipate completing Round 11 around 4 PM, with finals following.

Upon completion of round 11, teams will be ranked based on record only against teams in the same playoff bracket. For instance, the record for a championship bracket team from preliminary pool A will include its preliminary games against the three other pool A teams in the championship bracket and the four playoff games against the championship bracket teams from pool B. In other words, games between teams in opposite playoff brackets will be disregarded.

If, after the conclusion of the playoffs, the first-place team in the championship bracket leads the second-place team by two or more games, that team is declared the champion. If the first-place team leads the second-place team by only one game, then an advantaged final will be played, with the second-place team needing to win two games and the first-place team needing to win only one. If the top two teams are tied, a one-game final will be played. Tiebreaker games will be played as necessary to determine second through fourth place.

Centralia and North Shelby are the only two schools in the field eligible for the small school title. If, after the conclusion of the playoffs, the higher-placing team ranks 8 or more positions higher than the lower-placing team, that team will be declared the small school champion. If the two teams are in the same playoff bracket and are tied, a one game final will be played. Otherwise, if the higher-placing team ranks seven or fewer positions above the lower-placing team, an advantaged final will be played, with the lower-placing team needing to win two games and the higher-placing team needing to win only one.

The top 15% of the field (three teams) will qualify for the 2010 NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, to be held May 28-30 in Chicago. The top small school will also qualify if that team places at the median position (7th) or better.

In addition, the top two teams will qualify for the 2010 PACE National Scholastics Championship, to be held June 5-6 at George Mason University in Fairfax, VA.

We eagerly anticipate seeing all of you in Columbia tomorrow and hope that you will have an enjoyable experience.

Jeffrey Hill
2010 NAQT Missouri Qualifier co-director

Machina

Post by Machina »

Can I just say, shout-out to Mexico!! That's where some of my family used to live. :D

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Machina wrote:Can I just say, shout-out to Mexico!! That's where some of my family used to live. :D
There's a great restaurant in Mexico, MO; I forget the name of it now. I was there for a political convention during the '04 campaign. Good food there. :)

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

PenforPrez wrote:There's a great restaurant in Mexico, MO; I forget the name of it now. I was there for a political convention during the '04 campaign. Good food there. :)
Was it G&D Steakhouse? I know that's one of my favorite restaurants in Mexico. They also have locations in Columbia :)

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

There's one in Rolla also; it's not bad.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Last minute field changes: Eureka and Kirksville dropped, but Rock Bridge C and Parkway Central managed to field teams so we are still at 14 teams, qualifying the top 3 for HSNCT! So glad to see nearly everyone make it despite the weather. Updates at http://twitter.com/moquizbowl as I find time.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:Last minute...and Parkway Central managed to field teams
That's news to Ammar...
Any idea who's on the team/which adults are with them?

Scratch that, talked to Rumple. Should be interesting to see how they do...

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Prelim Records

Pool A
Cape Central 6-0
Rock Bridge A 5-1
Helias B 4-2
Pkwy Central 3-3
Mexico 2-4
Parkway West 1-5
Centralia 0-6

Pool B
Helias A 6-0
Oakville 5-1
Fulton 4-2
NKC 3-3
Rock Bridge C 2-4
North Shelby 1-5
Rock Bridge B 0-6

Playoff Brackets, with records against teams in the same bracket

Finals Bracket
Cape Central 3-0
Rock Bridge A 2-1
Helias B 1-2
Parkway Central 0-3
Helias A 3-0
Oakville 2-1
Fulton 1-2
NKC 0-3

Consolation Bracket (*-small school eligible)
Mexico 2-0
Parkway West 1-1
Centralia* 0-2
Rock Bridge C 2-0
North Shelby* 1-1
Rock Bridge B 0-2

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Centralia will face North Shelby in the small-school final immediately after the completion of Round 10, while the upper bracket concludes play in their Round 11 matches. Following that, we will have an awards ceremony followed by finals if necessary.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Helias won the tournament, with Cape Central in 2nd place, so both of them qualified for the HSNCT. North Shelby took the small school title over Centralia.

I do not know any further results. Official stats should be up in the next few days, as Jeffrey Hill, our TD and statistician, needed to get back on the road immediately following the conclusion of the tournament due to the unreal snowy weather (it's spring and it's snowing!).

Good job to all teams that played today. It was a great tournament and I look forward to seeing everyone again.

Acceleration

Post by Acceleration »

How well were the questions written?

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Stats should be coming by the end of the day. Thanks for your patience everyone.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

socalcaptain wrote:Helias won the tournament, with Cape Central in 2nd place, so both of them qualified for the HSNCT.
I thought this was wrong, but I wanted to check the scoresheet first before I made a correction: the score of the 2nd place tiebreaker game was Rock Bridge A 225, Cape Central 110, meaning Rock Bridge A took 2nd and Cape Central took 3rd. Since we had 14 teams, both teams did qualify for HSNCT (though only Rock Bridge A qualified for PACE NSC).

More details as soon as I get the playoff stats entered into SQBS.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Acceleration wrote:How well were the questions written?

They were pretty good. A few were QG-esque bonuses but I suspect that this was more due to a rush job (according to Charles, they asked him a week before the tournament to write 30-something questions for this packet and he refused) than anything else.

Central did badly only because we had me and Nick there, and we were only planning to keep scores, not actually play... still, great fun XD

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Quick Results [records listed only include games against teams in same playoff bracket]:
1. Helias A (7-0)
2. Rock Bridge A (6-2) [won 2nd place tiebreaker]
3. Cape Central (5-3)
4. Oakville (4-3)

Small school:
1. North Shelby (3-3) [won small school final]
2. Centralia (2-4)

Prelim stats
Playoff stats
All games

Full recap coming soon.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

ZhangC1459 wrote:

They were pretty good. A few were QG-esque bonuses but I suspect that this was more due to a rush job (according to Charles, they asked him a week before the tournament to write 30-something questions for this packet and he refused) than anything else.
That's a significant exaggeration; while everyone writing for NAQT got a notification that questions were needed to finish this set a while ago, I was certainly not personally asked to write 30 (or any other number) of questions--and definitely not a week before this tournament. A few of the questions were "QG like" in that they covered general knowledge topics which Questions Galore has made a joke of in Missouri*--not that they share any of the other lamentable aspects of Questions Galore (such as absurd answer choices, incomprehensible clues, etc.).

*To specify, there was one [redacted] bonus in the packet, which I joked was Questions Galore-like because of QG's notorious tendency to write excessive amounts of [redacted] questions. However, the existence of one bonus (out of 360) on the topic certainly can't compare to QG's tendency of having one or more bonuses on the topic per game. Also, this one wasn't terribly written or unanswerable, unlike many of QG's questions on this (and every other) topic.
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed vague hints about question content. I am going to be more strict on the question discussion policy for this particular set.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Especially since many state championships are going to be run on this particular set (IS-95), I am going to start being more cautious about question discussion and enforce the question discussion policy more strictly. No hints at all as to the content or subjects of the questions. (As hsquizbowl puts it, anything that gives a team who reads the board an advantage over someone who doesn't is not allowed.)

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Charbroil wrote:
ZhangC1459 wrote:

That's a significant exaggeration; while everyone writing for NAQT got a notification that questions were needed to finish this set a while ago, I was certainly not personally asked to write 30 (or any other number) of questions--and definitely not a week before this tournament. A few of the questions were "QG like" in that they covered general knowledge topics which Questions Galore has made a joke of in Missouri*--not that they share any of the other lamentable aspects of Questions Galore (such as absurd answer choices, incomprehensible clues, etc.).

*To specify, there was one [redacted] bonus in the packet, which I joked was Questions Galore-like because of QG's notorious tendency to write excessive amounts of [redacted] questions. However, the existence of one bonus (out of 360) on the topic certainly can't compare to QG's tendency of having one or more bonuses on the topic per game. Also, this one wasn't terribly written or unanswerable, unlike many of QG's questions on this (and every other) topic.
I was tired. I wasn't sure if you were serious about 30 or not and I'm not even sure i remembered the number right, all I know is that you went for homework over questionwriting.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:Especially since many state championships are going to be run on this particular set (IS-95), I am going to start being more cautious about question discussion and enforce the question discussion policy more strictly. No hints at all as to the content or subjects of the questions. (As hsquizbowl puts it, anything that gives a team who reads the board an advantage over someone who doesn't is not allowed.)
Ah, sorry about that--I should have known better.
ZhangC1459 wrote:I was tired. I wasn't sure if you were serious about 30 or not and I'm not even sure i remembered the number right, all I know is that you went for homework over questionwriting.
It's fine; I was just clarifying what I said lest anyone take it the wrong way.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

My apologies for misreporting the results there....I must have misheard something.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Coaches,

Thank you once again for attending the 2010 NAQT Missouri Qualifier. I was pleased to see nearly every team make it considering the suboptimal weather throughout much of the state. I hope that everyone made it back home safely.

Helias A went undefeated and finished two wins ahead of the entire field to win the 2010 NAQT Missouri Qualifier. Rock Bridge A and Cape Central finished the playoff rounds at 5-2 against other championship bracket teams and played a tiebreaker game; Rock Bridge A won that game 225-110 to take second place. Oakville placed fourth with a 4-3 record in the championship bracket. Centralia and North Shelby tied in the consolation bracket, and played a one-game final to determine the small school champion; North Shelby won that game 160-45 to take the small school title. Full statistics for the tournament may be found at http://results.scobo.net/MOQBA.

As a result of their strong performances, Helias A, Rock Bridge A, and Cape Central have qualified for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, to be held Memorial Day weekend in Chicago. Helias A and Rock Bridge A also qualified for the PACE National Scholastics Championship on June 5-6 at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. Information about these national tournaments can be found at http://www.naqt.com and http://www.pace-nsc.org, respectively.

This tournament would not have been possible without the fantastic logistical support of my parents, Jerry and Donna, brother, Kyle, and sister, Katelin; Lucas Mobberley and Alex Smith from Missouri S&T; and the many Missouri Quizbowl Alliance members who all graciously volunteered their time to staff. Special thanks to my co-director, Matt Chadbourne, for his work in organizing the tournament. Even though Matt was unable to attend, the three years I spent assisting him with the organization of numerous tournaments at Missouri S&T made it possible for me to direct this event.

Each member of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance strives to provide the best possible experience at every tournament we are involved in running. Especially since this was the first tournament MOQBA has run as an organization, as well as my first time directing a tournament, I appreciate any feedback you may have about the tournament so that we can make future MOQBA-hosted tournaments even better.

We are discussing potential dates for next year's NAQT Missouri Qualifier and hope to announce a date in the next few weeks. I encourage you to regularly check our website, http://www.moqba.org, as well as the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board at http://www.moquizbowl.com, for announcements of next season's tournaments.

All the best to each of your teams as you compete the rest of this season.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Hill
Missouri Quizbowl Alliance

Keith Moon

Post by Keith Moon »

suboptimal....t-shirt in snow sucks. :evil:

But all in all, I loved the tournament, had a fun time playing, even if me and Chris didn't expect it