Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

ANNOUNCEMENT: Missouri Open II (08/14/2010) at MU

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Charlie Dees

ANNOUNCEMENT: Missouri Open II (08/14/2010) at MU

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hey everyone,
The weekend of August 14th, USF is running an open tournament called Sun N Fun, which is open for mirrors. If we can find some local volunteers, I'd like to run a mirror of it at MU. The set is going to be way harder than a normal high school set, and it's specifically catered towards college players, but I know some of you high schoolers are really adventurous and have already played sets that are really hard, so I'm curious to find out if any of you would be interested in either attending or staffing. If you are a college person, or formerly one, sign up here too.
Last edited by Charlie Dees on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

logic2718

Re: Missouri Open II?

Post by logic2718 »

I would be interested.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I'd probably show up.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I hate to be the complete idiot in this thread, but by open, you mean anyone, right?

As for teams, and that's presuming that teams are competing and this isn't an individual tournament, should they form beforehand & register accordingly, or will players just show up that day and pair up?

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

I shall be... depends. I want to go to Pointfest 27 on the 14th but I'll be available to staff 15th

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

I can probably make it to this.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

ZhangC1459 wrote:I shall be... depends. I want to go to Pointfest 27 on the 14th but I'll be available to staff 15th
Don't hold your breath for a Sunday event.

Anyway, yeah, if this happens, open means open, no restrictions on who can play (coaches, it's open to you too!). Pick teams beforehand - if you don't know what team you want to play on, just post in here saying you want to come and then contact other people who do the same.

A word of warning: the announcement says that teams need to submit half packets before they can play, so don't be shocked if you need to do the same. However, writing half a packet between 3 or 4 people is really nothing, so hopefully that won't be a hindrance.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Hey everyone,
...The set is going to be way harder than a normal high school set...
Have you considered mirroring the VCU Novice set instead, given the relative weakness of your field?

In any case, I'm not sure when I'm leaving for China, but if I'm in the country this weekend, I'll definitely be there, along with some sort of team.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I'm not going to do that because I will be playing VCU Open, and I am not willing to spend the amount of time writing that set that I would need to if I were going to be allowed to mirror it. Mizzou has run small mirrors of hard opens before that went well, so I don't see any reason to not do this if people know going in what to expect.

Machina

Post by Machina »

I'll probably be up for this. I think I'll be in town.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Anyway, yeah, if this happens, open means open, no restrictions on who can play (coaches, it's open to you too!). Pick teams beforehand - if you don't know what team you want to play on, just post in here saying you want to come and then contact other people who do the same.

A word of warning: the announcement says that teams need to submit half packets before they can play, so don't be shocked if you need to do the same. However, writing half a packet between 3 or 4 people is really nothing, so hopefully that won't be a hindrance.
On this note, I'm a free agent for this and can write whatever portion of a packet is needed.

L-Town Expatriate

Get the WD-40 out. In the words of the venerable entrepreneur Peter Jones, "I'm in." Free agent and packet writing galore.

Do we have question distribution requirements to follow?

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Well, pointfest is in the evening, but it means I have to get back down here before like 6. Not sure if that can happen... so I'm not sure if I'll be going. I know it seems kinda stupid for me to skip this just because of Pointfest, but I didn't get to go to the one at the beginning of the summer and the lineup for this one is much better for me anyways.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Don't worry about it, if you want to go to a concert near your house nobody's going to judge you for not being hardcore enough or something (although now that I know Pointfest involves an Avenged Sevenfold concert, I may be making endless fun of your musical taste once you come to MU practices. Fair warning).

L-Town Expatriate

Thanks, Jason.

Resuming the role as the complete idiot in this thread, does this mean that half-packets we submit are being used in South Florida and whoever else mirrors it? And the pay structure's going to be the same?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

The half packets would become a part of the whole set, so yeah, they would be used everywhere. I have not been given a message back from Ahmad yet approving use of the set, so there are a lot of requirements that I don't know of yet. I'm not sure what the prices will be yet, so let me hear back and then I will answer you.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Don't worry about it, if you want to go to a concert near your house nobody's going to judge you for not being hardcore enough or something (although now that I know Pointfest involves an Avenged Sevenfold concert, I may be making endless fun of your musical taste once you come to MU practices. Fair warning).
As long as it's not country or pure rap i'll listen to it.

L-Town Expatriate

ashkenaziCD wrote:Don't worry about it, if you want to go to a concert near your house nobody's going to judge you for not being hardcore enough or something (although now that I know Pointfest involves an Avenged Sevenfold concert, I may be making endless fun of your musical taste once you come to MU practices. Fair warning).
At least he's not lining up to see Justin Biebler or Wilson Philips. :lol:

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
At least he's not lining up to see Justin Biebler or Wilson Philips. :lol:
God forbid, and don't know who Wilson Philips is.

octo

Post by octo »

Unless something comes up I am definitely interested in this.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

We're going official!

I want to invite interested players to attend Missouri Open II: Reading Bible Bowl Questions off of Labtops. We will be mirroring the Sun 'n' Fun XI tournament being edited by Ahmad Ragab of USF Quizbowl. This will be a totally open tournament, where any player can play with anybody else regardless of school affiliation, age, or even if you are actually a student anywhere.

This tournament will be what is colloquially known as "ass hard." It is intended to be as difficult as tournaments like ACF Nationals, the collegiate championship. I don't want to discourage motivated players from attending, but know going in that this is going to be a set that is going to be hard even for good college players. If you are in high school, do not expect this to be anything like a regular high school event, the tossups and bonuses both will be exceptionally harder. This is more recommended as a learning experience kind of event, rather than as a chance to play very accessible questions and have really high scoring games, so caveat emptor. I have been incredibly impressed by how motivated some of the recent crop of Missouri players are, though, so I think this could definitely be a very beneficial experience.

I am not going to institute any hard and fast rules about team composition. However, I think it would be a good idea if teams were to make some attempts at spreading out talent, so I would encourage good college players to be open minded to letting some high schoolers or novice college players on their team. Feel free to use this thread to matchmake, and you can also email me if you want some help getting a team together.

This tournament will require half-packet submissions from teams with any players who are required to submit packets to ACF events. If you participated in a non-CBI, hybrid, or IS-set academic college tournament before September 1, 2009, this means you. If you want to write more questions, you can also submit full packets for a big discount. To be clear - the half packet requirement applies to teams, not players. Even if you wouldn't have to write a packet, as long as you have a teammate who would, your team will be expected to write.

Here is the distribution for half packets:
2/2 Lit (1/1 English-language, 1/1 non-English language)
2/2 History (1/1 North America/UK, 1/1 Rest of World)
3/3 Science ( 1/1 Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
2/2 Fine Arts (1/1 Non-Operatic Classical Music, 1/1 Whatever)
1/1 RMP
1/1 SS
1/1 GK/Current Events/Georgraphy/Trash

If you want to submit a full packet, the distribution can be found at the ACF Website. Geography is optional.

Here is Ahmad's directive on writing:
A word on difficulty, power marks and length:
I would like the difficulty to approximate ICT or ACF Nationals, though please feel free to include a tossup and bonus or two on worthwhile but post-Nationals level difficulty. Also, in the spirit of shorter, snappier tossups please restrict tossup length to no longer than seven lines 10pt TNR font (one inch margins). Also if you would please place (*) power marks in your tossups, but understand that they may be altered slightly.
The base fee structure will be as follows:
$120 for teams who do not submit a half packet
$50 for teams who submit their half packet by August 1st
$30 for teams that submit full packets by August 1st

There will be a $5 discount for every buzzer your team brings, and a $5 discount to each team for bringing at least one laptop (if you want to bring more, go for it, but there will only be one discount).

Please send your packets by the August 1st deadline to Ahmad at aragab at mail dot usf dot edu. If you want to register for the tournament, please email MizzouQuizbowl@gmail.com.

See you in August!

Charlie Dees

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Missouri Open II (08/14/2010) at MU

Post by Charlie Dees »

Also, we would like staff for this. If you want to play, by all means, do so, but if you are a good moderator and for whatever reason you would like to come to the tournament and not play, please get in touch with me because we can definitely use you.

L-Town Expatriate

Given that recent call, I think I'd prefer to be a moderator. That said, I'll be willing to chip in questions for any team that needs help putting together a packet, if that is permissible.

Also, TNR FTL. It's as overused as Arial and Helvetica.

octo

Post by octo »

To clarify: would teams not required to write a half packet have to pay $50 or $120 for entry?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

$120. If you write the packet, that's the only way to get any kind of discount greater than $5.

Lunchbox

Post by Lunchbox »

I'd come to this. Depends on cross country training, but I should be able to attend.

Also, I'd just like to say how much I love TNR. It's simple, easy to read, aesthetically pleasing, and its use as the universal font just proves it as the best font for use in any document. And my God, just look at those serifs. Honestly, the serifs are the only thing separating TNR from Helvetica and Arial as the best font. Hands down, TNR rules. Frank Ruehl is also pretty awesome.

octo

Post by octo »

In that case, any potential JCHS team would probably try to write a half packet.

PCreedon

Post by PCreedon »

Damn, I would love to go, but I'm moving my stuff to Oklahoma that weekend. Anywho, if you need any any help with questions, I could probably bust out about 20 good questions. Send me a PM if you want me to.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hey everyone,
I've been unexpectedly forced to be off the grid because my computer died (this wasn't a huge problem for here, but on hsquizbowl it was), so I just wanted to check in on this thread to remind people to sign up, and if anybody wants to ask anything feel free.

L-Town Expatriate

Will there be a penalty charged to teams whose packets use Dan Gilbert's preferred choice of font? :lol:

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Comic Sans MS is the best font, hurrr hurrr...

:lol:

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Can we get a field update? I sent in a registration, by the way.

octo

Post by octo »

Turns out we're not taking a team to this, but Isaac and I can staff.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

And as for me, it turns out the hell with Pointfest again. I'll go next year.

I can staff.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I won't be able to make this after all.

PHSouth

Post by PHSouth »

POSSIBLE STUPID QUESTION ALERT::::::::::::

Read on at your own risk...

Would attending this affect our eligibility to participate in MSHSAA sponsored events?

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

Sam: Participating will not affect MSHSAA eligibility.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Charlie, have you considered mirroring the last 9 rounds of Ike Jose's literature tournament at this?

Also, what does the field look like? Do you know which building this will be in, etc?

Machina

Post by Machina »

Ikshu, Dylan, one of Dylan's friends, and I will be playing this together. We're writing a half-packet for the August 1 deadline.

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

Caleb Robbins, Laura Douglass, and I are looking for a fourth. PM me or post here if you're interested.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10290

What's the plan if the entire tournament gets moved back a week?

Machina

Post by Machina »

Ooh. Would the packet submission be pushed back?

L-Town Expatriate

If this does get pushed back a week, everyone there will be graced by my lack of presence. I'll be in New York visiting college friends.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Machina wrote:Ooh. Would the packet submission be pushed back?
Ahmad told me that he'll probably allow extensions to the 7th regardless because of the relative lack of packets at the moment.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

If this is in fact pushed back a week I would likely be able to attend.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

if it's pushed back a week I'll definitely be able to go staff seeing as I'll have moved in to Mizzou by then

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

So I sent the half-packet to Ahmad yesterday. However, I haven't gotten a reply. Should I expect one or should I just assume he got it?

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

logic2718 wrote:So I sent the half-packet to Ahmad yesterday. However, I haven't gotten a reply. Should I expect one or should I just assume he got it?
I got a response from him when I emailed him asking a question, so I imagine that you should assume he got it. You can always email him asking for confirmation, though.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »